Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I was recently told that the lash in the wavetrac/quaife LSDs are much looser than the OEM open diffs. But if the driveshaft is positively loaded at a stop and this is caused by the lash absorbing any preload, what exactly occurs during a 1st gear shift with the clutch depressed that would cause such a noise? Can @Mike@VAC elaborate what he told TRES?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    I was recently told that the lash in the wavetrac/quaife LSDs are much looser than the OEM open diffs. But if the driveshaft is positively loaded at a stop and this is caused by the lash absorbing any preload, what exactly occurs during a 1st gear shift with the clutch depressed that would cause such a noise? Can @Mike@VAC elaborate what he told TRES?
    I picked up my car last night. Sure enough, it does have the thump you describe on occasion. It's actually there sometimes while engaging into other gears as well, but most apparent from a standstill and engaging into first gear. I don't mind it all that much to be honest.

Btw, I don't think its related to backlash. mine was set perfectly to .004 thou
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Figured you would have it. I'm not implying pinion to ring lash, I beleive its internal lash which cannot be measured with a drop probe. Being that the driveshaft play was identical before/after, it must be an internal lash. Open diffs can have zero spider gear lash (theoretically) by definition of how they work. Just curious as to what the numbers are between Open/LSD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Figured you would have it. I'm not implying pinion to ring lash, I beleive its internal lash which cannot be measured with a drop probe. Being that the driveshaft play was identical before/after, it must be an internal lash. Open diffs can have zero spider gear lash (theoretically) by definition of how they work. Just curious as to what the numbers are between Open/LSD.
    So I contacted Wavetrac/AUTOTECHdriveline outlining our issue and here is what they had to say:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

What do you guys think? I believe Ivo just removed the propshaft from the rear diff and left everything else in tact, but I will have to confirm. I did reuse the propshaft clip, seal and nut.

@DefactoM6, I know you don't have any of these thump issues on your Wavetrac. Did you follow what's being mentioned here by Wavetrac?
    [

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I can tell you right away that neither of those issues they've claimed are causing the thump. Its just the unit itself. I also had the seal and nut replaced as well as readjusted the driveshaft and center support 4 times including going to BMW for advice, none of it helped. Its just the nature of the beast with the Wavetrac and guys running the Quaife have also reported it. Once my Quaife is on we'll see how it compares in that respect but I'm not holding my breath.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Even my oem open diff clunks in that same situation. I can also remember all of my mustangs having the same clunk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yea I thoguht it may be center bearing related, but that wont fix the play in the driveshaft. I think the manual calls for 30 degrees of rotation with the parking brake engaged. I'll wait until Dzenno gets his quaife and reports back before I go uninstalling the drive to look for culprits. $#@! to do on jackstands.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    What do you guys think? I believe Ivo just removed the propshaft from the rear diff and left everything else in tact, but I will have to confirm. I did reuse the propshaft clip, seal and nut.

@DefactoM6 , I know you don't have any of these thump issues on your Wavetrac. Did you follow what's being mentioned here by Wavetrac?
    I'd have to ask my master tech buddy, as I wasn't there for the part when the diff went in, only when the old one came out. And he's currently in Bermuda getting married...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Yes, its there on all the 6MT's with a Wavetrac. If you search e90post or possibly even on here (not sure how far back that was) you'll see me struggling trying to realize what it is Click here to enlarge In the end attribute it "racecar" noises. Quaife on a 6MT does it too apparently according to some although others say it can be setup not to thump when going from neutral into 1st as you described.

I'm getting a Quaife 2.56 now, swapping out my 3.08 Wavetrac, and we'll see if the same thump is still there. This time the 2.56 quaife unit has been set up entirely by HP Autowerks.
    just curious as to why you're going for a 2.56?

that's some crazy long final drive there!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sorry to bring this thread up again, but it seems like I've got the same problem that everyone here is describing.

About 4 months ago (say July 2012) I had a Wavetrac installed in my 135i. The clunk was noticeable from the start and it is now really starting to bug me. I have the DCT transmission and I can both hear and feel the slack in the driveline during various shift manoeuvres (engaging 1st / reverse especially swapping between the two, and when down changing manually when coming to a stop.

The response from Wavetrac posted earlier really does not impress me and demonstrates to me that they are trying whitewash the problem - very disappointing!

It would be nice to know exactly what the problem is with it and if it is able to be fixed without having to send the unit bact to Wavetrac (I don't fancy paying the shipping costs from Australia and back again). I'll try contacting them to see what they have to say but if anyone else has any ideas then I'm all ears.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Yes, its there on all the 6MT's with a Wavetrac. If you search e90post or possibly even on here (not sure how far back that was) you'll see me struggling trying to realize what it is Click here to enlarge In the end attribute it "racecar" noises. Quaife on a 6MT does it too apparently according to some although others say it can be setup not to thump when going from neutral into 1st as you described.

I'm getting a Quaife 2.56 now, swapping out my 3.08 Wavetrac, and we'll see if the same thump is still there. This time the 2.56 quaife unit has been set up entirely by HP Autowerks.
    I'll buy your wavetrac, if it's part number ending 170. Not interested in the pumpkin at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Can someone give me a list of parts numbers I will need for a Wavetrac install. I have a bolted diff. Do I need new axle seals, bolts, etc? I know I need the ar diff wrench which I'm right now trying to get.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    I'll buy your wavetrac, if it's part number ending 170. Not interested in the pumpkin at all.
    Already sold, sorry.

In terms of the "thump", its there even with the Quaife set up by HP Autowerks. Its just the nature of these diffs on this car people.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I think everybody should relax a bit and stop overreacting. The "thump" heard = hp. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Already sold, sorry.

In terms of the "thump", its there even with the Quaife set up by HP Autowerks. Its just the nature of these diffs on this car people.
    What other parts do I need for the install? any bolts, or axle seals...., etc?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Axle seals, fluid, 12 axle-to-diff output flange bolts. While all the heat sheilding is down, I suggest changing the guibo too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

i wonder if its there also with the os giken or drexler lsd
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

I don't think it's there, or nearly as evident in a clutch type LSD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I don't think it's there, or nearly as evident in a clutch type LSD.
    Unless I'm mistaken the E9x M3's LSD is a clutch type and it also thumps. I test drove one a while back when debating on a 335 vs M3 and I remember it thumping and me asking the sales guy about it Click here to enlarge

The one in the 1M also does the same

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

oh well i was planning to get an os giken but heard the drexler is the best
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Axle seals, fluid, 12 axle-to-diff output flange bolts. While all the heat sheilding is down, I suggest changing the guibo too.
    Thanks so much! anyone know the part numbers for the axle to diff output flange bolts, the axle seals, and the guibo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

@dzenno, hm didn't know that. I didn't think the clutch pack would be partially engaged nominally but I can see where the benefit lies therein. I retract my statement. @Turkeybaster115: Realoem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12