Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

My link doesn't work for whatever reason.. Gotta love adapting to a different forum..

Cn555ic - Do you think I can access the sensor without removal of the mani? I would think its possible as you just need to remove the harness box..

Blisstik - I would clean my valves, but I'm going to try to replace the sensor without popping off the intake manifold first. I also had my valves cleaned less than 10k miles ago.. That being said I would like to make valve cleaning something I do every 10k miles.. I put on a lot of miles very quickly and don't have the space or I'd try to check/clean every 2 oil changes (6k miles).. Regarding injector coding.. the injectors on the car are the same ones from the factory. Injector(s) itself could definitely be on its way out though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Guys I just took a quick stab at it.. I'm stuck at the engine wiring harness box thang under ther intake mani.. I see there are 3 torx screws on the bottom, but I can't seem to get a proper angle to remove them.

I put a lil WD-40 on the rails to see if I could loosen them up a bit and just slide the sucker off, but I don't think they'll budge unless I'm doing something wrong here..

Anyone have any tips?? I'm so close and it was so easy up until now lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ssharma Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guys I just took a quick stab at it.. I'm stuck at the engine wiring harness box thang under ther intake mani.. I see there are 3 torx screws on the bottom, but I can't seem to get a proper angle to remove them.

I put a lil WD-40 on the rails to see if I could loosen them up a bit and just slide the sucker off, but I don't think they'll budge unless I'm doing something wrong here..

Anyone have any tips?? I'm so close and it was so easy up until now lol.
    You have to mess with the tabs and the box will slide off them. They have a little lock molded into them. A little pick tool or a tiny flathead screwdriver works well to pry up the box, allowing it to slide over.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    You have to mess with the tabs and the box will slide off them. They have a little lock molded into them. A little pick tool or a tiny flathead screwdriver works well to pry up the box, allowing it to slide over.
    Ok I guess I'm just not being aggressive enough... I didn't want to break a tab in the process so I thought I'd ask y'all.. thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Ok I guess I'm just not being aggressive enough... I didn't want to break a tab in the process so I thought I'd ask y'all.. thanks
    yeah it will take some effort, now that you got it covered in wd40 lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1799 Post(s)

My link doesn't work for whatever reason.. Gotta love adapting to a different forum..
    It isn't the forum it's how you posted the link, which was incomplete.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It isn't the forum it's how you posted the link, which was incomplete.
    Ah.. duh thanks.

Gave up on that rail yesterday and just put the car back together. Felt like I was cracking the box itself.. I'll have it replaced next weekend.. Just hoping this is all!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

I had to unbolt the manifold and then unscrew the box... A real $#@!. Even after everything was off i could NOT remove the bracket from the box. So replaced it with 2 screw instead of 3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

YOu can access the LP sensor without taking off the box from manifold, but the manifold must be loosen up and lifted a little off but doesnt require it to be completely off the car...All you need to do is pull it up and push it aside a drop. I didnt take off the manifold completely, just lifted it about up and pushed it a drop to right and was able to see the sensor. Sharma I think you are not locating this sensor because if you were able to see the box and the tabs, then right behind is the sensor which is towards the center and the bolt is copper plated in color and small wire clip is hooked up to it. I cant believe you went that far to give up and put it back together! Like I said if you saw the wiring box and the clips, then you should have access to the LP sensor from that point if you loosened up the manifold bolts...Shops are going to rape you with this installation and will charge up to 200-250 for this.

Changing out this faulty sensor should do the trick IMO if your experiencing the same symptoms. If you have INPA try to read the Measurment block 6 which has the low pressure sensor reading in that table. Like member James stated if the reading is not hovering around 5000Hpa then the sensor is faulty. I had mine read excessively high at 7403 and recently my friend had issues with similar codes so I read his LP sensor reading and it was even higher than mine at 8600... He brought his car into dealership and indeed they changed his LP sensor.. He got his car back and said the car was running stronger than ever! lol
    Last edited by Cn555ic; 08-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I should have clarified when I said I'd have it replaced next weekend its by someone I know from my hometown.. That a valve cleaning, changing my tranny fluid/dif fluid (I have no level area to jack my car up) should run me 150 or so..

I know I was right there.. I could actually see the sensor in parts behind the box when I looked around.. Getting to that point took me about 25ish minutes, but I just got fed up with the box and decided I'd rather enjoy my weekend a bit. Outside of that box its a very straightforward and easy process.. I'm sure the box isn't too bad either.. I just didn't want to deal with the oddly positioned torx screws or breaking the box as I felt I was already doing when trying to pry it off the tabs.

I have no cable for INPA soo INPA is useless for me right now. unless anyone in the tristate area wants to help a brotha out Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

If you are reading low pressure system at 3.5bar, it may truly be a bad fuel pump or pressure regulator/clogged filter. The pump is on the passenger side inside the tank, the low pressure regulator and filter are inside the driver's side of the tank. However, the sensor is the cheapest of all 3 parts to change, which is why I'd do that first. Otherwise you'll need to test the pressure from the LP system with a fuel pressure gauge to confirm whether the sensor is bad and only reading 3.5 bar or whether there's truly a low pressure delivery problem. Should always be 5.0bar / 5000HPa / 72psi on the low pressure side.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That was my worry.. I need to find out if its really pegged at 3.5 bar or not.. I believe Terry said this was a scaled value in psi.. so I'm a bit confused.. .0689 bar seems too low lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Also I'll throw it out there again... Anyone in the tri-state area with INPA that could help me out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That was my worry.. I need to find out if its really pegged at 3.5 bar or not.. I believe Terry said this was a scaled value in psi.. so I'm a bit confused.. .0689 bar seems too low lol.
    Typo.. should read 0.238095 bar.. apparently i really am pegged at this per my logs... oye

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Also I'll throw it out there again... Anyone in the tri-state area with INPA that could help me out?

If you really need to read the low pressure sensor with INPA, come meet me tomorrow and I can help you with that...Let me know

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    If you really need to read the low pressure sensor with INPA, come meet me tomorrow and I can help you with that...Let me know
    alright.. i might do it if its not much of a hassle for you.. i don't think i'll have peace of mind until then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    He came by yesterday and i read his LP sensor and it was stuck at 6501 Hpa and didn't even move which Indicates the sensor is indeed faulty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Was just about to post this. There was absolutely no movement in the reading. Thanks again to cn555ic!

as in his case my reading was pegged at an abnormally high value.. not sure what information the jb4 was feeding me.. perhaps i just don't understand how its scaled..

so to show a few examples of static high values (fuel sensor should be the issue)
    mine: 6501 hPa (6.5 bar)
    cn555ic: 7403 hPa (7.4 bar)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Was just about to post this. There was absolutely no movement in the reading. Thanks again to cn555ic!

as in his case my reading was pegged at an abnormally high value.. not sure what information the jb4 was feeding me.. perhaps i just don't understand how its scaled..

so to show a few examples of static high values (fuel sensor should be the issue)
    mine: 6501 hPa (6.5 bar)
    cn555ic: 7403 hPa (7.4 bar)
    I just checked my friend car who had a reading of 8908 or something on his LP sensor pinned and not moving. He went to dealer and got the sensor changed and now his reading is reading normal values of 5000 Hpa and moving and not steady...Change it out Ssharma thats your issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

ssharma any news of your situation?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    ssharma any news of your situation?
    Just replaced the sensor. Day and night difference. Haven't had a chance to log but wil do so tonight and will throw some e85 in there. I'll also upload a picture of the sensor when I get a chance. Big test for me will be fuel cuts with e85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Alright guys, attached are some pulls I did in second/third/fourth gear.. Put some e85 in and the car was driving great. No misfires, no fuel cuts, no hesitation at low throttle/rpms.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

cold start misfires in cylinder 4 are still there though nothing violent. Spark plugs look fine as I stated before as well as coil packs. Swapped coils again and still no change. My guess is an injector. I'm less worried about the injector since I'm not getting the WOT fuel cuts even with a pretty nice dose of e85. My car hasn't fully adapted again, but should next time I do some pulls. I usually boost a lil higher than what I logged. Still haven't taken a picture of the fouled fuel pressure sensor, but will upload it when I do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

No need to upload the picture as all you will see is just that a LP sensor that doesnt work, but you cant tell from just looking at the outside of it! Glad it fixed your problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

No need to upload the picture as all you will see is just that a LP sensor that doesnt work, but you cant tell from just looking at the outside of it! Glad it fixed your problem.

wanted to show the sensor for the sake of showing people what the sensor looks like (though its been shown many times)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast