Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up PTF Cobb ProTuned; FBO Pump S2+ [w/ Dyno & Logs]

Hi guys,

I recently had my car custom tuned by ProTuningFreaks (PTF) and I thought I would share my experience/results. My car is FBO and I have been running Cobbís latest and greatest aggressive off-the- shelf (OTS) map: S2+FMIC v402. I was curious to know if there was any room for power improvement over these OTS maps running our Petro Canada 94 octane gas. So, I got in touch with @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks to see what could be done. Iím local to him, so we started off with road tuning. The OTS data logs showed my car is running strong with minimal timing corrections:

Click here to enlarge

As you can see, the OTS timing is very conservative ranging from 3 up to ~9 degrees @ 6100 RPM (my usual shift point). Dzenno was able to up my timing in the midrange along with some other tweaks to ensure optimum performance consistently and reliably:

Click here to enlarge

Two weeks after the road tune, we went to Champion Motors to see what the gains were. We picked up +17 whp/+14 wtq in peak numbers and a max delta of +22whp/+24wtq in the midrange @ 4900RPM! This is without making any load changes, which may yield even better results. We also did a ďstockĒ run at the end - but with all my bolt-ons. I would expect the base numbers to be 15whp/15wtq lower if it was a true stock run:

Ambient: 80F, Humidity: 38%, Pressure: 29.69 in-Hg STD: 1.02
    Click here to enlarge

Iím pretty happy with the outcome. Doing back to back pulls with the OTS map vs. the ProTuned map, you can feel a big difference in the midrange at the onset of WOT. The car just feels more ďeagerĒ to move with the added timing.

Overall, I only have good things to say about my pro-tuning experience. Iíve had some follow-up questions and logs that I was curious about and Dzenno has been able to respond back immediately. So, they wonít just hang you out to dry after the protune is complete. I would recommend getting a protune once you have all your bolt-on upgrades in place; I waited until I was FBO and it was the next logical step for me. Iím thinking of getting a custom E85 or meth map for my next protune.

Oh, and for those that are wondering, the Dynojet at Champion Motors is fairly conservative. As a reference, Dzenno made 402whp/445wtq on the same dyno with FBO+meth back when he was still on stock turbos. Iíd expect peak ~400whp/~440wtq on more optimistic Dynojets (ie. Neetronics for our local guys). Anyway, here are some quick pics from Champion Motors. Theyíre a legit shop that mainly specializes in Vettes or LSX motors. There were some serious 900+ whp twin turbo Vettes while we were there Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks really good! It probably will deliver better top end on the street where the intercooler gets enough air Click here to enlarge

Can't wait to get my protune!
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome deltas man!!!
    I'll be getting with jake this Sunday after Bimmerfest to get some FBO+meth+e85 tuning.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome deltas man!!!
    I'll be getting with jake this Sunday after Bimmerfest to get some FBO+meth+e85 tuning.
    Hey man Click here to enlarge

It would be cool if you start with only E85 tuning and then add meth on top just to see how much relevant meth becomes when you have E85 in the tank
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Great write up and results! The increased timing makes the car feel so much better, everyone with Cobb should get a protune!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

SO MANY +1's!!!!

+1 for Before/After results for an E85+Meth map to see if Meth still has a significant impact on performance

+1 for all COBB users getting ProTune'd

+1 for PTF!! & Bimmerfest East
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Appreciate the review @nitehawk . Can't wait until we try out some of that smuggled E85 I got 2 weeks ago at Niagara Falls on the US side LOL

One thing people may not realize (seems that Shiv missed it given his comment on e90), is that we managed to pull of these gains with actually LESS boost than OTS Stage2+ aggressive. There's 1psi less in fact than OTS. Adding that boost back into it is easy and only shows there's more to be had on E85 and/or meth in both timing and boost

As FYI to others, changes in this particular pro tune, other than a very different timing map (not just the last column as that doesn't work) also involved various fuel mapping changes
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 08-22-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    all you fools that will be at bimmerfest... let me know where u r setting up shop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No problem @dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks. Agreed, for a fun DD map, I'm happy with the outcome.
    We can go more crazy on e85 Click here to enlarge

Custom tuning is the way to go maximize gains for each individual vehicle. I absolutely recommend it!
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice, I am eagerly waiting for a pro tune from Jake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dude's just got a passion for starting $#@!...

The Baseline aggressive maps have virtually the same ign advance targets as all the Cobb aggressive logs I've seen. The differences in response comes primarily from throttle/boost control.

And if anyone thinks the sky is the limit on custom dme programming hasn't tried to make a max power tune yet. Have we even seem any Cobb tuned RB cars that are making anything close to the power we have seen them make with other tunes? I tuned dzennos car to 500whp last year. Is he making anything close to that now? I'm not trying to start an argument. Just looking for actual data.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734990

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt when someone gave a non-biased review. I think that poster highlighted the differences quite well. A good friend of mine ordered the SE 2.5 PROcede. He promptly returned it and ordered an AP after seeing how unbelievably Nonuser friendly it was. Couldn't even get the POS to connect via USB. After seeing how messy it gets plugging into the DME connections and how terribly confusing it is to match up maps with firmware version (which is literally confusing as $#@!) I'm very glad I chose Cobb.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Dude's just got a passion for starting $#@!...

The Baseline aggressive maps have virtually the same ign advance targets as all the Cobb aggressive logs I've seen. The differences in response comes primarily from throttle/boost control.

And if anyone thinks the sky is the limit on custom dme programming hasn't tried to make a max power tune yet. Have we even seem any Cobb tuned RB cars that are making anything close to the power we have seen them make with other tunes? I tuned dzennos car to 500whp last year. Is he making anything close to that now? I'm not trying to start an argument. Just looking for actual data.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734990
    lol Shiv's taxes must be due again -- he's going on the rampage. Love his signature too. Last time I checked we had the E9X twin turbo 1/4 mile, mph, and 60-130 records. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm loving Rob's casual response

I think Shiv is right, it's constant spooling the turbos even on the smallest tip-in that makes the in your face aggressive response. It's too much for me as I find it hard to modulate the throttle making the non-LSD car snap too easily. I'm an autocross/track guy who likes a nice linear throttle. It seems like the piggie has a hard time blending the part throttle with the full throttle. It seemed in consistent. Drove well at full throttle.

Cheers,
    Rob

And good catch Terry on the lies in his sig

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol, its "that time of the month again" and im not referring to payment due dates Click here to enlarge

whats his sig say? better not say nothin about a TT record scumbag

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    www.vishnutuning.com
    All the Twin and Single turbo E9X World Records (1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 60-130mph, 100-200kph, Dyno, etc,.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's gotten worse, he's clearly trying to pick a fight with Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    While I agree with many who say they prefer the tip-in response of the stock throttle mapping (both piggies on OEM tune and ST Cobb OTS maps) on the piggies boost response is still tip-in heavy on the stock mapping. Cobb gives different mapping for different preferences.

I wonder if Shiv ever fixed that nasty post-shift overboosting issue though... doesn't look that way. Doesn't happen on Cobb, doesn't happen on the JB4 either. I personally didn't mind when I ran the Procede because I simply dropped the UT (old V4/V5 lingo) to compensate for this expected overboost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt when someone gave a non-biased review. I think that poster highlighted the differences quite well. A good friend of mine ordered the SE 2.5 PROcede. He promptly returned it and ordered an AP after seeing how unbelievably Nonuser friendly it was. Couldn't even get the POS to connect via USB. After seeing how messy it gets plugging into the DME connections and how terribly confusing it is to match up maps with firmware version (which is literally confusing as $#@!) I'm very glad I chose Cobb.
    I can see how the casual user would loathe the PROcede user interface, I never found it all that difficult to figure out. Problem is he keeps changing stuff around and finding a changelog or getting support is next to impossible. I also don't like his top-end boost mapping at all. His solution? Shift at 6000 RPM.

Connecting the harnesses and power spade aren't all that difficult or an issue for me. And this is coming from a current AP user.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wish I could have gotten a chance to try the UI. I was honestly looking forward to driving a PROcede car. We never got it working. It was like the PROcede was dead. Car drove fine, made a u-turn and all hell broke loose. It seemed like the PROcede lost power but we couldn't isolate the issue. Put it back to stock and all was well. Flashed his car with my Cobb and he immediately fell in love with the AP. I think it had something to do with us being able to sit back and enjoy some fresh brews as the AP did all the work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wish I could have gotten a chance to try the UI. I was honestly looking forward to driving a PROcede car. We never got it working. It was like the PROcede was dead. Car drove fine, made a u-turn and all hell broke loose. It seemed like the PROcede lost power but we couldn't isolate the issue. Put it back to stock and all was well. Flashed his car with my Cobb and he immediately fell in love with the AP. I think it had something to do with us being able to sit back and enjoy some fresh brews as the AP did all the work.
    The rows and cells in custom tuning are not click friendly which means your tab key will be working overtime. I "tuned" an RB turbo car using the Procede UI and found the default boost curve @ UT100 and ignition mapping to be quite satisfactory.

I wanted to buy a Procede rev2.5SE for $495 since it didn't VIN lock just to see what all the fuss was about, but then they told me it was $28 for shipping and I said eff that Click here to enlarge I'm not paying $28 dollars for something that costs them $6.10 to ship through USPS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To run the procede you need to constantly be updated and read threads about it. I am constantly helping people installing or configuring their procede because they have 0 clue. I dont get why such people just dont get a cobb. Also many people have no clue about the vin lock. they sell it and the buyer is basically stuck with a useless tune.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    www.vishnutuning.com
    All the Twin and Single turbo E9X World Records (1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 60-130mph, 100-200kph, Dyno, etc,.
    Why is nobody calling him on this?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why is nobody calling him on this?
    Everyone is banned lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Everyone is banned lol
    Hahahahahaha!

Still, it's pretty blatant and kind of an insult to the intelligence of anyone who knows anything.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast