Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was making 600+whp on my stock motor with nitrous. You can get away with that much temporary power with race gas on the stock motor. But yes if you want more then 600+whp do pistons/rods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Why haven't you gone to a T-trim yet out of curiosity?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why haven't you gone to a T-trim yet out of curiosity?
    Money mainly, it comes in spurts for me depending on business. I preform mods as I have the disposable income to do so. I have already exhausted my original set aside budget building the car. I have so many things I still want to do to the car that it simply will take time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    Money mainly, it comes in spurts for me depending on business. I preform mods as I have the disposable income to do so. I have already exhausted my original set aside budget building the car. I have so many things I still want to do to the car that it simply will take time.
    I see, makes complete sense.

Sometimes there are good deals on T-trims on ebay, so just worth keeping an eye out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see, makes complete sense.

Sometimes there are good deals on T-trims on ebay, so just worth keeping an eye out.
    I want to retain the V3 series (self contained oiling)... so most likely my only option will be to send my unit back in for retrofit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

I want to retain the V3 series (self contained oiling)... so most likely my only option will be to send my unit back in for retrofit.
    Why V3? I would think you would want to have the option to change the oil and not be limited to what is in there without being able to touch it.

Yes, if you want to retain V3 you have to send it in then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why V3? I would think you would want to have the option to change the oil and not be limited to what is in there without being able to touch it.

Yes, if you want to retain V3 you have to send it in then.
    I can change the oil in the V3? If I switch to a V2 I have to plumb in oil lines etc.. The V3 is also the newer generation.. Dunno, I will explore the options at the time. I have yet to consult with Vortech anyway. I will ultimately get the blower recommended by both Vortech as well as my engine builder when the project starts. I've been some additional thinking on the EMS and will probably go with VAC's VANOS delete and run a MOTEC. Metric can cut me a custom cam, so there is a chance I may not even use a T-Trim if I can use the YSI-Trim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ccsykes, I have a T-Trim i'd be willing to trade for your Si-Trim. Email me at mspiredm@aol.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

I can change the oil in the V3? If I switch to a V2 I have to plumb in oil lines etc.. The V3 is also the newer generation.. Dunno, I will explore the options at the time. I have yet to consult with Vortech anyway. I will ultimately get the blower recommended by both Vortech as well as my engine builder when the project starts. I've been some additional thinking on the EMS and will probably go with VAC's VANOS delete and run a MOTEC. Metric can cut me a custom cam, so there is a chance I may not even use a T-Trim if I can use the YSI-Trim
    Damn, Motec and disable the Vanos? The car won't be happy down low.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Running the lines for the t-trim is not that difficult and it doesn't require many parts. All you need is the oil distribution block, feed line, drain line, and return fitting. V2 or V1 t-trim would be a good choice. I am thinking about V7 for my car as well. I have not tried to fit it yet. I might need to modify the sc bracket because the v7 is HUGE!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

^ No one has run a V7 JT trim, right? You were talking about the YSI I assume?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn, Motec and disable the Vanos? The car won't be happy down low.
    Not necessarily, engines have hauled ass for years before variable timing. If anything it will give me even greater flexibility in tuning the power curve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    ccsykes, I have a T-Trim i'd be willing to trade for your Si-Trim. Email me at mspiredm@aol.com
    You've got mail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

VANOS delete is for race cars that sit high in the RPM range and only use 2-3k of their rpm band. I think you'd be working backwards by removing VANOS. There are many piggy backs that control the VANOS, idk why you would remove it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

^ No one has run a V7 JT trim, right? You were talking about the YSI I assume?
    Yes, I was talking about the YSI. I'm not sure if the JT will work. It only comes in a straight volute. There would definitely need to be some custom work in order to make it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There has been a s54 with a YSI before, WizeguyM3 or something like that, I'll find some links/pics when I get to a PC.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

VANOS delete is for race cars that sit high in the RPM range and only use 2-3k of their rpm band. I think you'd be working backwards by removing VANOS. There are many piggy backs that control the VANOS, idk why you would remove it
    I feel the same way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

There has been a s54 with a YSI before, WizeguyM3 or something like that, I'll find some links/pics when I get to a PC.
    Yep, but he ended up giving up on the setup for whatever reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm still weighing my options but there are several reasons why a VANOS delete would be good. The most major reason is I could build the engine myself, VANOS is the main reason an S54 is not a straight forward build. Next is cost, it eliminates the cost associated with VANOS and the potential problem it can cause. It opens up opportunity to run custom cams which increase my options 10 fold.

Everyone is 100% right, removing VANOS will reduce low end performance. I have NO PROBLEM with this. Almost every car I have built has had poor performance on the street. I was around before variable timing,, VTEC etc.. I can deal with the low end loss because I will only be driving the car to shows, meets and to the track. I drive like a grandma on the street 95% of the time anyway. My 10 second street legal R/T had a 320d cam and a 8" 5,000 stall converter.. I know what low end anemic power feels like.

I will obviously consult with experts on this before I move forward though as I have little to no experience with VANOS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm not sure why he gave up on that project. I tried looking for his threads and it seems as if they have all been deleted?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, I'm not sure why he gave up on that project. I tried looking for his threads and it seems as if they have all been deleted?
    It blew up while racing CarbonChooch at last years October Bav Auto show. I was right next to it. He parted it out to stock and it's now for sale.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

I'm still weighing my options but there are several reasons why a VANOS delete would be good. The most major reason is I could build the engine myself, VANOS is the main reason an S54 is not a straight forward build. Next is cost, it eliminates the cost associated with VANOS and the potential problem it can cause. It opens up opportunity to run custom cams which increase my options 10 fold.

Everyone is 100% right, removing VANOS will reduce low end performance. I have NO PROBLEM with this. Almost every car I have built has had poor performance on the street. I was around before variable timing,, VTEC etc.. I can deal with the low end loss because I will only be driving the car to shows, meets and to the track. I drive like a grandma on the street 95% of the time anyway. My 10 second street legal R/T had a 320d cam and a 8" 5,000 stall converter.. I know what low end anemic power feels like.

I will obviously consult with experts on this before I move forward though as I have little to no experience with VANOS.
    You make some very good points here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    It blew up while racing CarbonChooch at last years October Bav Auto show. I was right next to it. He parted it out to stock and it's now for sale.
    Wow, it blew up huh? Do you believe it was due to the tune? He wasn't willing to try again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Wow, it blew up huh? Do you believe it was due to the tune? He wasn't willing to try again?
    A friend of mine, Nick built it. We are not sure what happened leading up to it. It was using a Vipec standalone and I'm not sure who tuned it or what it made. From what I know it went through alot of trials and tribulations and the owner had it. It was a 100k build and I think this was the last straw.

Before it blew up it looked like carbonchooch (vf stg. 3) had him on long sustained highway pulls. Both cars doing pulls was like watching two liter street bikes go at it. Sounded incredible. Carbonchooch put down 560whp the day before on pump. After the pull it was running on 5 cylinders. We limped it into the show. Mechanic showed up pulled the plug and tried a few things but looked like the cylinder was dead. We all assumed it was a bad coilpack or plug fouled before.

carbonchooch, me, and wizeguy

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He told us that it blew due to a bad injector, then he rebuilt it and the last thing we heard was he was transplanting the motor into an e30. Was the blown motor you guys talking about after the bad injector incident?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast