Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Just spoke to them out of curiosity. They basically said the requests have been too sporadic to offer it. They need a minimum request of 24 drums (55 gallon each) to make it worth their while. Otherwise, going across the border (Buffalo/Niagara) is the only realistic choice we have.
    I've been bugging Chuck at Pro-Racing Fuels about stocking E85 for a couple of months now..... basically whenever I top up with meth which is about every two weeks.

He basically thinks we are nuts and will rot out our fuel systems.

Yep.....they are old school for sure and not up with the latest developments.

Sigh - your car on meth was so strong I am still depressed about it bro!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yikes.
    Expensive but better than driving 30min up to Ventura to get it. Since there are no race gas stations anywhere in Simi Valley anymore having E98 on tap made a lot of sense.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would E98 really be that much better than E85??? Feels a little foolish asking (obviously E98 has a higher octane rating than E85), but what would be the gains of E98 over E85?

AS of right now I'm strongly considering a big drum w/ a pump for E85 next summer, save me from making unnecessary 40 min round trips every weekend just for some E85
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @benzy89, E98 is just more ethanol content and you'd basically mix it again to reach the same mix as you had so far...in the end no difference..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @dzenno, I contacted these guys about 4-5 weeks ago. They can't ship to Canada Click here to enlarge

You should go pickup across the border and then store at Ivo's... I'd come buy to buy some haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ya sounds like that's the only option left to us for E85. If I go pick it up at Niagara I'm not selling it other than for kidneys Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Ya sounds like that's the only option left to us for E85. If I go pick it up at Niagara I'm not selling it other than for kidneys Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got a response from the maperformance.com:
    ====
    Residential Delivery W/ Liftgate: $233.08. If delivery address is a business or no liftgate is needed upon delivery, shipping will be lower====

This makes the whole thing about 450 dropped off to Niagara Falls for pickup. Definitely not worth it. Much better to just pour it into some a bunch of 5gal containers and drive with the fuel back in the trunk Click here to enlarge Easier to remove from the trunk once I'm back too, problem will be explaining it to the border officials lol "what's that in your trunk? oh sir, its just fuel for my racecar?" lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol don't see a problem as long as you're being upfront.
    Just a receipt should be okay since you're not bringing in a ridiculous amount. Worse case they take it, but they cant take what I put in my tank Click here to enlarge
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    is it illegal to bring fuel over? i would assume just a hazmat issue if over a certain gal/ weight...?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    is it illegal to bring fuel over? i would assume just a hazmat issue if over a certain gal/ weight...?
    Nope, not illegal. Just quantity limitations. Chuck@Pro-Racing Fuels told me anything up to two drums is okay without extra paperwork.
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    where are you guys located?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't see why you can't just run methanol and be happy. Canadians have 94 octane pump gas!

im just blessed to have an E85 pump a mile from my job.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    I don't see why you can't just run methanol and be happy. Canadians have 94 octane pump gas!

im just blessed to have an E85 pump a mile from my job.
    Because E85 direct injected into the chamber is VERY different from port injected meth that gets splattered all over the intake piping Click here to enlarge Here's an article on direct injected ethanol (methanol too) that may surprise many of you...effective octane of E85 once direct injected raises to 160 points for ethanol and 180 octane points for methanol Click here to enlarge No wonder E85 works so well on this car and changes are pretty dramatic from pump gas

http://web.mit.edu/mitei/lfee/progra...2008-01-rp.pdf

Think I'll just try some methanol in the tank with a 30% mix for fun Click here to enlarge

Excerpt from the intro:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by document from above link
    Ethanol is receiving great interest as an alternative fuel. Methanol is another alcohol fuel
    that could serve as a replacement for gasoline. Although it is currently receiving much
    less attention, it has the potential to play an important role. Like ethanol, methanol also
    has the advantage of being a liquid fuel and it can be produced from gasification of a
    variety of feedstocks using well established thermal chemical technology. These
    feedstocks include coal, natural gas, biomass and various types of waste. This paper
    discusses the high effective octane number and efficiency advantages of methanol and
    ethanol when used in direct injection engines. Octane number represents the resistance of
    a spark ignition engine to knock (unwanted detonation which can damage the engine).
    The high intrinsic octane numbers of ethanol and methanol are well known. However, a
    much greater effective octane number can be effectively realized through the knock
    resistance provided by the high level of vaporization cooling that occurs when methanol
    or ethanol is directly injected into the engine cylinders. A computational model is used in
    this paper to determine the knock resistance and effective octane number of these alcohol
    fuels when they are directly injected. The model indicates that the effective octane
    numbers are around 160 for ethanol and 180 for methanol. The high compression ratio,
    high degree of turbocharging and aggressive engine downsizing enabled by the high
    effective octane number of methanol could provide an efficiency gain of 30 –35% (for
    combined city-highway driving) relative to conventional port fueled gasoline engines. An
    additional gain of around 10% can be obtained by using reforming of methanol to enable
    ultra lean operation at low loads. The combination of these gains could thus potentially
    provide an efficiency gain of 40–45% for direct injection methanol engines. This
    efficiency gain is significantly greater than the typical 25–30% gain of turbocharged
    diesel engines.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    dzenno - very good info..!! I'm also curious on the results of the 30/70% methanol/93 for the 335i... Although methanol is more corrosive, one would think with the 70% gasoline you would have enough lubrication for the seals etc..
    Last edited by boosted-M; 08-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah but you need twice the volume of methanol vs the 30% required for E85. That would be one hell of a test of our fuel systems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah but you need twice the volume of methanol vs the 30% required for E85. That would be one hell of a test of our fuel systems.
    Are you sure about that? I don't think that's right by looking at the specific gravity of ethanol vs methanol at 25C (77F):

Alcohol, ethyl (ethanol) 77oF 0.787
    Alcohol, methyl (methanol) 77oF 0.791
    Gasoline, Vehicle 60oF 0.739
    In other words VERY close to each other for methanol and ethanol but you're right a bit more volume would be required for methanol.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure about that? I don't think that's right by looking at the specific gravity of ethanol vs methanol at 25C (77F):

Alcohol, ethyl (ethanol) 77oF 0.787
    Alcohol, methyl (methanol) 77oF 0.791
    Gasoline, Vehicle 60oF 0.739
    In other words VERY close to each other for methanol and ethanol but you're right a bit more volume would be required for methanol.
    This is a great read

http://www.e85forum.com/about621.html

"Ethanol has 27% less energy per Gallon than Gas.
    Methanol has 55% less energy per Gallon than Gas.

This is why more volume is required for each of the Alcohol fuels and why Methanol take almost twice as much fuel as Ethanol"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a great read

http://www.e85forum.com/about621.html

"Ethanol has 27% less energy per Gallon than Gas.
    Methanol has 55% less energy per Gallon than Gas.

This is why more volume is required for each of the Alcohol fuels and why Methanol take almost twice as much fuel as Ethanol"
    I see. Good article, thanks.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Dzenno.....what about C85 instead?

Maybe ProRacing stocks this stuff.

See here: http://www.vpracingfuels.com/blogs/v...istent-tuning-

They seem to have a dealer in Richmond Hill too!

VP Ontario

Richmond Hill, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Phone: 905-478-3835
    vpontario@aol.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I talked to Randy (dealer there) and that is definitely a possibility but the cost is prohibitive to run it regular basis. Its close to 600 for a 55gal barrel.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    C85 = Ripoff

The best part of E85 is the ridiculously low cost (lower than Regular/87 Octane Pump Gas in some places). Depending on how much C85 you buy, it ranges between $9-11 per Gallon. At those prices, you're better off saving yourself the hassle & getting 100 Octane Sunoco (which in NJ was $8.50 per gallon).
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just run 94 octane + Meth spiked with nitro-methane. Its all gravy in small %'s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just run 94 octane + Meth spiked with nitro-methane. Its all gravy in small %'s.
    ive considered the nitro part recently Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234