Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

One option is the JB4 G5 isolated boost control. It takes boost control away from the DME completely which means no fighting with the sometimes bogus DME control logic. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    One option is the JB4 G5 isolated boost control. It takes boost control away from the DME completely which means no fighting with the sometimes bogus DME control logic. Click here to enlarge
    what about on cold starts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Especially on cold starts!
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Just FYI, the fix for this issue had nothing to do with boost control..when the issue happens the car remains at the same load/boost throughout the jitter/sudden jerk area

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Especially on cold starts!
    Interesting! I have some reading to do.. Should have my G5 coming in any day now too veyyy nice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Just FYI, the fix for this issue had nothing to do with boost control..when the issue happens the car remains at the same load/boost throughout the jitter/sudden jerk area
    what in the throttle parameters causes this? i experience this on cold starts.. i would expect the factory settings in the dme to be fine... or am i missing something here...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Daily Three Click here to enlarge
    what in the throttle parameters causes this? i experience this on cold starts.. i would expect the factory settings in the dme to be fine... or am i missing something here...
    Well I think on cold starts I have experienced this here and there. but I believe what the OP is talking about is different. The factory settings are fine, and what I experience around 2k with APP 20-40% was some jerky/surging which, if I am not mistaking, is due to highly aggressive tuning/timing. Which on COBB OTS MAPs its not apparent. As for the JB4, it could be similar but not sure, if OP was able to graph I could compare it to mine and see if its similar.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I think jerkiness is more from the intake being full of carbon and crap than from the tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I think jerkiness is more from the intake being full of carbon and crap than from the tune.
    I only have 19k miles tuned since 18k. I doubt thats the issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    I only have 19k miles tuned since 18k. I doubt thats the issue
    Interesting. Can you upload a log of this happening and a WOT 3rd gear log? I'd be interest in seeing what it looks like. Also you are running the default JB4 G4 or G5 settings (they are different) or something else? Without logs this thread is going nowhere fast.

If you haven't got the cable through the glove box I highly recommend you do it. 99.9% of these type of issues can be figured out through the logs...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I have also switched from g4 to g5 iso and i have similar jerking briefly somewhere at lower rpm when i accelerate. I cannot reproduce the problem too often, but it may happen also if i start to accelerate during a shift. Seems not to happen if i am in DS mode, probably because when in DS it does not go below 2000 rpm often. Does not matter if laxfix is set to 0 or to 100.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

I probably should have bumped this thread. When I switched to my G5 ISO this problem went away completely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Well, mine does this only with the g5 iso that i just installed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Valentinp Click here to enlarge
    Well, mine does this only with the g5 iso that i just installed.
    Which firmware? Can you screen shot your settings? Do you have any vacuum leaks or oil at the base of the DVs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I uploaded 15b imediatelly after installing the new board.
    From a log:
    Firmware Interface
    12/11/12//2 12/14/2012

Other than that, LogFix = 100 and overboost safety to 19.5.
    So I got the latest that's relevant.
    It started to happen imediatelly after switching to G5 from my G4 15ohm.
    This evening I have been out for a few more WOTs thinking that I did not do enough for it to adapt. To my surprise I repeated the problem even during a WOT in 3rd gear which was rather scary.
    I did 2 pulls in 3rd, that I attached, one is with the problems somewhere mid rpm range(small jerk), and the second pull with the problem close to 6000 rpm which felt really nasty. specifically when I felt that relatively strong jerkiness for just an instant. for a fraction of a second when it happened, I lift my foot of the gas and then continued to accelerate for another instant until the road finished and I had to stop accelerating Click here to enlarge.
    I am using 100 RON gas(93 MON) and I logged map 5.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Your fuel trims are maxing out. You could raise open loop up to 90 or let it continue to learn up on its own. I'd also go down to say map 1 first as a test. Your map 5 boost is around 16psi which is fairly high for your octane and ambient conditions. Your ambient temperature is very low contributing to map 5 going a little stronger than I'd normally suggest. We may need to tweak the IAT component of it pending more similar logs from other cars.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

today it was around -5 outside.
    with the same fuel and at -15 outside, with map 5 on JB4 15 ohm I never had any issues. and I ran the same boost.
    Also, when I did some acceleration times comparison(from a roll), I got a little better with JB4 15 ohm when the ambient temps were about the same as today.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Edit: Terry is lightning fast and already replied to answer your question..

Looks like your Fuel Trims maxed out and getting timing Corrections due to lean conditions..
    Maybe get a Cobb AP and BMS Flash.. Or a Meth kit??
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

That crazy you went that lean and didn't misfire or throw a code. With 33 IAT those trims are seriously high. I am running 50% E85 mixes down to that temp without trim out. Hmm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Valentinp Click here to enlarge
    today it was around -5 outside.
    with the same fuel and at -15 outside, with map 5 on JB4 15 ohm I never had any issues. and I ran the same boost.
    Also, when I did some acceleration times comparison(from a roll), I got a little better with JB4 15 ohm when the ambient temps were about the same as today.
    The G5 ISO map 5 is programmed to be much more aggressive than the G4 map 5. Looking at this log I think boost should be around 14.5psi during the conditions/octane in the log. So my advice is to get the boost levels down. You could start by logging map 2.

If you don't want to follow my advice and just want to run more boost then to do that you need to get fuel trims below 50 so your air/fuel ratios stays close to the target of 12:1. To start set open loop manually higher. Perhaps even at 100%. Some cars can tolerate that without 29F2 codes and some can't. If raising open loop does not solve the problem you need to raise the air/fuel ratio target by manually lowering the AFR settings by RPM.

And if you really prefer the G4 board then I'm sure you will be able to find a buyer for the G5 board rather quickly. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 01-02-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have a meth kit already.
    Did a test today already, with additive set to 40. meth flow was only 50% it seems and I got the following errors for the first time also:

30FE Boost over target
    3100 low boost mode engaged -- CEL displayed
    After that I wasn't in the mood of doing any other logs and I went home to post logs for someone to analyze.

I did some pulls with G4 when the meth was flowing only 50% and never had any issues. of course, it needs priming, but anyway...
    Anyway, i had logs with the g4 with the fuel trims that looked maxed out, but I never experienced the awefull jerkiness, which, let's not forget, happens also at slight acceleration in low RPM.
    I did log one of these, by turning on logging and waiting for it to happen(while driving slowly). After it happened I pulled over and stopped logging. since the data is not like for a WOT is difficult to see anything in the JB4 interface, but maybe someone can understand something from the csv file itself. must be something on a slight acceleration at the end of the log.
    Also, I experienced the problem driving slowly outside the town and even in maps 1 and 4.
    I am not saying it is 100% related to the G5, but it surely is a pretty big coincidence since everything started to happen just when I did the switch from G4 to G5. I don't want to bad mouth the G5, I am merely trying to share my experience with it, maybe it helps Terry or someone else...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

I don't generally look at logs or troubleshoot on forums so if you wind up needing any addl help sorting the car out feel free to email me. Include a CSV log of the issue and a short list of mods on the car.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    I probably should have bumped this thread. When I switched to my G5 ISO this problem went away completely.
    same, my oscillating issue was still there with the G5 board, but went away when I went ISO. Now it's smooth as butter Click here to enlarge
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12