Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Question P30FF only around 6K RPM

I'm running COBB S2+ Sport custom PTF map and I'm getting P30FF code during WOT. The odd thing is it only happens above 6000 RPM on 3rd gear. Attached is the latest log.

I'm going to start with FMIC cleaning and reinstall.

What's next? Aftermarket chargepipe then solenoids?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The reason you get the code in 3rd at around 6k is because it takes time for the dme to realize it is consistently underboosting and on a longer pull that is what it shows you. This will also happen in any gear above that as long as you hold out WOT for long enough. 1st and 2nd are too short to trigger it and don't give the dme enough time to realize this issue. Also underboosting gets heavier as RPMs rise.

It can be a boost leak but it could also be your wastegate solenoids. I've emailed you all this info and how to troubleshoot a few times already but since the log is now posted up here the brief explanation on how to spot these would be WGDC After PID is consistently and considerably higher than the WGDC Base. Also given where your Requested Boost Absolute is and how much lower the Boost Mean Absolute that'd indicate the car isn't hitting boost targets. I'd start with a visual inspection first around the FMIC inlet/outlet, around the charge pipe and diverter valves. Then look at vacuum tubes going down from the vacuum tanks to the wastegate solenoids for any noticeable tears. Then, if you have the gauge and ability to do this, plug in a vacuum gauge in the line between the solenoids and the wastegate actuators and see how much vacuum your car is holding under WOT (should hit 20+inHg of vacuum). Then if that also doesn't uncover anything you can do a boost leak test on your own as it seems you're able to take the fmic out/in yourself. You can get one of these couplers and attach it to the FMIC hot side. There's an air compressor nipple on it where you can attach an air compressor and push about 20psi through it to pressurize. Then turn off the air compressor and see if you hear it hissing air from anywhere in the charge path towards the throttle body.

I'd appreciate keeping the logs to yourself until we are done tuning as we just started and encountered this and the issue with the BMS DP Fix v3 causing bank to bank AFR deviation which is now fixed as its been removed.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 08-13-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    The reason you get the code in 3rd at around 6k is because it takes time for the dme to realize it is consistently underboosting and on a longer pull that is what it shows you. This will also happen in any gear above that as long as you hold out WOT for long enough. 1st and 2nd are too short to trigger it and don't give the dme enough time to realize this issue. Also underboosting gets heavier as RPMs rise.

It can be a boost leak but it could also be your wastegate solenoids. I've emailed you all this info and how to troubleshoot a few times already but since the log is now posted up here the brief explanation on how to spot these would be WGDC After PID is consistently and considerably higher than the WGDC Base. Also given where your Requested Boost Absolute is and how much lower the Boost Mean Absolute that'd indicate the car isn't hitting boost targets. I'd start with a visual inspection first around the FMIC inlet/outlet, around the charge pipe and diverter valves. Then look at vacuum tubes going down from the vacuum tanks to the wastegate solenoids for any noticeable tears. Then, if you have the gauge and ability to do this, plug in a vacuum gauge in the line between the solenoids and the wastegate actuators and see how much vacuum your car is holding under WOT (should hit 20+inHg of vacuum). Then if that also doesn't uncover anything you can do a boost leak test on your own as it seems you're able to take the fmic out/in yourself. You can get one of these couplers and attach it to the FMIC hot side. There's an air compressor nipple on it where you can attach an air compressor and push about 20psi through it to pressurize. Then turn off the air compressor and see if you hear it hissing air from anywhere in the charge path towards the throttle body.

I'd appreciate keeping the logs to yourself until we are done tuning as we just started and encountered this and the issue with the BMS DP Fix v3 causing bank to bank AFR deviation which is now fixed as its been removed.
    Dzenno, I was having this same issue last sunday at the track with my cobb Stage 2+ FMIC aggressive, at the race track. However it only happened in the morning when it was very cold. By mid afternoon, its stopped throwing 30FF. My car has 100,000 miles, so I am definitely upgrading all the vaccum lines, as well as getting either forge dv's or an ETS charge pipe with BOV. My question is this: If I go with the charge pipe/bov option, won't the car still throw 30FF under race conditions (WOT 1-4), as excess boost is now vented into the athmosphere and not recirculated like in the case of DV's?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    I'm running COBB S2+ Sport custom PTF map and I'm getting P30FF code during WOT. The odd thing is it only happens above 6000 RPM on 3rd gear. Attached is the latest log.

I'm going to start with FMIC cleaning and reinstall.

What's next? Aftermarket chargepipe then solenoids?
    I had the same issue when I started tuning with Dzenno. We worked on it and bit by bit I got to the bottom of it. In my case it was the WG boost solenoids. A smoke test was the first thing I did. when that was negative I turned my attention to vacuum control.

I know it's annoying and frustrating but be patient. There is no ghosts here, you will solve this... After the custom tune, you would have ironed out any issues with the car, and with a new tune the car will be better than ever.

I just finished my tune last week. We actually did two tunes Click here to enlarge and I couldn't be happier.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno, I was having this same issue last sunday at the track with my cobb Stage 2+ FMIC aggressive, at the race track. However it only happened in the morning when it was very cold. By mid afternoon, its stopped throwing 30FF. My car has 100,000 miles, so I am definitely upgrading all the vaccum lines, as well as getting either forge dv's or an ETS charge pipe with BOV. My question is this: If I go with the charge pipe/bov option, won't the car still throw 30FF under race conditions (WOT 1-4), as excess boost is now vented into the athmosphere and not recirculated like in the case of DV's?
    Your DVs should no be no problem.

As I mentioned in the post above, I had P30FF under heavy load. First thing I did was a smoke test. After that I turned to vacuum control. I think you should do the same. Upgrading your Chargepipe is a good idea as well.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

@Turkeybaster115, @blisstik's issue has long been resolved since this post where we began custom tuning his car, it was related to his wg actuators which he had adjusted at the dealership under warranty. @marv85's advice is spot on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

@blisstik Didn't see the post date Click here to enlarge

@Turkeybaster115 advice applies to you hehe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

How hard is changing out the boost solenoids? Looking at it, it doesn't look very complicated. Any tips for a DIY?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    @Turkeybaster115 , @blisstik 's issue has long been resolved since this post where we began custom tuning his car, it was related to his wg actuators which he had adjusted at the dealership under warranty. @marv85 's advice is spot on.
    Dzenno, you didn't answer my question though, about charge pipe/bov combination, possibly triggering 30FF under WOT at the race track

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

From the log, looks like the front WG... difficult to adjust. OP, can you give us the details about the dealer visit? Did you have rattle?

BTW: that mapping is aggressive in load target! would love to see an "optimized" log.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    that mapping is aggressive in load target! would love to see an "optimized" log.
    LOL you sure would wouldn't ya Click here to enlarge what does "aggressive in load target" really mean to you @JoshBoody?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

LOL you sure would wouldn't ya Click here to enlarge what does "aggressive in load target" really mean to you @JoshBoody ?
    dzenno?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeel Click here to enlarge
    How hard is changing out the boost solenoids? Looking at it, it doesn't look very complicated. Any tips for a DIY?
    I watched @cwarren change them for me. There is two bolts on each solenoid, one is north and the other is south (you can see it, you'll have to feel where it is).
    Remove power connector, unbolt, then carefully remove vacuum hoses with the help of a screwdriver. Reverse the process with teh new WG solenoids. Moving away the Vacuum canisters makes it easier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    dzenno?
    Sorry, that was just a comment to the always "insightful" and "helpful" @JoshBoody Click here to enlarge

If you'd like I can have a look at a few logs for you any time. Feel free to email me any time or post a log up here and we can go through it. Are you running the OTS 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 maps from Cobb?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

LOL you sure would wouldn't ya Click here to enlarge what does "aggressive in load target" really mean to you @JoshBoody ?
    RPM Pedal Load Req Act Load Req MAP Act MAP
    6468 99 180.2 145.6 31.02 25.71
    Taken from the log... is this "within the efficiency range" of the turbos? This is a tag line that was/is used a lot by PTF... just asking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

RPM Pedal Load Req Act Load Req MAP Act MAP
    6468 99 180.2 145.6 31.02 25.71
    Taken from the log... is this "within the efficiency range" of the turbos? This is a tag line that was used a lot by PTF... just asking.
    We have no tag lines other than the ones you're claiming we have. On the other hand you obviously have some issues commenting in every thread related to us. Are you bored, looking for entertainment today?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

We have no tag lines other than the ones you're claiming we have. On the other hand you obviously have some issues commenting in every thread related to us. Are you bored, looking for entertainment today?
    would love to see one of the OP's "optimized" logs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

would love to see one of the OP's "optimized" logs
    LOL i can tell you right now that load target didn't change by much at all...anything else you'd like to know?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

thanks marv!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

LOL i can tell you right now that load target didn't change by much at all...anything else you'd like to know?
    that's fine depending on the fueling, hardware, instructions by the customer, etc. But for a supposed initial test map... very aggressive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

that's fine depending on the fueling, hardware, instructions by the customer, etc. But for a supposed initial test map... very aggressive.
    It actually wasn't the initial test map but it was in the beginning. In fact Click here to enlarge just looking back we've gone through 38 map iterations of various sorts for different levels of octane, throttle mapping, etc along with helping him troubleshoot boost, clutch issues that he had in the beginning all the while trying to do the best the car can do given the fairly worn state of the stock turbos on the car. We started with the first map revision on Aug 9th and finished Oct. 14th when the last map was created, covering also various sorts of weather and going through logs when OP had time to send some over our way. In other words tons of work for a bargain. Try that with another pro tuner shop for 1/3rd of their usual cost and they'll just look at you really weird and ask you to leave Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Being one of Dzenno's customers, I can attest to what he is saying. I'd be hard pressed to find any pro-tuner out there with with his level of commitment and enthusiasm.
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Being one of Dzenno's customers, I can attest to what he is saying. I'd be hard pressed to find any pro-tuner out there with with his level of commitment and enthusiasm.
    @nitehawk, thanks for your support!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    I definitely second that. and I'm sure a lot more would agree. right @VNeBLOB42 ? Click here to enlarge

The amount of time he spends optimizing the maps is something you cannot get with any other pro tuner.

I was counting the runs for @cwarren the other day. I think we did ~30 revisions -> ~90 pulls hehe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Thanks @marv85. In your case we were on meth first, then we moved to ethanol and then we went to meth+eth Click here to enlarge good times, nice working with you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast