Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Cold start misfires fixed... Dat was easy

Around 25K miles i bought new oem plugs from tischer, installed and got a misfire right away.. sometimes it would misfire on coldstart, sometimes it wouldnt, but almost everytime it misfired. If it didnt the car ran rough during the coldstart and the exhaust popped. No CEL/SES etc. just when i read the codes myself the misfire codes were there.

So recently ive been keeping a eye on my coldstarts and misfire codes. Tried no E85, map 0, map 2 etc. to see if it would go away. IT DIDNT.

My coldtstart were horrible with misfires and exhaust popping.
    Otherwise the car ran good and logs looked good. No codes etc besides coldstart.

So yesterday morning i decided to go back to the old plugs the car came with (i had them labeled for each cylinder)
    threw them in and cold started like a dream, no misfires, no popping.

So i took her out for a run and i noticed got a lil more power and lil more boost aswell. wierd. But the car felt great.

2 more coldstarts to verify the old plugs are working better then the old and i can gladly say my old 25K miles plugs do not misfire on coldstart!!!
    No popping of the exhaust, no shaking and etc. new plugs have about a 500-1000 miles on them maybe. Misfires happened oon 1, 3,4 and sometimes 6.

Im guessing with new plugs, looks like def have to reset adaptions of the ECU or something. I tried disconnecting the battery aswell nothing helped.

Gonna run my plugs the car came with until they start dying on me for now. Until i feel like messing with resetting adaptions with the new plugs.
    Yes i Tq'd them to spec down and uninstalled and installed them twice to verify correct install. They arent damaged and all the new plugs looked good after running them. Has to be a ECU reset of some sort only thing i can think of.
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its possible one or more of the new plugs got dropped and their gap isn't within spec anymore...if the car's running strong on old ones i wouldn't touch it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you really want to know what happened you can start switching them out one by one till the misfires return....
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Its possible one or more of the new plugs got dropped and their gap isn't within spec anymore...if the car's running strong on old ones i wouldn't touch it
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    If you really want to know what happened you can start switching them out one by one till the misfires return....
    Yea im going to keep the old ones in for now for sure...
    I tryed to be as careful as possbile installing the plugs. No sign of damage to them, and nothing bent. The thing is, almost all the cylinders were misfiring. (1,3,4,6) And the way i install the new plugs, is the same way i just installed my old plugs, and there good.
    With the new plugs, After the coldstart, i wouldnt get any type of codes... warm starts, WOT, crusing etc. ONLY on cold starts. If they were bad set of plugs or damaged, wouldnt it case misfire or issues somewhere besides only coldstarts.

Just a little stumped the new plugs were giving me issues.. I tryed, switching coils, disconecting the battery, different maps, different gas, stock map, removing and re-installing, re-tq'ing.. Nothing worked or helped. So im led to believe if i ever do install new plugs down the road, my next try is going to be resetting the ECU adaptions.
    Last edited by 5soko; 08-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    are they the proper plugs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This has happened alot on this engine and is largely documented on the other forum. No one really knows why yet but it's been a proven cause of cold start misfires over and over. It would be interesting to know what the exact cause was. My buddy had one show up with a bent electrode but those are pretty obvious. Most are not.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    I tryed to be as careful as possbile installing the plugs. No sign of damage to them, and nothing bent. The thing is, almost all the cylinders were misfiring. (1,3,4,6) And the way i install the new plugs, is the same way i just installed my old plugs, and there good.
    Are they the same spec? Colder? OEM so should be the exact same thing right?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    are they the proper plugs?
    Yup, OEM from tischer..

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    This has happened alot on this engine and is largely documented on the other forum. No one really knows why yet but it's been a proven cause of cold start misfires over and over. It would be interesting to know what the exact cause was. My buddy had one show up with a bent electrode but those are pretty obvious. Most are not.
    Wierd, all the plugs looked fine, i didnt measure the gap from the old ones and compared to the new ones though.. I have been reading alot that many are doing a ECU reset, or resetting the ECU adaptions via BT cable (which is many parameters) No1 knows for sure which specific parameters to reset for a spark plug change.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Are they the same spec? Colder? OEM so should be the exact same thing right?
    Yup, same model number and OEM from BMW ticscher.
    Next time i throw them in, im going to try to reset all the ECU engine adaptions.. And see if that fixes it. Cant see any other solution to this hardware wise has to be software type issue going on that needs resetting.

Did another coldstart tonite after the car was sitting all day, and it started up great! and no codes.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup, same model number and OEM from BMW ticscher.
    Next time i throw them in, im going to try to reset all the ECU engine adaptions.. And see if that fixes it.
    Let us know if that fixes it as I think we would all like to know why one set of the exact same plugs was causing misfires.

It makes no sense though you haven't had to reset when going back to the original right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What are you planning to use to reset adaptations? INPA?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Let us know if that fixes it as I think we would all like to know why one set of the exact same plugs was causing misfires.

It makes no sense though you haven't had to reset when going back to the original right?
    Yea doing my research last night, seems like alot of people seem to develop unstable coldstarts, idle and rough idle after installing brand new plugs.

Nope didnt have to do nothing when putting the old plugs back in, car instantly ran better, and coldstarts are perfect.
    Same Part numbers, brand etc.

Only leads me to believe there is something more that needs to be done with installing new plugs. Because just installig them is def. not working.
    I even try to let the brand new plugs i installed ADAPT, for a few hundred miles. Still coldstart issues and misfires at coldstart.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    What are you planning to use to reset adaptations? INPA?
    I was planning on using the BT cable... Seems to have all the reset adaptions for the engine as INPA?
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive gotten OEM plugs before, that were not OEM plugs, fwiw. your probably right, just had to ask as i was sent single electrode "oem" stuff before, but labeled properly

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea doing my research last night, seems like alot of people seem to develop unstable coldstarts, idle and rough idle after installing brand new plugs.

Nope didnt have to do nothing when putting the old plugs back in, car instantly ran better, and coldstarts are perfect.
    Same Part numbers, brand etc.
    How would the car know if new or old plugs are in if they are the same spec? Just doesn't make sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sounds to me like a injector starting to go. Stumbles on cold start?

There should be no adaptation reset needed for changing plugs...Ive never EVER had a car develop misfires from switching to new plugs.

Valve cleaning done? Coil possibly giving up? One weak coil can cause misfires on other cylinders, same thing goes for a weak injector.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Ive gotten OEM plugs before, that were not OEM plugs, fwiw. your probably right, just had to ask as i was sent single electrode "oem" stuff before, but labeled properly
    Interesting.
    I took a look at them, BMW box and BMW labeled plugs, and visually look exactly the same.. Tischer only sells OEM stuff too.

How would the car know if new or old plugs are in if they are the same spec? Just doesn't make sense.
    Yea dont ask me.. Trying to figure it out. Started her up again today, and no misfires, no rough idle and drove great.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    sounds to me like a injector starting to go. Stumbles on cold start?

There should be no adaptation reset needed for changing plugs...Ive never EVER had a car develop misfires from switching to new plugs.

Valve cleaning done? Coil possibly giving up? One weak coil can cause misfires on other cylinders, same thing goes for a weak injector.
    Car has 26K miles, never ever had a problem with her, but as a precaution i changed plugs at 25K as i am FBO, and i said for 100 bucks why not. Once i put the new plugs in, that when the coldstart issues started.. Try to leave the new plugs in to adapt, but after a few hundrend miles, cold misfire stood around, and rough coldstart remained. Now after putting the old plugs back in for the past few days, all my coldstarts have been great, and no misfire codes.

I aswell have never heard of going to new plugs and developing misfire, but its happening for some reason to me.
    the first time i started her up with new plugs i got a misfire on cylinder 3.. I took and switch coil 3 with 2.. But the problem didnt follow. Cylinder 2 never misfired. So i ruled out coils..

With the new plugs, it stumbles a little/ its rough and the exahust pops. With the old plugs, its perfect
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cold start misfires are almost always related to an injector. Wouldn't be surprised if something took a $#@! while you changed the plugs....it's happened before.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cold start misfires are almost always related to an injector. Wouldn't be surprised if something took a $#@! while you changed the plugs....it's happened before.
    Thats exactly what i thought injectors. With all the misfires codes i was going to bring it in, but i thought lemme change back to the old plugs and see whats up.
    If injectors were bad wouldnt it still misfire on coldstart regardless of plugs? Another coldstart this morning and car is not throwing any codes and starting good.

Maybe the new plugs are powerful and pick up misfire more easily? Then these old ones?
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats exactly what i thought injectors. With all the misfires codes i was going to bring it in, but i thought lemme change back to the old plugs and see whats up.
    If injectors were bad wouldnt it still misfire on coldstart regardless of plugs? Another coldstart this morning and car is not throwing any codes and starting good.

Maybe the new plugs are powerful and pick up misfire more easily? Then these old ones?

They might have been more sensitive to stumbles in the morning, whereas with worn plugs, maybe they didnt fire off so quickly..that extra 1 crank maybe cleans out the cylinders just enough so that the next time it fired, the fuel that dripped out overnight was already pushed into the exhaust. Now that it fires easily with the new plugs, maybe its stumbling a bit as it coughs up the fuel?

Its still very weird that its inducing issues rather that curing them. As far as the popping goes in the exhaust, is it just like the light pop/burble at idle? Ive heard so many N54s do that I consider it normal. I have seen that remedied by plugs, valve cleaning, injectors, or any combo of the 3. Most cars run perfectly fine like that for most of their lives..I would probably contribute it to carbon buildup on the pistons.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They might have been more sensitive to stumbles in the morning, whereas with worn plugs, maybe they didnt fire off so quickly..that extra 1 crank maybe cleans out the cylinders just enough so that the next time it fired, the fuel that dripped out overnight was already pushed into the exhaust. Now that it fires easily with the new plugs, maybe its stumbling a bit as it coughs up the fuel?

Its still very weird that its inducing issues rather that curing them. As far as the popping goes in the exhaust, is it just like the light pop/burble at idle? Ive heard so many N54s do that I consider it normal. I have seen that remedied by plugs, valve cleaning, injectors, or any combo of the 3. Most cars run perfectly fine like that for most of their lives..I would probably contribute it to carbon buildup on the pistons.
    thats what i was thinking. The new plugs are more sensitive and misfire more easily if the injectors are failing and leaving gas in the chambers. But the old plugs are firing even better on coldstarts in the morning.
    With the new plugs, the car when i fire her up is rough for the first burst. And only jumps to abolut 1K rpms. With the old plugs, the first fire up is strong and RPMS jump ti 1,400rpm.
    Here is a video of todays start up. no codes since i changed to the old plugs.

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a85...t=IMG_3995.mp4

The popping isnt a big deal, just something i noticed my old plugs dont do, and the new plugs did. It was during coldstarts when the rpms were settling. Might have been the result of the misfire, the exhaust was popping.
    ///M5 LCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if its popping on new, its definitly an injector, the new plugs are just better at igniting it vs the old ones..