Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

-4an Meth Lines all come with aluminum fittings

So basically every single line I can find comes with aluminum fittings.

Even the stainless steel lines that Devil's Own sells for their meth kits come with aluminum fittings. Should there be a concern with corrosion?

I know type 3 hard anodized aluminum is supposed to be able to stand up to corrosion for a LONGG LONGG time, but there's really no way to confirm the type of aluminum used on the fittings.

Anybody switch over to brass fittings or just use JIC/SAE fittings instead? I was hoping to buy line with pre-installed fittings, but if that doesn't work out I'll end up just buying my own hose and hoping I can correctly install my own fittings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump to get answers

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am switching over to all JIC fittings instead of -4an. I will be using all stainless steel fittings as well as lines and also installing the JIC 1/4" fittings onto the hose ends to replace the aluminum -4an fittings.

Thanks for the bump Sticky.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    So basically every single line I can find comes with aluminum fittings.

Even the stainless steel lines that Devil's Own sells for their meth kits come with aluminum fittings. Should there be a concern with corrosion?

I know type 3 hard anodized aluminum is supposed to be able to stand up to corrosion for a LONGG LONGG time, but there's really no way to confirm the type of aluminum used on the fittings.

Anybody switch over to brass fittings or just use JIC/SAE fittings instead? I was hoping to buy line with pre-installed fittings, but if that doesn't work out I'll end up just buying my own hose and hoping I can correctly install my own fittings.
    SS fuel lines are not really SS. They have an SS jacket on the outside, and in some cases another "weave" between layers of rubber or in the rubber. The inside of the fuel line is usually some type of rubber, or PTFE.

To run Meth, you want to run a fuel line that has PTFE inner....or is labled meth compatible by the manufacturer. Not the re-seller...the manufacturer.

Lots of fuel lines these days can have multiple layers....and have ZERO SS involved, and still be meth compatible.

Corrosion: It happens with Aluminum...no way around it. Think of all the fittings as being consumable items that will have to be replaced over time. Alternative, use SS fittings...which can be found for brake or high pressure applications. Very cheap solution: Use the push-on fittings provided for most meth kits that are coated and withstand exposure to meth. The only reason I can think of to run AN lines is either safety (High wear environment where the system is being removed and installed a lot like racing) or for looks. Most people are using AN for looks. (Hey...I'm one of them!)

JIC/SAE is very similar to AN...but the differences I don't think apply to every day use. AN is 40% stronger than JIC, and has a slightly different thread engagement. They can be used together...and many people mistakenly do, or are sold product from XXXX that are labled AN but are actually JIC, but it is best to stick with one type or the other.

If you want a 100% solution, I suggest contacting an XRP dealer and using their product. Unlike Earls, Russel, and a host of other fittings vendors, XRP has 100% QC of their product. I've bought probably $20k in fittings over the past 5 years...and I speak from experience. I use Russel on my current projects, because I like the way the fittings attach to hose ends. (They can be disassembled and re-used) But my preference is XRP.

XRP also has meth compatible AN line.

For what it's worth, I am vendor neutral...I don't have any brand loyalties except towards quality.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Great questions by the way.

I think you stumped a few people that are normally quite vocal on the topic.

Any other fittings questions, feel free to ask. I've played with everything from SS hard line to nylon. Here's a shot of something most people probably haven't seen used for Meth:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the detailed response!

The lines I am looking at are all PTFE inner with stainless coverings. I'm actually trying to source from the manufacturers directly so that I can customize things the exact way that I want.

A lot of vendors try to pass their anodized aluminum fittings as meth compatible, but I ended up digging a bit and finding the supplier of the majority of the anodized AN fittings and according to them the threaded areas will expose bare aluminum and this will cause the whole fitting to eventually corrode and leak, so as you said they are consumables.

I was looking into different lines due to the push connect fittings leaking mostly at the solenoid location and the fact that compression fittings are bit more difficult to remove when necessary.

JIC vs. AN would probably be a concern in aircraft or more intense applications, but for a methanol injection system I'm pretty sure JIC is more then fine. Is this a safe assumption to be making? I was thinking of going with JIC 37 degree steel fittings since they should be abrasion/corrosion resistant and installation/removal would be fairly quick.

I find that Earls and Russel overprice and mis-represent a lot of items so I crossed them off the list. The only thing I liked was that Russel offers a 2-4 inch hose with 4an fittings so this would be perfect to use after my solenoid since I want to keep the distance post solenoid to a minimum. The manufacturers that I contacted had a minimum length of 12 inches and I felt like that was a bit too much.

I noticed you're a fellow Canadian as well, who would you recommend as the best source for what I'm looking for? I would prefer to just get everything I need all in one shot from one source without the hassles of "we don't ship to Canada".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Thanks for the detailed response!

The lines I am looking at are all PTFE inner with stainless coverings. I'm actually trying to source from the manufacturers directly so that I can customize things the exact way that I want.

A lot of vendors try to pass their anodized aluminum fittings as meth compatible, but I ended up digging a bit and finding the supplier of the majority of the anodized AN fittings and according to them the threaded areas will expose bare aluminum and this will cause the whole fitting to eventually corrode and leak, so as you said they are consumables.

I was looking into different lines due to the push connect fittings leaking mostly at the solenoid location and the fact that compression fittings are bit more difficult to remove when necessary.

JIC vs. AN would probably be a concern in aircraft or more intense applications, but for a methanol injection system I'm pretty sure JIC is more then fine. Is this a safe assumption to be making? I was thinking of going with JIC 37 degree steel fittings since they should be abrasion/corrosion resistant and installation/removal would be fairly quick.

I find that Earls and Russel overprice and mis-represent a lot of items so I crossed them off the list. The only thing I liked was that Russel offers a 2-4 inch hose with 4an fittings so this would be perfect to use after my solenoid since I want to keep the distance post solenoid to a minimum. The manufacturers that I contacted had a minimum length of 12 inches and I felt like that was a bit too much.

I noticed you're a fellow Canadian as well, who would you recommend as the best source for what I'm looking for? I would prefer to just get everything I need all in one shot from one source without the hassles of "we don't ship to Canada".
    I pay nearly double what the US list price at my local speed shop....just part of living where I do. (I chose to live there) So I understand what you mean about the pricing.

As far as line lengths, I just buy 20ft bulk lengths and cut what I need, and assemble to fit. I've stopped using SS lines, as braided nylon and kevlar is so much easier to work with.

As far as where I would buy product from: Have you talked to anyone at Howerton Engineering?

I get excellent service from Jeff, and they have push-connect fittings that don't leak and are meth compatible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yeah, paying extra is just a part of being Canadian haha. It becomes a bit harder though when you spend a bit of time south of the border and start getting used to the cheap pricing and all the FREE SHIPPING offers ahah.

SS lines can be a pain to work with due to the bend radius and the fact that they litterally cut through anything they rub against, so I guess I should look into nylon and kevlar as well as an alternative.

I'll shoot Jeff another message. Maybe I should use a couple of his push-connect fittings so that I can remove the tank and pump from the trunk easily and for the connections located in the engine bay I'll go with compression fittings. Does this sound like a good plan, or should I just go with the push connect fittings for everything and call it a day?

Thanks for your help, I've been going crazy researching fittings and I feel a bit OCD spending full days looking and reading about fittings haha. Having someone knowledgeable to help out and provide feedback always helps give much more peace of mind :p

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, paying extra is just a part of being Canadian haha. It becomes a bit harder though when you spend a bit of time south of the border and start getting used to the cheap pricing and all the FREE SHIPPING offers ahah.

SS lines can be a pain to work with due to the bend radius and the fact that they litterally cut through anything they rub against, so I guess I should look into nylon and kevlar as well as an alternative.

I'll shoot Jeff another message. Maybe I should use a couple of his push-connect fittings so that I can remove the tank and pump from the trunk easily and for the connections located in the engine bay I'll go with compression fittings. Does this sound like a good plan, or should I just go with the push connect fittings for everything and call it a day?

Thanks for your help, I've been going crazy researching fittings and I feel a bit OCD spending full days looking and reading about fittings haha. Having someone knowledgeable to help out and provide feedback always helps give much more peace of mind :p
    The Aquamist fittings are built for this stuff....and there are a range of products if you don't want to use a push-connect fitting. There's also some compression type fittings for nylon line. I would discuss what you want to do with Jeff, and go from there. Just to clarify, don't focus on what you don't want....focus on exactly what you want to accomplish and see what he advises. You will end up in an endless circle without solutions if you list all of your concerns and what you've found on "the internet". Even as I write this, forums aren't my best source of info.