Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

cobb e30 OTS map log

I started a similar thread over on another forum, wanted to see if I got any better/different responses over here.

I am trying out the e30 maps, and looking at my first log, it looks like i have a throttle closure with a bit of overboost, as well as some timing corrections.

What would you guys do to back the map off a bit, I'm not sure how to adjust the wastegate tables...
    As for timing, cylinders 2,4,6 look to have a few pulls, maybe I should drop everything a degree? My plugs are probably about 12k miles old or so...

Help please and thank youdatalog1.csv.txt

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I'd suggest sending the log to Cobb as they're beta maps. I'm sure they'd be able to clean that up.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I also did that...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

AT or MT? back tyre size?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

MT 265/30r19...
    xi car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3rd gear? This log has a very odd power profile.

T

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes, 3rd gear. What do you mean by odd power profile?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

What octane is the pump gas you are blending the E85 with?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I moved the wastegate table back to the settings from stage 2+ and pulled the timings down 1 degree from the e30 ots.

I guess we'll see

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flexinator Click here to enlarge
    I moved the wastegate table back to the settings from stage 2+ and pulled the timings down 1 degree from the e30 ots.

I guess we'll see
    TBH, the log has a few minor 3 degree corrections in 2, 4 and 6 which isn't a big deal and could very well disappear on your next pull. We were asking about your car specs because we all wanted to punch it into VD which is showing you are making around 390 awhp, which is great!

Did you run the car immediately after you filled the tank with E85, or did you give the system time to blend? FYI, 5.5 gallons of E85 to the rest of the tank on pump gas is about E36.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I know it was more than e30, I figured it was safer to use a bit more e85 than less.
    I let it sit for a few hours, then ran highway speeds for ten miles before this log... So I'm pretty sure it's mixed. I am just worried to see peak boost hit 20 with throttle closures. So I made a hybrid stage 2+ e30 map as above. I don't understand how the wastegate tables work, can anyone explain what the changes are on the ots e30 map?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

can anyone explain what the changes are on the ots e30 map?
    Cobb can I would think @COBB Tuning

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I know it was more than e30, I figured it was safer to use a bit more e85 than less.
    I let it sit for a few hours, then ran highway speeds for ten miles before this log... So I'm pretty sure it's mixed. I am just worried to see peak boost hit 20 with throttle closures. So I made a hybrid stage 2+ e30 map as above. I don't understand how the wastegate tables work, can anyone explain what the changes are on the ots e30 map?
    The throttle blade didn't shut all the way, it was actually very minor trimming. You spiked 20 psi for less than 100 RPM which doesn't necessarily hit the throttle body then sustained a clean 17.5 psi tapering off to 14 where the log cuts off. Quite honestly, if the timing corrections are consistently dropping in multiple gears like that, you could pull a degree of timing out and see how it reacts to the change. Otherwise, in regards to boost, the tiny bit of trimming isn't even significant and you'd see such behavior on piggybacks as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Here you go:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

@Flexinator the logs don't look too bad at all. Your short term trims are not ideal, but not near their limits either. Try to get a 30% mix in there and log again (you said you're running higher than e30). As for the timing corrections, you could definitely pull a degree or 2 out and see where you're at. How long did you run this map before logging? It does take a bit for the car to adjust to the fuel and depending on how full the tank is, it can take a little time to get a good mix on the e85 and 93. If you're going to run something other than e30, you really need to set the appropriate fuel scalar and adjust it depending on your logs.

As for the changes made, you'll see adjustments to the timing, fueling, WGDC, WGDC adders, some of the timing correction, and of course the fuel scalar tables.

edit: as for the slight overboost, make sure to do a couple logs and see if it's repeatable. You can back down the WGDC(Base) values in the trouble area to get boost levels under control if it continues to overshoot targets.
    Last edited by Josh@Cobb; 09-04-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What do you mean the stfts are not ideal? They are not pinned fully negative or positive, I don't mind moving the scalars around myself, I'm just not sure what to look for besides not having maxed out corrections. I guess I'll make a few more logs and go from there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

What do you mean the stfts are not ideal? They are not pinned fully negative or positive, I don't mind moving the scalars around myself, I'm just not sure what to look for besides not having maxed out corrections. I guess I'll make a few more logs and go from there.
    Definitely get a couple more logs to make sure everything is consistent (good or bad). Your trims aren't bad, but we like to see them within +/- 10%. As you said, you're not maxing them out positive or negative, but the closer you can get them to 0, the more headroom you have for possible fluctuation in ethanol content. Your STFT's will eventually move into LTFT, that's why we want you to monitor both. Your LTFT's look good in the log, so that's definitely a plus. The actual trims are a combination of the 2. For example, at around 3900 rpm, your LTFT is -4.69 and the STFT is 15.13 so the DME is actually adding 10.44% fuel (15.13 - 4.69).
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

You sure about fuel trims... I thought LTFT was averaged and STFT was realtime.

OP, as stated you potentially need to reduce your base map... but no body tells you how to do this unfortunately. Add MAF and setpoint factor channels to your log to know where to amend the table. Your base is higher then needed, so you are removing DC through PID... its better to add DC in the DME's case. It wouldn't hurt to reduce all the higher load DC cells since your WGs seem to be fairly tight.

There is a drastic ignition reduction due to overshooting load (I guess)... I haven't really seen this until recently. Reducing these interferences would good. We do have throttle trimming options, but haven't noticed anything for ign. The ign retard probably increased spool for the second overshoot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge

OP, as stated you potentially need to reduce your base map... but no body tells you how to do this unfortunately. Add MAF and setpoint factor channels to your log to know where to amend the table. Your base is higher then needed, so you are removing DC through PID... its better to add DC in the DME's case. It wouldn't hurt to reduce all the higher load DC cells since your WGs seem to be fairly tight.

There is a drastic ignition reduction due to overshooting load (I guess)... I haven't really seen this until recently. Reducing these interferences would good. We do have throttle trimming options, but haven't noticed anything for ign. The ign retard probably increased spool for the second overshoot.
    I don't know what you mean about setpoint factor, removing dc through pid... can you explain a bit more please?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge

I believe STFT's are WOT and LTFT's are cruising/part throttle trims

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Short terms are more of a real-time trim while the long-terms are for a persisting condition. If you consistently have a state that produces -10% on your STFT's, that -10% will eventually get moved into the LTFT and the short-terms will work off of that base.

Regardless of all of this, you want both as close to zero as possible.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

From our tuning guide:

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu...lpFile_BMW.pdf

STFT 1-2 – Short term fuel Trims for bank one and two displayed in %.

LTFT Bank 1-2 – Long term fuel trims for bank one and two displayed in %.

Fuel trims refer to adjustments being made by the DME dynamically to the base fuel table to get the proper air fuel ratio. Short term fuel trim refers to adjustments being made in response to temporary conditions. Long term fuel trims are used to compensate for issues that seem to be present over a longer period. Fuel trims are expressed in percentages; a positive value indicates lean (add fuel) and negative values indicate rich (subtract fuel). On the N54 Fuel trim banks refer to the 3 cylinder banks related to each turbo. Fuel trims are generally calculated by using a wide set of data values, including pre-cat O2 sensors, intake air temperature/pressure, ECT, knock sensors, engine load, throttle position, and even battery voltage can effect fuel trim. Long term fuel trims generally should not exceed +-10%, while short term trims at idle should be in the +- 3% range. The N54 has the ability to adjust up to +- 34%.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

So i basically increased the fuel scalar to compensate for e35, and dropped the timing about a degree. Here are a few logs, 1 is a wot run, 2 and 3 are with a few shifts just driving through the gears. Let me know what you think about boost levels and stft'sdatalog3.csv.txt

i can't seem to attach the other 2 logs... lets see if i can make a pretty graph...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

here's a look...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

here is the chart of running a few gears, You can see I overboost everytime, and there are a few bigger timing corrections happening...

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast