Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E85 50/50 DYNO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Would u like to see 18.5 psi to 16.5-17 at redline, 16.5psi at 6500 from a stock turbo car running meth Click here to enlarge
    Fixed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Next time I have a car here to do this, i'll run a test on this and report back.
    Awesome man, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Fixed.
    There bren will provide that Click here to enlarge its the same RBs or not except on stockers ur hitting 54psi on the exhaust side in backpressure and i won't do that on a customer car no way...i can do an etune on ur car with that boost though if you wish any time just let me know
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LULZ - in all honesty it IS hot here. So that type of test and normalizing temps in between runs may be hard to get exact data. But I haven't yet found it to be particularly helpful IMHO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    There bren will provide that Click here to enlarge its the same RBs or not except on stockers ur hitting 54psi on the exhaust side in backpressure and i won't do that on a customer car no way...i can do an etune on ur car with that boost though if you wish any time just let me know
    I know this gets into sensitive territory, but in your opinion, how are piggy back tunes able to run these psi levels so successfully on stock turbo cars?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll find out soon enough when someone brings me one. But I think with enough time and patience one could dial in all the settings correctly.
    Most sets don't seem to require too much adjustment. Mine on the other hand are proving to be a huge pain.

One things for sure, RBs love boosting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Most sets don't seem to require too much adjustment. Mine on the other hand are proving to be a huge pain.

One things for sure, RBs love boosting.
    Saw your car for sale - love it. Almost pressed BUYITNOW Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know this gets into sensitive territory, but in your opinion, how are piggy back tunes able to run these psi levels so successfully on stock turbo cars?
    As I said I'll do it for you and anyone else that comes in for a tune or an eTune but at your discretion...there's no power to be gained at 13psi vs. 17psi at redline...i've run it before and have done so on the procede too MANY times...there was no power to be made at even 20psi down low that some ppl run with the piggies...just because they're running that boost don't take it as MORE power or RELIABLE...its neither of those especially past 6k rpm...in midrange bumping boost up 1psi more may net you a bit of gains depending on octane (such as E85 or meth) but boost wise Cobb's done a great job on OTS for stock turbos period...and they won't melt Click here to enlarge

Just picture what even 17.5psi at 6k rpm of intake pressure with a 3.5x differential on the exhaust side is doing Click here to enlarge let alone more than that...crazy stuff and with heat combined into it of over 1700F its not looking pretty for those turbos there at all, even FBO and with meth
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 08-24-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Saw your car for sale - love it. Almost pressed BUYITNOW Click here to enlarge
    Its not for sale anymore Click here to enlarge the general aka my wife said I can keep it heh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He will be there, know of any E85 stations near by? I'll be working on the dyno.
    Depending on where you're coming from there can be a bunch or none. If you're joining LM's early morning caravan, I'd recommend getting up early & going to the Shell Station in Philly (1135 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA) where I'm gonna get gas before I jump over the Ben Franklin Bridge into NJ.

If you're not joining us & already know the route you're taking, here's the website I use to find E85 stations (http://alternative-fuel.findthedata.org/). I find it easier to go to mainstream gas stations (Shell, Sunoco, Exxon) that have E85 so I can get a full tank blend with gas from a name brand gas company.

**Just checked, no E85 stations in Aberdeen. Didn't bother to check off Google Maps if there are any along the routes people might be taking Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm gonna chime in here and say I dno about dyno glory runs or single fast 1/4 mile runs, but on the street I've LOST time due to higher boost levels before.

There is a point of diminishing returns and you probably reach a point where you are generating more heat and backpressure that it actually starts to become detrimental. Couple weeks ago on my buddies 135i anything past 18 psi and we would get slower times on the vbox and the top end felt weaker, turned the boost down a tiny bit and we picked up the lost time on the vbox again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    I'm gonna chime in here and say I dno about dyno glory runs or single fast 1/4 mile runs, but on the street I've LOST time due to higher boost levels before.

There is a point of diminishing returns and you probably reach a point where you are generating more heat and backpressure that it actually starts to become detrimental. Couple weeks ago on my buddies 135i anything past 18 psi and we would get slower times on the vbox and the top end felt weaker, turned the boost down a tiny bit and we picked up the lost time on the vbox again.
    Yep! Click here to enlarge Corrections will start to happen due to high heat and back pressure and instead of making more power you'll end up losing power due to lower overall timing...on small turbos timing up top means more than boost given proper octane, generally speaking
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @BrenM3 , were all the baseline runs done on the same dyno? The OTS and stock baseline numbers you have mentioned are nearly identical to mine. I'm anxious to see what our deltas will be like running the same mix of E85.

Also +1 about running too much boost. Road tuning with Dzenno last night, I couldn't tell the difference when we played around with additional boost up top.
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    @BrenM3 , were all the baseline runs done on the same dyno? The OTS and stock baseline numbers you have mentioned are nearly identical to mine. I'm anxious to see what our deltas will be like running the same mix of E85.

Also +1 about running too much boost. Road tuning with Dzenno last night, I couldn't tell the difference when we played around with additional boost up top.
    I could......it felt less brutal...... a case of where more was actually less.

I gotta say that was quite a transformation going from the regular pump gas map to the E85 map

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep! Click here to enlarge Corrections will start to happen due to high heat and back pressure and instead of making more power you'll end up losing power due to lower overall timing...on small turbos timing up top means more than boost given proper octane, generally speaking
    Even with meth and E85?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Even with meth and E85?
    Yep
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good info on here..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It should not be news that one can run boost too much or too little.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DCAFS Click here to enlarge
    I could......it felt less brutal...... a case of where more was actually less.

I gotta say that was quite a transformation going from the regular pump gas map to the E85 map
    On 93 pump, I ran 426whp/470wtq and I was looking into meth kits and decided to try E85 1st. With the results BrenM3 achieved on the DYNO, I see no need for a meth kit. I need to do a intake valve cleaning and clean my intakes! LOL!
    Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UsualSuspect Click here to enlarge
    On 93 pump, I ran 426whp/470wtq and I was looking into meth kits and decided to try E85 1st. With the results BrenM3 achieved on the DYNO, I see no need for a meth kit. I need to do a intake valve cleaning and clean my intakes! LOL!
    426whp with just FBO, no meth on 93 octane? ...that must be one hell of an optimistic dyno.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    426whp with just FBO, no meth on 93 octane? ...that must be one hell of an optimistic dyno.
    A real number is about 370-380 whp on pump.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge

Yes I baselined this car once in 2009, to 295whp FBO, and recently to the same setting. This is the only dyno UsualSuspect's car has been on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you not see the baselines and Cobb OTS numbers? It is not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As I said I'll do it for you and anyone else that comes in for a tune or an eTune but at your discretion...there's no power to be gained at 13psi vs. 17psi at redline...i've run it before and have done so on the procede too MANY times...there was no power to be made at even 20psi down low that some ppl run with the piggies...just because they're running that boost don't take it as MORE power or RELIABLE...its neither of those especially past 6k rpm...in midrange bumping boost up 1psi more may net you a bit of gains depending on octane (such as E85 or meth) but boost wise Cobb's done a great job on OTS for stock turbos period...and they won't melt Click here to enlarge

Just picture what even 17.5psi at 6k rpm of intake pressure with a 3.5x differential on the exhaust side is doing Click here to enlarge let alone more than that...crazy stuff and with heat combined into it of over 1700F its not looking pretty for those turbos there at all, even FBO and with meth
    This is why we need to have some EGT data on E85 mixes. I think there may be more cooling than we think at +50% mixtures.

T

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

This is why we need to have some EGT data on E85 mixes. I think there may be more cooling than we think at +50% mixtures. Why are there no EGT sensors stock? The S54 had them.

T

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast