Close

Thread: Oil choices

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Oil choices

What is the oil of choice here for the modded n54? I see a lot of people are running motul. I've always been a fan of royal purple myself. Any reasons to change weights? For those that change their own, do you suck it out or drain it. Honestly I haven't changed the oil on mine yet, the dealers been changing mine at about every 5k miles under my maintenance plan...hahaha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

I stick with OEM, but I also have the maintenance package so there's really no reason to switch my oil/oil filters/brake pads/brake rotors
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I run german castrol 0w-30 and change the oil along with the filter every 6-7k miles. I just remove filter, drain the old oil out, install new filter, then refill with new oil.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Mobile1 euro blend 0w40. Chang at 7500 miles.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I run rotella t6 5w-40. I like it, 0 zero oil consumption, and the motor runs smooth. I did a track day with it, and changed the oil 5k later and it didn't seem degraded. I plan to do a UOA at some point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I've used the following:

Total quartz 0W30
    Total quartz 10W50
    Total ineo MC3 5W30
    Pentosin 5W30
    Mobil 1 0W40-Currently using.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Fuchs Titan Race 5w-40 here. I also put a can of X-1R.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Fuchs Titan Race 5w-40 here. I also put a can of X-1R.
    Are you using X-1R Oil Stabilizer and DI Booster?? Was thinking that stuff was a scam. But maybe they do some good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    I run rotella t6 5w-40. I like it, 0 zero oil consumption, and the motor runs smooth. I did a track day with it, and changed the oil 5k later and it didn't seem degraded. I plan to do a UOA at some point.
    +1 for Rotella T6. Back in my Subaru days I was running Mobil1 and lost a little under a quart between changes. After doing some research I switched to T6 and the consumption stopped. Been using it ever since.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JC335xi Click here to enlarge
    +1 for Rotella T6. Back in my Subaru days I was running Mobil1 and lost a little under a quart between changes. After doing some research I switched to T6 and the consumption stopped. Been using it ever since.
    Funny, my car can't seem to get past 1/2 a track day without drinking 1/2 a quart of Mobil 1 0W40!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Funny, my car can't seem to get past 1/2 a track day without drinking 1/2 a quart of Mobil 1 0W40!
    Give it a try next oil change. It's fairly cheap too, about $26/gallon here. I read a really good UOA from an n54 somewhere, I can't remember if it was on e90post or bobistheoilguy.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I used to run rotella in my subie as well. That car would drink mobil1 but not so much on the rotella. Maybe i'll give that a try next. It's a bit more accessible that RP or Motul.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    my car hasnt been consuming ANY oil in 7000 miles since i removed the catch can and i did not spare it (dont think is related to the X1-R stuff).
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Motul Power V300 5W 40. I Change it with filter every 4k miles, and only add half a quart in between changes. Car has 90k miles and still going strong tuned.
    E92 AT. COBB S2+ , FBOs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

^$#@! yeah. Motul 300V ftw... double-ester base.. you get what you pay for. if you cant shell out for 300V get 8100 from Motul, single-ester base Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

my car hasnt been consuming ANY oil in 7000 miles since i removed the catch can and i did not spare it (dont think is related to the X1-R stuff).
    I'm at 98,000 miles though, with hard track driving Click here to enlarge Say enrita, did you ever get anywhere regarding an upgraded radiator for the 6AT?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I'm at 98,000 miles though, with hard track driving Click here to enlarge Say enrita, did you ever get anywhere regarding an upgraded radiator for the 6AT?
    nope but i am pretty sure is not that difficult to do. i am debating if it would be better to completely separate it from the heat exchanger or get the oil go through the radiator and than the heat exchanger.
    Temp are getting low here so will be a 2013 project.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    ^$#@! yeah. Motul 300V ftw... double-ester base.. you get what you pay for. if you cant shell out for 300V get 8100 from Motul, single-ester base Click here to enlarge
    Surprisingly, I've seen some pretty ugly UOA's from 300v back in the VQ World. You should do a UOA to compare. As a matter of fact we all should. It would make a great sticky.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Surprisingly, I've seen some pretty ugly UOA's from 300v back in the VQ World. You should do a UOA to compare. As a matter of fact we all should. It would make a great sticky.
    sure. gunna have to drain the oil for the future chra change-up so why not.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Are ypu saying the catch can caused you to use more oil? What catch can did you have?
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Are ypu saying the catch can caused you to use more oil? What catch can did you have?
    AR
    Click here to enlarge