Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Got the diesel fluid warning today...

I have a service coming up in less than 1k miles on the X5 35D. When the car starts and shuts off now it warns you that it will NOT start once the reserve is gone. This is actually Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). I just thought it was interesting that my car told me it wouldn't start once it is gone. I mean it makes sense since it can't operate the exhaust properly without the fluid. Also, you could also refill it yourself if you want to skip the dealer or are maintaining the car yourself.

Anyway, first time I saw it...coming up on 10k miles. Oh and the TPMS is possessed and keeps faulting and then resetting. So annoying. I think I will just disable it in bav tech if possible until I can get it in to the dealer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    if your tpms keeps resetting, it could be due to a bad sensor inside one of the wheels. We had that issue with my girls car, a whole new set cured that problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    if your tpms keeps resetting, it could be due to a bad sensor inside one of the wheels. We had that issue with my girls car, a whole new set cured that problem.
    Yah that is what I'm guessing...just annoying at the moment more than anything. I had the wheels painted and I'm somewhat hesitant to have a tech muscle the tires off. Will have to make sure they are careful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

paint is the worst thing you could have done...powdercoat is much stronger and will not flake off.

But yes, the car will not start when the DEF runs out. That was a feature they integrated when the car was released a few years back. The benzes are the same I believe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    paint is the worst thing you could have done...powdercoat is much stronger and will not flake off.

But yes, the car will not start when the DEF runs out. That was a feature they integrated when the car was released a few years back. The benzes are the same I believe.
    Paint will not flake off the wheel unless it was not properly applied...and you can easily remove powder or paint if you aren't careful changing a tire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    I have a service coming up in less than 1k miles on the X5 35D. When the car starts and shuts off now it warns you that it will NOT start once the reserve is gone. This is actually Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). I just thought it was interesting that my car told me it wouldn't start once it is gone. I mean it makes sense since it can't operate the exhaust properly without the fluid. Also, you could also refill it yourself if you want to skip the dealer or are maintaining the car yourself.

Anyway, first time I saw it...coming up on 10k miles. Oh and the TPMS is possessed and keeps faulting and then resetting. So annoying. I think I will just disable it in bav tech if possible until I can get it in to the dealer.
    So you run out of fluid and you are stuck? Period?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So you run out of fluid and you are stuck? Period?
    I haven't tried, but that is my understanding. You can buy it at most gas stations with diesel, auto-parts stores, etc. There is a tool to open the reservoir that comes with the vehicle. So you could do it yourself if you say, went on a super long trip and didn't realize you would run out before you get to the dealer. My understanding is that it smells like cat-piss. Car comes with a couple of pairs of gloves...should be a 100 count. ; )

You could also remove the system with tuning/coding, but that defeats the purpose for me. I now have 2 fairly high pollution V8s, so this is my balance...plus it has no exhaust smell at all which is nice for my daughter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    I haven't tried, but that is my understanding. You can buy it at most gas stations with diesel, auto-parts stores, etc. There is a tool to open the reservoir that comes with the vehicle. So you could do it yourself if you say, went on a super long trip and didn't realize you would run out before you get to the dealer. My understanding is that it smells like cat-piss. Car comes with a couple of pairs of gloves...should be a 100 count. ; )
    This honestly sounds like a huge hassle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

This honestly sounds like a huge hassle.
    That's why I made this post. So people know what they are getting into. : )

But honestly, for most people it is as simple as - every 10k miles, take the car for service.

I was cleaning out the car today from the last trip, so vacuuming and such...the stupid warning kept coming on constantly. So they do give you a solid heads up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Ok every 10k miles then? Not too bad.

It comes on I hope well in advance?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok every 10k miles then? Not too bad.

It comes on I hope well in advance?
    1k miles in advance. There are some reports of people having to go in early for it, but I believe they were related to some other issue. In other words, if the system is functioning properly, it should overlap with your normal service interval.