Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

VRSF DPs and 7" FMIC

First off, I don't mean to step on any toes here so @Sticky, let me know if there are any issues here.

I just took delivery of the subject parts and figured I would share some pictures and measurements. I also figured that I would take any requests for pictures/measurements/data. I will have the parts off for a few weeks so I can take requests for a little while. I won't be able to do any pressure drop tests I don't think but I do plan on taking IAT reduction data, any other data feel free to request.

The boxes were shipped via FedEx and it appears as if they treated them well. For those that don't know, VRSF offers free shipping. Boxes got here in a day but that's due to my close proximity to VRSF. I opened them up and was greeted with this:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I was pretty disapointed in the amount of packing material. I didnt remove any material from either box, just shifted some in the FMIC box. DPs came with packing peanuts and some cheap bubble wrap. FMIC came with some weird pieces of foam. Seems like they should have packed more. I would have gladly paid for some nice foam to ensure nothing bounced around. However, there didn't seem to be any damage due to the lack of packing materials. Another disappointing finding was that the FMIC inlet/outlet covers had fallen off. These are there for a reason and should either have a tighter fit or should be taped on to prevent them from falling off and allowing FOD to enter the FMIC.

Overall, the DPs look good. I am no weld expert but I would say the welds look suitable. Only real complaint is that a couple of the sections do not appear to line up perfectly. As of now, I cant look inside the DPs at these sections but I doubt they look any better than the outside so there is probably a little step or bump in these areas.

Pictures of the DPs and hardware:
    Click here to enlarge

Closeup of the Hardware:
    Click here to enlarge

Pictures of the non-aligning sections:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Other interesting pictures:
    Little dents to form the pipe to the flange
    Click here to enlarge
    Forming of the Pipe
    Click here to enlarge
    Picture down the Inlet and Flange Closeup
    Click here to enlarge
    Blending in the DPs
    Click here to enlarge

Measurements of the DP inlets and Outlets:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I also weighed the DPs, they weighed in at 9.6Lbs.

FMIC also looks good. I would say that some of the welds could be better but they will serve their purpose. There were a few bent fins but nothing I wouldn't expect after being shipped half way across the world.

Bent Fins:
    Back of the FMIC
    Click here to enlarge
    Front of the FMIC
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Top of the FMIC:
    Click here to enlarge
    Weld Closer Up
    Click here to enlarge

Bottom of the FMIC:
    Click here to enlarge
    Mounting Tab Closeup
    Click here to enlarge

Picture down the Inlet/outlet:
    Click here to enlarge

Welds Along Inlet/Outlet:
    Click here to enlarge

FMIC Measurements:
    Width
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Depth
    Click here to enlarge
    Height
    Click here to enlarge
    Inlet
    Click here to enlarge
    Outlet
    Click here to enlarge

Provided Couplers:
    Click here to enlarge

All of the Provided Mounting Hardware:
    Click here to enlarge
    Clamp Closeup
    Click here to enlarge

FMIC Weight Right on the Scale:
    Click here to enlarge

Like I said, request away.

Also, I don't need people $#@!ting on my FMIC or DP choice so please keep this as a constructive thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where do the brackets fasten to?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Where do the brackets fasten to?
    Not 100% sure yet but a review on the other forum says the tabs and brackets utilize the stock sway bar bolts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think those dents in the DP's are for fitment reasons

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    I think those dents in the DP's are for fitment reasons
    Could be, I just wanted to point them out. I will know more when I actually install them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Intresting, thanks. Im trying to talk my friend with a 535 into going 7" over 5".. not sure if it will fit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Intresting, thanks. Im trying to talk my friend with a 535 into going 7" over 5".. not sure if it will fit.
    Tiago said on the other site that he didn't think theirs would fit on a 535. Speaking more about the 7" not sure on the 5".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Those finpacks look NOTTTTHING like what Tiago posted over on the other site. These are the finpacks used on the universal ebay kits for 200hp cars, they are taller and much more spread out as you can notice by counting the number of fins per inch. The density will be much less than most cores... it also only has 8 charge rows. I guess the fact that it has the 7" depth will makeup a bit for the weak looking core, but I definitely wouldn't buy the 5" version if it has the same core... it would need way more frontal surface area with a core like that. Just my opinion... I just don't like the fact that I've seen Tiago mis-represent his products a couple times now and all the bangwagoners seem to jump on board and think he's a BMW cheap parts saviour.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    Those finpacks look NOTTTTHING like what Tiago posted over on the other site. These are the finpacks used on the universal ebay kits for 200hp cars, they are taller and much more spread out as you can notice by counting the number of fins per inch. The density will be much less than most cores... it also only has 8 charge rows. I guess the fact that it has the 7" depth will makeup a bit for the weak looking core, but I definitely wouldn't buy the 5" version if it has the same core... it would need way more frontal surface area with a core like that. Just my opinion... I just don't like the fact that I've seen Tiago mis-represent his products a couple times now and all the bangwagoners seem to jump on board and think he's a BMW cheap parts saviour.
    FWIW, I think the pics Tiago posted were supposed to be of inside the core. I tried to get a couple pics of the inside of mine when it came in the other day but they all came out super blurry. However, from what I could see they did look like the ones he posted. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I bought the AMS and my opinion it looks much better than this one, and for under 700 usd new it was a bargain.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FWIW,

AMS has 8 charge rows in 6 inches.
    Helix has 13 charge rows in 8 (?) inches.
    AA has 12 charge rows in 11.7 inches.
    Stett has 13 charge rows in X inches.
    ER has 7 charge rows in 6 inches.
    ETS has 8 charge rows in 5.5 inches?
    HPF has 7 charge rows in 5.75 inches.

Anyone can feel free to correct me where I may be wrong. Tried to collect data from the other forum and pictures.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BIG TOM (KL Racing) FMIC FTMFW! Click here to enlarge

16 charge rows, 4" deep, 3" inlet and outlet

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    FWIW,

AMS has 8 charge rows in 6 inches.
    Helix has 13 charge rows in 8 (?) inches.
    AA has 12 charge rows in 11.7 inches.
    Stett has 13 charge rows in X inches.
    ER has 7 charge rows in 6 inches.
    ETS has 8 charge rows in 5.5 inches?
    HPF has 7 charge rows in 5.75 inches.

Anyone can feel free to correct me where I may be wrong. Tried to collect data from the other forum and pictures.
    ETS has 10 charge rows...
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    ETS has 10 charge rows...
    I am struggling to see 10....

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am struggling to see 10....
    Yeah, that's V1. They brought out V2 some time ago that upgraded to 10 rows.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, that's V1. They brought out V2 some time ago that upgraded to 10 rows.
    Ah, know the dimensions? I grabbed that directly off their website and they only list 1 FMIC for the 135/335.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah, know the dimensions? I grabbed that directly off their website and they only list 1 FMIC for the 135/335.
    I think the overall dimensions remained the same 20x5.5x5. I'm not 100% sure though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Believe me when I say I know my intercoolers haha. I even know the EXACCCT shop half these intercoolers come from including AA, VRSF etc... anybody who has a registered business in the US you can find out where alllllllllllllll their shipments come from along with the companies info.

It's a pretty fun thing to do while your bored and feel like being a computer nerd. Then all you do is email those companies and they will pretend like they don't know what you're talking about so you add them to skype and sucker them in for a week or two and they let it all out Click here to enlarge

ETS had 9 charge rows I thought, but nitehawk says 10 and he probably knows better than me so yeah that's more charge rows that are all exposed to the bumper opening. The helix also has more charge rows per inch and more fins per inch across.

Honestly depth isn't worth crap to me, it's all about frontal surface area. I dropped by a friends shop who has multiple 600-1000 hp supras and skylines and they use max frontal surface area on their intercoolers and don't care for depth.

On my personal intercooler I had made it has 16 or 18 frontal charge rows and it uses a LESS dense finpack to minimize pressure drops, but it's still providing the same/better cooling as other units I had on my car.

PS: Thanks for the neg rep for trying to provide info and not being a part of the herd of sheep like most e9X owners Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who the heck negged you for that post? Pos repped and I totally agree with the post above especially about the frontal surface area vs. depth. There's a great thread on here somewhere actually discussing intercooler design with one of our resident experts (@DBFIU ) on the topic...lots of good info in there

Frontal instead of depth ftw for sure...if running meth then least pressure drop as well is preferred...FMICs that do a great job in IAT suppression have to keep the air in the core longer and they're naturally more restrictive and create more pressure drop given the same dimensions and charge rows
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 08-29-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Dr. G well said. +ve repped. Yeah, I confirmed prior to installing my ETS has 10 rows.
    What do your WGDC's look like on your custom FMIC? I'm curious to know considering its size...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Dr. G well said. +ve repped. Yeah, I confirmed prior to installing my ETS has 10 rows.
    What do your WGDC's look like on your custom FMIC? I'm curious to know considering its size...
    From what I've seen in your logs your ETS is doing really well on your car to be honest
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im running the CX racing intercooler thats close to the specs of the KL racing unit, couldnt be happier. Like others have said, frontal surface area ftw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    PS: Thanks for the neg rep for trying to provide info and not being a part of the herd of sheep like most e9X owners Click here to enlarge
    Wasn't me. I just posted info on other ICs to show that its in the middle of the pack for charge rows per inch, based on the data I gathered. In the end, I will post all of the logs I can get so we can all see overall results.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    There's a great thread on here somewhere actually discussing intercooler design with one of our resident experts (@DBFIU ) on the topic...lots of good info in there
    I'd be curious as to what @DBFIU's comments would be regarding this FMIC. Everyone seems to say it has "AMS like" end tanks and I know he said AMS had very good tank design. Maybe he can chime in with his thoughts.

BTW, the point of this thread was not to start an intercooler war. Hopefully it doesn't degrade too much further.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WGDC's are hard to compare as there are just soo many different variables to take into consideration. Comparing car A vs. car B makes is pretty difficult. Having said that I haven't noticed any significant changes in WGDC versus other intercoolers that have been on my car, but I have not pushed the car past 16psi yet with this I/C on because I'm currently not running meth so I'm not sure what the performance will be like when pushing things to the extreme.

Honestly if you have the ETS and it's working well for you I wouldn't even bother changing it. If there's any benefit to changing I/C's it won't be huge and if there's a decrease in performance you're gonna kick yourself in the ass haha.

Wasn't me. I just posted info on other ICs to show that its in the middle of the pack for charge rows per inch, based on the data I gathered. In the end, I will post all of the logs I can get so we can all see overall results.
    Yup, not saying it's a bad unit at all. It will probably do what it's supposed to.

I'd be curious as to what @DBFIU 's comments would be regarding this FMIC. Everyone seems to say it has "AMS like" end tanks and I know he said AMS had very good tank design. Maybe he can chime in with his thoughts.

BTW, the point of this thread was not to start an intercooler war. Hopefully it doesn't degrade too much further.
    My apologies for derailing. The end tanks do look well designed, but you have to take into account the fact that when you change length (7" depth vs. 5") you change resistance so you would have to know the angles inside the endtanks to know if they promote laminar flow. Either way though like I said before I think it will be a pretty good intercooler and with it's price tag it will do well in the market.

PS: Thanks for the positive reps guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast