Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    lol, the M3 with just exhaust has to be the most fun car ive owned, only rival was the lightning. That was quickly defeated by boost on the M.

335 was fun for me because it was gorgeous, E92 vs my old E46. had all the cool new stuff. never had turbo's before, ect. BMS/JB4,plus RB turbos, ect was all a great experience because of the oppurtunities that came my way. Every day i could do a little more, or tweak this and that, try x or y..

It was a great car, and much easier on the wallet, in every aspect. but, from a pure enjoyment aspect, the M reigns supreme.. now that boost is invlolved, even low boost I am SOOO eager to see how it stacks up against some powerful N54's.. well, against everyone really Click here to enlarge
    exact reason i got the 335i. always wanted to experience a turbocharged car. i have to admit, the 335i is a very reasonable car to maintain and makes the decision that much harder.

now i want to experience a blown v8. just raw power and response. i will get the opportunity to ride in a blown GT so i will get an idea if i like it. also have to check on the insurance rates for both cars to have a better understanding what i will be getting into financially given i'm only 26 and took one car swimming in 2007. haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    insurance wasnt too bad for me, maybe 10/month increase, but performance $ skyrocketed. Also, not sure how much driving youdo, but because the car is high revving, and intoxicating, mpg is horrible to begin with and will cost you a considerable bit more per week. my normal commute caused me to fill up an additional time per week, FYI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What you need is the 4.10 diff with this... it's almost comical how it pulls. I'm actually pretty surprised that I can still use it with the 625 kit, but I also run 315's (track tires) in the rear. I'm screwed from a dig, but from a roll I basically kill most cars out there.
    991 C2S | Fabspeed Sport Headers with 200 Cell High Flow Cats | Sharkwerks Free Flow Exhaust | FVD Brombacher Muffler Bypass X-Pipe | KW H.A.S. | BBS CH-R's Matte Titanium | RSS Spacers (7mm) | Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    way too high gearing for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Team Plutonium Click here to enlarge
    What you need is the 4.10 diff with this... it's almost comical how it pulls. I'm actually pretty surprised that I can still use it with the 625 kit, but I also run 315's (track tires) in the rear. I'm screwed from a dig, but from a roll I basically kill most cars out there.
    Would be way too short for the DCT.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    [COLOR=[URL=http://www.bimmerboost.com/misc.php?do=dbtech_usertag_hash&hash=222222%5D%5BF ONT%3DTimes%5D%5BQUOTE%3DLostMarine]#222222]
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine[/URL
    316284]way too high gearing for me.
    And by too high you mean too short... right.
    [/COLOR]

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Would be way too short for the DCT.
    4.10 is for the 6MT only, DCT has the 3.45 and it works great.
    991 C2S | Fabspeed Sport Headers with 200 Cell High Flow Cats | Sharkwerks Free Flow Exhaust | FVD Brombacher Muffler Bypass X-Pipe | KW H.A.S. | BBS CH-R's Matte Titanium | RSS Spacers (7mm) | Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    4.10 is for the 6MT only, DCT has the 3.45 and it works great.
    You can do 3.62 as well. I don't recommend going shorter on the DCT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can do 3.62 as well. I don't recommend going shorter on the DCT.
    Yeah, certainly not with a blower...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, certainly not with a blower...
    I didn't even like them NA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It seems I made a mistake in measuring the stock pulley. its actually 103mm still interesting that its 5.5+psi

Stock:
    Click here to enlarge
    Upgraded:
    Click here to enlarge
    Not sure what boost is right now as the install is in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very interesting! Will that 1mm difference make substantial difference on your recorded boost?

Excuse my ignorance, but can the tune effect boost levels as well or is it solely mechanically determined based off the pulley?
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Excuse my ignorance, but can the tune effect boost levels as well or is it solely mechanically determined based off the pulley?
    It's mechanical.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's mechanical.
    Thanks. That was my understanding as well.

Then it makes me wonder why there is such variance in boost levels for all these VT1-535 kits. I think they were once advertised at 4.5psi, now it's 5psi. LostMarine is seeing 5.5psi. I think I've seen others that apparently have standard pulleys that are making more or less boost as well.
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Then it makes me wonder why there is such variance in boost levels for all these VT1-535 kits. I think they were once advertised at 4.5psi, now it's 5psi. LostMarine is seeing 5.5psi. I think I've seen others that apparently have standard pulleys that are making more or less boost as well.
    It just goes to show how much boost varies for these kits and there are a lot of different pulleys out there. You can't go by what is advertised as anything more than a general guide. Boost will also change based on mods.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It seems I made a mistake in measuring the stock pulley. its actually 103mm still interesting that its 5.5+psi

Stock:
    Click here to enlarge
    Upgraded:
    Click here to enlarge
    Not sure what boost is right now as the install is in progress
    that is odd, my stock pulley is also 103mm and upgraded pulley is 99mm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chris3g Click here to enlarge
    that is odd, my stock pulley is also 103mm and upgraded pulley is 99mm.
    and what boost are you seeing? I believe the 99mm pully is for the vt2600 kit, where as this is for the 575 kit.

I did not have a chance to try it out yet though. if i go out tonight or tomorrow ill will.

Another way to do it is to change the crank pulley (IIRC) and the blower pulley. different ratios will deliver different results.

I will say this though, im not sure if its the new belt or the new pulley, but the car feels much more responsive at lower rpms. it used to lag before, not much, but you could feel it, almost like slippage, but too low in the rpms to be slippage, i think.. either way, the car is performing much smoother.

Not sure if i stated it before, but no retune was required, per ESS, to run this pulley. Il have some real data when i get a chance

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure if i stated it before, but no retune was required, per ESS, to run this pulley. Il have some real data when i get a chance
    You don't need a new tune as the targets are set anyway but it could be optimized further. This is why centri's are fairly easy to tune for, boost per set rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is a great thread LM. Congrats on the new found power. It's interesting to me that you have two pulleys that are 1mm off from one another. I would expect at least a 2-3mm jump. Get back to us with how much boost your car is making with the 102mm pulley.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    This is a great thread LM. Congrats on the new found power. It's interesting to me that you have two pulleys that are 1mm off from one another. I would expect at least a 2-3mm jump. Get back to us with how much boost your car is making with the 102mm pulley.
    After going through some other info, i believe this is supposed to net me .5 psi. This pulley is not a vortech pulley, its custom, which I believe is why its not black. Vortech lists all their pulley sizes on the website and its about 1 psi more for every downgrade in size. Ill put the gopro on the boost guage to check, as i wont be able to get on a dyno for a little while. at least not until the cmgs is installed to controll the meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    LM, 1mm will yield you 0.2psi. Do you will go from 5.5 to 5.7.

The reason for the variance in boost is as I have always said, it's actually not an exact science. Each car is different, especially with different mods. Some cars make more boost with bigger pulleys than others.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M&M Click here to enlarge
    LM, 1mm will yield you 0.2psi. Do you will go from 5.5 to 5.7.

The reason for the variance in boost is as I have always said, it's actually not an exact science. Each car is different, especially with different mods. Some cars make more boost with bigger pulleys than others.
    think so? LOL,thats not much of an upgrade.. I was "told" this is the pulley for a 575 kit, so we shall see..

I dont expect pinpoint accuracy, but at least within .5 psi should be expected

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I suppose it's possible it will gain .5psi at sea-level. Most of my data is at altitude.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M&M Click here to enlarge
    Yeah I suppose it's possible it will gain .5psi at sea-level. Most of my data is at altitude.
    hope so. but i cant complain, didnt cost me nothing, other than install, gas and tolls Click here to enlarge

I saw your back and forth over there, interesting stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I saw your back and forth over there, interesting stuff
    Huh, what you talking 'bout Willis?

EDIT, ok I see what you meant Willis. M3Post? Yeah that's like a 3 year old post resurrected.
    Last edited by M&M; 09-01-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    and what boost are you seeing? I believe the 99mm pully is for the vt2600 kit, where as this is for the 575 kit.

I did not have a chance to try it out yet though. if i go out tonight or tomorrow ill will.

Another way to do it is to change the crank pulley (IIRC) and the blower pulley. different ratios will deliver different results.

I will say this though, im not sure if its the new belt or the new pulley, but the car feels much more responsive at lower rpms. it used to lag before, not much, but you could feel it, almost like slippage, but too low in the rpms to be slippage, i think.. either way, the car is performing much smoother.

I need to get a gauge, is boost readable from obdii or do I need to install a sensor?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast