Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Carbon Cleaning Pics **Warning - Graphic**

Seeing as how I was experiencing rough idle and some shuddering when accellerating in high gear from lower RPMs, I decided to get my car carbon blasted before progressing to meth, RBs, and a pro tune from Dzenno hopefully next month. Wow, the difference is really noticeable! Engine runs like clockwork now Click here to enlarge

Car has 49k and the engine was never cleaned before. I've only been running an OCC for a couple thousand miles and have not seen much collection at all, though there was a fair amount in the stock FMIC when I took it out. I've been FBO AP Stage 2 for about 5k miles and was running Stage 1 for about 10k before that. I purchased the car nearly two years ago as an off-lease CPO with 30k miles on it. Full mods are in my sig

I got the walnut blasting done at a dealership for $550 after tax. They gave me a loaner 2012 328i for the day and a free car wash afterwards Click here to enlarge

Warning - These pics may be unsuitable for elderly pregnant people with heart conditions. I apologize for the quality as it was the service rep with his phone camera.

BEFORE Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

AFTER Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Last edited by cyniclaus; 08-15-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    08 E92 335xi 6MT: Cobb/PTF Stage 3, RB Turbos, Aquamist HSF-4 @ 90/10, CM FX850, Quaife LSD, Suspension by Koni/TCK/Swift, CP-E Catless DPs, ETS 7" FMIC, BMS OCC, Stett CAI & CP/Forge DVs, UUC Evo3, OZ Alleggeritas/w PSS, H&R 20mm ASB, M3 SF bushings, Megan Racing control arms. Going on soon: WOTbox. Stett Oil Cooler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

That's gross.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

That's like porting a head but only going backwards, adding material instead of opening it up. No wonder some folks experience smoother idle as well as some extra power once its restored/cleaned. Good stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't believe the carnage that takes place in these ports of ours. I'm a little over 30k miles, I my look into this. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Whoa
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I've been planning on DIY cleaning for a while now. My car just hit 29K so I think its due for a cleanup soon.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Square&Level Click here to enlarge
    I can't believe the carnage that takes place in these ports of ours. I'm a little over 30k miles, I my look into this. Click here to enlarge
    I'm at ~38K on my 07 and I'm seriously considering it after seeing pics from a local guy who just had his cleaned. His was an 07 with around ~26K miles. It wasn't as dirty as the higher mileage cars, but in my opinion, it still certainly needed it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I've got an air compressor. I may try to tackle this myself. Someone on E90 had a decent write-up, using a media blaster and a shop vac.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I actually have that same blaster the guy used and I've done cleaning both manual scrub and walnut shell blast. Manual took ~3hrs and walnut shell took 1hr. That difference alone is worth it to me as I don't enjoy hyperextending my knees. You do need a good compressor though with a +5gal tank. Bigger the tank and higher the pressure, the better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I have 53k miles and haven't done this yet, car runs fine though. I guess I should have this done on my next oil change this fall. Thanks for the pics!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

46k miles, give or take

here is my contribution. Wasn't all that bad, but did it just before I got the AP.

If anyone in the NorCal area wants a Group Rate, let me know. Elk Grove Niello will hook it up. PM me for details.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

You think thats bad? Hehe wait til I find my pic on here from my bosses former 135. You cant even see the valve O.o

Weve been using the actual BMW media blaster...wasnt cheap at about $1000. Good vacuum setup (5 gal shop vac, has to get emptied every time) will work wonders.

Looks like the dealer left a few chunks on the sides....i usually try to get everything out. Never know when a residual chunk might break free.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    I actually have that same blaster the guy used and I've done cleaning both manual scrub and walnut shell blast. Manual took ~3hrs and walnut shell took 1hr. That difference alone is worth it to me as I don't enjoy hyperextending my knees. You do need a good compressor though with a +5gal tank. Bigger the tank and higher the pressure, the better.
    Is this the harbor freight blaster? My compressor is small though (3gal / 2.5psi at 90psi) which I don't think will work... maybe I could do short bursts? I've already done the brush scrubbing, but when I eventually do my clutch I'd like to blast it depending how it looks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

The bmw one is regulated to 90-100psi and moves some serious cfm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Is this the harbor freight blaster? My compressor is small though (3gal / 2.5psi at 90psi) which I don't think will work... maybe I could do short bursts? I've already done the brush scrubbing, but when I eventually do my clutch I'd like to blast it depending how it looks.
    You mean 2.5scfm? That's not enoguh. Yes it's the Harbor Freight blaster, and it works well out of the box assuming you use the "fine" grade walnut shell. I've used a roofing compressor (1.5gal, 1.2scfm @ 90psi) and it just doesn't do the same job. You need tons of air. I'd say 5scfm @ 120ish psi for a good detail. This is only achievable with a larger compressor. I rented one, can you not do the same down there for a few bucks per day?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    You mean 2.5scfm? That's not enoguh. Yes it's the Harbor Freight blaster, and it works well out of the box assuming you use the "fine" grade walnut shell. I've used a roofing compressor (1.5gal, 1.2scfm @ 90psi) and it just doesn't do the same job. You need tons of air. I'd say 5scfm @ 120ish psi for a good detail. This is only achievable with a larger compressor. I rented one, can you not do the same down there for a few bucks per day?
    Yeah, I was afraid of that... I'm sure I can borrow from a neighbor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Is $550 a good price?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is $550 a good price?
    I can get you a better rate, but the delta would be spent in gas.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Can't wait to get mine cleaned. Hope it will clean up my timing Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Doesn't the head have to be pulled to blast it? $550 seems cheap for that.

On a side note, has anyone tried Seafoaming the N54? Anyone know if you can even run Seafoam on a DI + turbo engine?
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Only the intake manifold is removed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vladi627 Click here to enlarge
    Only the intake manifold is removed.
    So how do you prevent getting getting blasting media in the combustion chamber? Roll the motor over as you go or what?
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    So how do you prevent getting getting blasting media in the combustion chamber? Roll the motor over as you go or what?
    Make sure the valves are closed in the cylinder you are working.

Then shorten the starter to make the engine revolve and close the valves in the next cylinder.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

2-3 cylinders will be closed at a time. Clean those, then you can blip the starter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    On a side note, has anyone tried Seafoaming the N54? Anyone know if you can even run Seafoam on a DI + turbo engine?
    Guys have done seafoam: http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...hlight=seafoam
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast