Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Ok, smoke test done for boost leak. No leak found?

My car is getting the windshield seal redone because water was leaking in. WHile getting this done the company had a smoke tester. Ive known his guy for a long time and they work on mainly BMWs. So he did a smoke test and just gave me a call and said he cant find a single leak. Ive been getting the P3OFF code for boost leak when doing third gear pulls. THis is the only time I really get the code. SO what can the problem be? Can it be something is the software? Didnt COBB have an issue with a boost leak code on their stage 2+FMIC aggressive V401 or V400 maps? I am protuned, but assuming the protune was based off the stage 2+FMIC maps. Could this be a software issue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    John, may be it's your boost solenoids.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Good point. Plug in a vacuum gauge in the vacuum line going from the wastegate solenoid down to the actuator and run the gauge in the cabin through the window. check you vacuum reported on the gauge at idle just going WOT and letting off (what is it at let off time). And then go for a spin and do a WOT pull in say 3rd and see where the vacuum sits and report back.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok I wont be gettin the car back until tomorrow. So Ill have to give it a try then. If this is the case, is it a major fix?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Good point. Plug in a vacuum gauge in the vacuum line going from the wastegate solenoid down to the actuator and run the gauge in the cabin through the window. check you vacuum reported on the gauge at idle just going WOT and letting off (what is it at let off time). And then go for a spin and do a WOT pull in say 3rd and see where the vacuum sits and report back.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Marwan, thanks man. Im going to have to check this out. Seems like Im having some issues as of late lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by woptang22 Click here to enlarge
    Ok I wont be gettin the car back until tomorrow. So Ill have to give it a try then. If this is the case, is it a major fix?
    No, its relatively cheap, ~$100 for each solenoid from Tischer and replacement is easy as its from the top of the engine bay (they sit on the right hand side of the engine block, right above the turbos)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great to hear. Ive had some issues lately and hope I can get some time to enjoy the car.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    No, its relatively cheap, ~$100 for each solenoid from Tischer and replacement is easy as its from the top of the engine bay (they sit on the right hand side of the engine block, right above the turbos)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Or it could simply be your wastegates giving out. That isn't a cheap fix unfortunately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What Josh is saying might be true too but I doubt it. I really think you should be hitting those boost levels without touching boost control in the way he's describing. Nothing wrong trying his suggestion though, give it a shot. Maybe your wastegates are just really loose and the after pid is just simply an indicator of that and not a leak or wastegate solenoids. I'm not betting on it though as you keep adding wgdc and boost isn't moving up by much at all. I still think its mechanical although throwing more wgdc might be a "workaround" not a solution, but its debatable
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This stuff is confusing to me lol. I wish I knew more about all this WGDC and all. I just need to somehow get it handled. I dont really have the necessary tools or vacuum gauge. So I guess Im going to have to find someone that can do it for me.
    What Josh is saying might be true too but I doubt it. I really think you should be hitting those boost levels without touching boost control in the way he's describing. Nothing wrong trying his suggestion though, give it a shot. Maybe your wastegates are just really loose and the after pid is just simply an indicator of that and not a leak or wastegate solenoids. I'm not betting on it though as you keep adding wgdc and boost isn't moving up by much at all. I still think its mechanical although throwing more wgdc might be a "workaround" not a solution, but its debatable

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have stock DVs? It could def be those. Since you're only getting the code during 3rd gear pulls, it's under pretty high boost. I don't know anything about the smoke test but do they test it at 17-18 psi? Other than that WG is the only other thing i could think of.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have an ETS chargepipe and Tial BOV so the stock DVs are gone. I was hoping it would have been that but wasnt. I had the smoke test done yesterday and they couldnt find any leaks. But they did check all the connections for the FMIC, chargepipe ETC. And they were able to tighten a few things which Im hoping could be the issue. Just not sure why the smoke test didnt show the leak. Unless its something else.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Do you have stock DVs? It could def be those. Since you're only getting the code during 3rd gear pulls, it's under pretty high boost. I don't know anything about the smoke test but do they test it at 17-18 psi? Other than that WG is the only other thing i could think of.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have an ETS chargepipe and Tial BOV so the stock DVs are gone. I was hoping it would have been that but wasnt. I had the smoke test done yesterday and they couldnt find any leaks. But they did check all the connections for the FMIC, chargepipe ETC. And they were able to tighten a few things which Im hoping could be the issue. Just not sure why the smoke test didnt show the leak. Unless its something else.
    If you know someone with an N54, I would swap his boost solenoids in just to rule them out
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Or it could simply be your wastegates giving out. That isn't a cheap fix unfortunately.
    It will be free if your car is less than 8 years old and has less than 82,000 miles on it. The warranty on wastegates was just extended.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you know someone with an N54, I would swap his boost solenoids in just to rule them out
    Boost solenoids do go especially with mileage and the heat from the DP areas. Its a pretty expensive piece but very very easy to change out...Problem there is two of them!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone tried running a single boost control solenoid, like BMS suggests for the Jb+?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It could be a crack in the Intercooler that isnt letting smoke out because it only opens when pressurized.

It could be a leaking DV. Or a leaking CP.

Or it could be vac hoses.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @woptang22 you figure it out?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I havent figured it out yet. I actually got the car back on friday and havent had much time to test drive it. Smoke test was done but no leaks found. But I was told some fittings were tightened because they were a bit loose. THis was on the FMIC and chargepipe. Im hoping this is this issue and nothing to major. I have 39,000 miles on my car, so not a ton. So I guess Id qualify for the extension in the turbos and wastegates. Just hoping thats not the issue/.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    @woptang22 you figure it out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're under warrenty and cant figure it out, take it to BMW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At this point Its just not possible for me to pay all that money to have all these mods removed right now to bring it in to a BMW dealer. But at some point Im going to have to. I havent got a chance to get out and rip in the car to see if the boost leak is still happeneing/ So after I get out in it Ill get a better idea of what I need to do.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    If you're under warrenty and cant figure it out, take it to BMW

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And actually I have no warranty left except for the extension of the wastegates and turbos. I do have a 3rd party warranty, I wonder if that will cover it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At this point Its just not possible for me to pay all that money to have all these mods removed right now to bring it in to a BMW dealer. But at some point Im going to have to. I havent got a chance to get out and rip in the car to see if the boost leak is still happeneing/ So after I get out in it Ill get a better idea of what I need to do.
    Yeah its a huge PITA uninstalling everything.

My guess is you have a crack in the end-tank of your intercooler, thats what mine was, its almost impossible to test it, because it only opens when its under pressure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    get a vacuum gauge to check the lines
    1. apply vacuum to the post solenoid lines... if it holds they are good
    2. apply vacuum pre-solenoid by capping from the pump with your finger... if it holds good.
    3. measure vacuum at idle pre-solenoid... should be around 25"
    4. You can measure post solenoid and correlate to the WGDC, or T the line and view inside while stomping on it. This would determine solenoid, pump, or WG issue.

pressurizing the piping from hot side IC inlet would be best... not sure how they do a smoke test, but doesn't sound like its under much pressure.

post the log up that determined it was a boost leak... just curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    get a vacuum gauge to check the lines
    4. You can measure post solenoid and correlate to the WGDC, or T the line and view inside while stomping on it. This would determine solenoid, pump, or WG issue.

pressurizing the piping from hot side IC inlet would be best... not sure how they do a smoke test, but doesn't sound like its under much pressure.
    The post-solenoid vacuum cycle looks a little like this:

Idle/cruise = 7inHg
    Boost demand = full vacuum (about 22-25inHg)
    Boost point reached, cycling WGDC to maintain = 5-15inHg

You could have really loose WGAs. Mine had to be adjusted at least 4-5mm shorter, 58k miles, appears to be original turbos. I have an aftermarket warranty, so if they really crap out or the WG shaft wears really badly, I'm covered for another 40k miles.

If the dealer cannot find a boost issue with stock programming, they will not investigate further.

Unless they used their smoke tester AND pressurized the intake to 20psi, they probably can't find a leak. Smoke testers were originally designed for EVAP systems, and they run a max of 1/2psi pressure, typically 1/4psi.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast