Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Drag racing Noob -- Another S2+ time slip

Hey guys,

I went to the drag last Saturday. It was my first time drag racing so excuse my noobness Click here to enlarge

I thought i'll post my time slip (for the best run) to get tips from the experts. My best run was 12.94 @ 112.4 mph

Some info:
    1) Weather was hot @ 90F
    2) inside of my rear tires are pretty worn
    3) I loaded by mistake an old S2+ agg map, and had huge WG DC oscillation (car felt normal and very powerful though)
    4) Need to work on my launch (MT). My best run the revs dropped and picked up from a ~1200 onwards. You can even see it in the video (that was a 13.1 run)
    5) I do shift very fast and the car bogs on 2nd->3rd (@6500), and 3rd to 4th(@6200) Click here to enlarge any solution to that??

any advices based on time slip?

Click here to enlarge

SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, I've been drag racing this car for a year or so and my times haven't gotten alot better from when I started, no matter how much HP I add. From what I do know though, you need to improve your 60' times. That 2.1 is killing your ET. Your trap isn't too bad, I was trapping 113 this spring at around 400HP which is close to where you should be with S2+ on street tires. What size wheels and how heavy are they? The biggest advice I get is to get lighter wheels and drag radials. A WOT Box will also shave off some .10 by giving you the 2step rev limiter and NLS. I only have an 1/8mi track near me but I go a couple times a month. My launches are getting pretty good so I can't wait to hit a 1/4mi and see if I've improved my 1/4mi time at all.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lulz_m3 has a thread on here where he was severely disappointed in his performance at the 1/4mi also. He's cobb pro-tune with e85 and meth. His best time was 13.062 @ 114.95 with a 2.3 60'. 60' are crucial to good ET, not so much on the trap though.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys need to short shift into 2nd gear then get on it hard. Voila better ET and trap speeds for street tires.

This is what @Laloosh did to achieve his fantastic trap speeds on street tires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Huh, I'll have to try that. Thanks myst. 1st gear is SO short. What RPM are you calling a short shift? I already try to shift around 6200.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get out of 1st gear as fast as possible. Just use it to get the car off the line. 1st gear is your worst enemy including its 1-2 shift..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the reply guys.

@bigdnno98, I know my ET sucks. It's a very fine line between bogging at launch and burning through first. I tried going more aggressive and ended up burning through first, and second. On second my rear end was going left and right till the car caught up to the tire speed. not fun Click here to enlarge I'll try taking some air out next time. May be that would give me some traction back.

@themyst @dzenno what is early in first gear? I mean actually go past 6500 on that one. 1-2 shift is surprisingly good. Not missed once even though I shift really fast. I'm using the D4 ATF. I found it to be a lot better than Royal purple...

About shift bog. Do I just shift slower? it's killing me on 2-3, 3-4 shifts.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    60 foot is killing you.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    60 foot is killing you.
    Yup, I'm going to try easing up on the clutch next time. I have 0 mm of thread left on the inside of my rear tires as well. I'm contemplating buying two new rear tires. Nitto's are great but I want to see whether there is a better option for a comparable price.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My next rear tires are going to be Nitto NT555R or NT01/NT05.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guys, please pick up the wotbox if you're going to be going all out drag racing and going for numbers. You're killing your clutch without it, can't control the launch and dial it in for best traction without it and with NLS in place you'll be going through those shifts like they don't exist (down to 50-70ms per shift especially higher gears).

Drag racing without some form of NLS/2-step becomes very expensive and takes a ton of practice. If you have it on the JB4 get it dialed in and working, otherwise go wotbox. I really wish Cobb also comes out with it so its there out of the box but its on their todo list and i guess everything has priorities.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have it on my G5 board but it is still in Alpha testing and needs alot of work. I was thinking about just buying the WOTbox because I'm not sure how long it's gonna take to get my current one working. Once T gets the BMS one ironed out I could sell the WOTBox. IDK...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I have it on my G5 board but it is still in Alpha testing and needs alot of work. I was thinking about just buying the WOTbox because I'm not sure how long it's gonna take to get my current one working. Once T gets the BMS one ironed out I could sell the WOTBox. IDK...
    wotbox's wiring isn't as pretty as the JB4, its not plug/n/play...you'll need a few positaps to make it clean..don't just cut in and splice in like i did Click here to enlarge i didn't care, car is mine, not returning it from a lease and it'll probably stick with me for a long while so splicing some wires didn't really matter much
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what scares me. Installing a JB4 and FSB/Meth is about the extend of my mechanical skills. That's why I'm trying out the BMS one. WOTBox is a little intimidating to me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Guys, please pick up the wotbox if you're going to be going all out drag racing and going for numbers. You're killing your clutch without it, can't control the launch and dial it in for best traction without it and with NLS in place you'll be going through those shifts like they don't exist (down to 50-70ms per shift especially higher gears).

Drag racing without some form of NLS/2-step becomes very expensive and takes a ton of practice. If you have it on the JB4 get it dialed in and working, otherwise go wotbox. I really wish Cobb also comes out with it so its there out of the box but its on their todo list and i guess everything has priorities.

Dzenno, I'm curious into why the WOTbox will ease up on the clutch on launch vs no WOTbox. I believe on shifts it's because it cuts ignition down, but don't understand the launch part.

Having NLS and 2step with COBB would be amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What's the mods of the other car? Any logs on the runs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    What's the mods of the other car? Any logs on the runs?
    I had my AP but kept forgetting to log Click here to enlarge I was just too focused on the drag. Next time for sure. I only found out about teh huge oscillation after the runs... they are gone with 4.02 though.

the other car has DCIs, meth, and 50% E85 with 15 ohm JB4.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    impressive, you beat a 15ohm JB4 with meth and e85. not bad with cobb. You should feel a pretty huge difference with meth and a pro-tune. I was running cobb s2+ FBO and the car is much faster now with meth and e85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ps: the bog is also costing you some trap speed. Been there, done that.

Although I have heard those who NLS also bog so I'm not sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    post track and time so we can get DA data for dragtimes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    post track and time so we can get DA data for dragtimes
    again excuse the noobness, where do I get that info? I was at Portland International raceway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    impressive, you beat a 15ohm JB4 with meth and e85. not bad with cobb. You should feel a pretty huge difference with meth and a pro-tune. I was running cobb s2+ FBO and the car is much faster now with meth and e85.
    In his defense, that wasn't his fastest run that night. his fastest was 12.96. I'm slightly faster, but his traps were always slightly higher which makes sense since he is making more power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    again excuse the noobness, where do I get that info? I was at Portland International raceway.
    its posted on your slip, right where your fingers are covering

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    its posted on your slip, right where your fingers are covering
    haha, OK i'll post that when I get home afterwork

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno, I'm curious into why the WOTbox will ease up on the clutch on launch vs no WOTbox. I believe on shifts it's because it cuts ignition down, but don't understand the launch part.

Having NLS and 2step with COBB would be amazing.
    I've asked the WOTBox guys a while ago when I just got it to consider making a PNP harness for it but as my car was a test car at the time they really didn't see a big point as they didn't have a high demand. I'm pretty sure a PNP harness could be easily built for it though provided you can find some of those connectors that terry and shiv use for the jb or procede.

In terms of the clutch, nothing really saves the clutch at launch. However, it gives you the ability to always launch in a controlled manner at the same RPM without feathering the throttle and only concentrating on letting off the clutch and the speed you do it at to minimize your 60 foot time.

EDIT: To add to that....Once I get a chance to actually drive my car again I'll be playing around with the throttle mapping tables and torque requests given pedal position. This "should" in theory help dial in launches really nicely as to not have a sensitive stock throttle mapping pedal to it unless you actually go pedal-to-the-metal. JB for instance has boost reduction in 1st and 2nd gear, procede has traction control through CPS. I don't in particular like either of those two methods as I want full torque available in ALL gears and take care of solving traction issues with tires AND my right foot. Taking out power from the car is obviously not the greatest thing when you're going for all out numbers BUT it is a workaround that gets you by when you have no other way of dealing with it or fixing it. I'm not saying changing the throttle mapping tables will be the end all be all solution either. Just another thing to try get the most out of the car at the strip and on paper it has potential given you can calibrate your foot to it too Click here to enlarge Throttle mappings are one of the most neglected parameters in tuning this car actually and they can mean SO much in terms of how the car's power is delivered to the ground, in all kinds of driving situations, street, road course or drag strip.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 08-07-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast