Close

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stosh1 Click here to enlarge
    Thank you sir!

All in good time, but hopefully very soon. We're actually doing some more tuning on the current combo. before swapping over to the new head...not that there was any lack of power down low before, but we're concentrating on trying to build even more torque at an even lower rpm because this is primarily a street driven car. Had this been for a track application, we would have taken a different tack. Once this round of tuning is completed, and indy dyno's are conducted, we'll proceed w/the swap...should help to push the platform to the next level. Very, very excited!Click here to enlarge
    Super stoked to hear an update! Hopefully we can catch up this week...LOL...I've been terrible with taking time to call up some good friends Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thank you sir!

All in good time, but hopefully very soon. We're actually doing some more tuning on the current combo. before swapping over to the new head...not that there was any lack of power down low before, but we're concentrating on trying to build even more torque at an even lower rpm because this is primarily a street driven car. Had this been for a track application, we would have taken a different tack. Once this round of tuning is completed, and indy dyno's are conducted, we'll proceed w/the swap...should help to push the platform to the next level. Very, very excited!Click here to enlarge
    Sweet! I've been waiting to see this updated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Super stoked to hear an update! Hopefully we can catch up this week...LOL...I've been terrible with taking time to call up some good friends Click here to enlarge
    Yes, yes, we have some catching up to do!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KhanArt Click here to enlarge
    Sweet! I've been waiting to see this updated.
    Yep, thanx Z, looking forward to updates from everyone! Hopefully, now that some personal stuff is out of the way, we can keep things moving forward.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes, yes, we have some catching up to do!

Yep, thanx Z, looking forward to updates from everyone! Hopefully, now that some personal stuff is out of the way, we can keep things moving forward.Click here to enlarge
    Good timing Stan. Just scheduled some dyno time myself. It is time for a new embarrassing baseline at 6,000 ft before my budget head gets bolted on.

Thanks for all your help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    Good timing Stan. Just scheduled some dyno time myself. It is time for a new embarrassing baseline at 6,000 ft before my budget head gets bolted on.

Thanks for all your help.
    Good to see you making progress again Mike, and I'm sure that your baseline dyno's will be anything but embarrassing. Happy to help anyway I can...us rednecks gotta' stick together.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Good to see you making progress again Mike, and I'm sure that your baseline dyno's will be anything but embarrassing. Happy to help anyway I can...us rednecks gotta' stick together.Click here to enlarge
    I can only claim half breed status genetically. But I've known my way around pick'n'pulls and like you have been turning wrenches on cars long before I could legally drive thanks to my pops. Duck hunter, fishing junky and former copenhagen snuff abuser takes me into the full blown redneck category - regardless of the other half of the genes.

Car feels like it has more cubes with this calibration. Definitely feels torquier sub 6,000 rpms. Hardware is identical to my last runs in early 2013 pre-VAC throttles. The only changes are the calibrations and a slightly better snorkel feed courtesy of Active. Now lets see if the 248x dynojet confirms it.
    @Mike@VAC should be receiving the throttles for repair this week. we will do a proper pre and post dyno for the VAC ITBs. Same tank of gas, same dyno, same calibration and then a tweak or two. Can't thank him enough for stepping up to take care of the big bore ITBs.

This will give me a chance to bolt up the ported head and 288/280 cams a bit sooner and prepare for the next steps...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

OMG - that's glorious. Hit me up if you are ever letting this car go - and yes, I am serious. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    I can only claim half breed status genetically. But I've known my way around pick'n'pulls and like you have been turning wrenches on cars long before I could legally drive thanks to my pops. Duck hunter, fishing junky and former copenhagen snuff abuser takes me into the full blown redneck category - regardless of the other half of the genes.

Car feels like it has more cubes with this calibration. Definitely feels torquier sub 6,000 rpms. Hardware is identical to my last runs in early 2013 pre-VAC throttles. The only changes are the calibrations and a slightly better snorkel feed courtesy of Active. Now lets see if the 248x dynojet confirms it.
    @Mike@VAC should be receiving the throttles for repair this week. we will do a proper pre and post dyno for the VAC ITBs. Same tank of gas, same dyno, same calibration and then a tweak or two. Can't thank him enough for stepping up to take care of the big bore ITBs.

This will give me a chance to bolt up the ported head and 288/280 cams a bit sooner and prepare for the next steps...
    Lol my half breed brother. Glad to hear that VAC is doing right by you, & stepping up and taking care of the situation w/the ITB's. Looking forward to your new baseline dyno's, hopefully some good data comes out of it buddy. Maybe we'll both end up swapping heads at the same time, and we can compare notes as we go...should be good times this year!Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    OMG - that's glorious. Hit me up if you are ever letting this car go - and yes, I am serious. Click here to enlarge
    Not sure if this was directed at me or not, but thank you sir if it was...and I'll keep you in mind if that day ever comes.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

any updates on this?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    any updates on this?
    Hey guys, sorry for the long hiatus, but personal sh!t and "funding"delaysClick here to enlarge put a temporary kibosh on the project. It's back underway again (working in conjunction w/TTFS of course), and I'm scheduled to FINALLY get the CSL tune conversion done this week...then it's back under the knife (hopefully next week) for the install of the new head/exhaust combo!

Yes, we're updating to the newer/current "CSL tune" before tearing it back down again-lol. Hopefully, I'll be posting pics from the process in the next couple of weeks...w/updated dyno's to follow!Click here to enlarge I hate making final number predictions, and I hope that I'm not jinxing myself, but I'm expecting to be somewhere in the 375-385ish WHP range (on gas) if all goes as planned. Again, the gains may sound meager, but at this power level & for still being on a stock bottom end...any further increases in power become extremely harder to come by! We're essentially squeezing water from a stone at this point...and we kinda know it-lol. Once final tuning is completed on regular petrol, we will probably switch over to corn fuel to see if we can coax a few more ponies out of her...and that (I think) will satisfy my quest for max NA power on a stock bottom end.

The next iteration of the this saga will involve more cubic inches, compression, and the use of lighter weight internals! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

The next iteration of the this saga will involve more cubic inches, compression, and the use of lighter weight internals!
    Can't tell you how cool it is to see someone push the NA envelope...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yeah. There are a few of us who have done it or in the process of doing it.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

can't wait to see corn numbers, absolutely crazy build Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanx Sticky! Yeah, I think so too...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Yeah. There are a few of us who have done it or in the process of doing it.
    When's your coming together Ejaz?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    can't wait to see corn numbers, absolutely crazy build Click here to enlarge
    Thanx man! Me too!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

When's your coming together Ejaz?
    I've already built a ESS CSL engine for a customer a while ago.

Mine, i'll address the cams and head in winter as its just too hot right now and it ruins your mood working in this heat LOL.

My car is low mileage at 65k km's so I dont plan on stroking it till I come to the car with the States for a visit. Already discussed it with Frank at TTFS.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    I've already built a ESS CSL engine for a customer a while ago.

Mine, i'll address the cams and head in winter as its just too hot right now and it ruins your mood working in this heat LOL.

My car is low mileage at 65k km's so I dont plan on stroking it till I come to the car with the States for a visit. Already discussed it with Frank at TTFS.
    Haha, I hear ya, and I don't blame ya! Your winter is probably like my summer-lol I'll be looking forward to your build when it happens then...stay kool!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Haha, I hear ya, and I don't blame ya! Your winter is probably like my summer-lol I'll be looking forward to your build when it happens then...stay kool!Click here to enlarge
    hahaha Yeah winters here are just beautiful but summers are brutal with up to 125f and humid plus sometimes you get those hot winds.....

I would rather enjoy the build in winter than suffer trying to get it done miserably in summer. Some good news, Central AC system being installed in the shop soon so things should change big time from there....

Cant wait to see what you and TTFS get up to as I might need to send my head over to you guys...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Hey guys, quick UPDATE​ : So we performed the CSL conversion (added a TTFS MAP sensor), & Frank loaded up his CSL/SMG software tune...and after just a few minor tweaks to the base tune map, I now have a new baseline tune before the tear down begins. I'll post the graph up tomorrow, but the graph doesn't show the entire picture anyway of how this CSL conversion/tune has once again transformed the car! The tune was pretty spot on before (even though it's about 2 yrs old now), but the difference in low speed driveability and smoothness is simply amazing, and it just feels like it has more power everywhere!!! The new engine tune combined w/the SMG tune (which should have come this way from the factory btw) has made this car even beastlier (if that's even a word-lol)! Shift times feel like they have been cut in half, & it bangs the gears even harder now between the shifts! It's like night & day-literally!

So, I'm guessin you wanna know if there's any increase in max power? Well, the new graph is a little deceptive because we stopped the pull @ 8,150, but the motor was still making power! I'm guessing that had we continued the pull to 8,500 or so, we probably would've seen somewhere between 365-370HP! So, I can't say for sure if it's making anymore power up top, but I can tell you that the car rips even harder now from idle to redline (which we're keeping @ 8,200...for now). I'll post the graph up tomorrow-enjoy for now!
    Last edited by stosh1; 07-24-2015 at 12:12 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I'll post the graph up tomorrow, but the graph doesn't show the entire picture anyway of how this CSL conversion/tune has once again transformed the car!
    Why not?

Well, the new graph is a little deceptive because we stopped the pull @ 8,150, but the motor was still making power! I'm guessing that had we continued the pull to 8,500 or so, we probably would've seen somewhere between 365-370HP! So, I can't say for sure if it's making anymore power up top, but I can tell you that the car rips even harder now from idle to redline (which we're keeping @ 8,200...for now). I'll post the graph up tomorrow-enjoy for now!
    Why didn't you go to 8500?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Why not?

Why didn't you go to 8500?
    Hey Sticky, to further explain...I haven't bothered overlaying my original dyno w/this new one, but the butt dyno is telling me that it's making more power (down low especially). Also, some things (like throttle response & driveability) don't show up on a dyno graph, & the motor just feels that much "crisper" driving around town now! Another thing that bears keeping in mind is that this testing was performed a couple of yrs later on Frank's new Dynocom dyno & the temps were probably close to 90* in the dyno cell during these pulls...so even overlaying the graphs (the numbers) may not be 100% relevant.

For a couple of reasons! One, the motor has already seen more dyno passes over 8,500 than I really care to think about...so some of this was about self-preservation-lol. The other reason is that some in the past were critical of us spinning the motor that high just to make a "number"...but, that was kind of the point of this whole project...to take everything next level. Once I post the graph up, I'll let everyone extrapolate the peak numbers for themselves. Plus, I'm hoping that the new combo breathes even better, & then maybe I'll let it spin up that high again for one or two "hero" passes!Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by stosh1; 07-24-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Hey Sticky, to further explain...I haven't bothered overlaying my original dyno w/this new one, but the butt dyno is telling me that it's making more power (down low especially). Also, some things (like throttle response & driveability) don't show up on a dyno graph, & the motor just feels that much "crisper" driving around town now! Another thing that bears keeping in mind is that this testing was performed a couple of yrs later on Frank's new Dynocom dyno & the temps were probably close to 90* in the dyno cell during these pulls...so even overlaying the graphs (the numbers) may not be 100% relevant.
    I strongly agree but I still want to see the overlay.

For a couple of reasons! One, the motor has already seen more dyno passes over 8,500 than I really care to think about...so some of this was about self-preservation-lol. The other reason is that some in the past were critical of us spinning the motor that high just to make a "number"...but, that was kind of the point of this whole project...to take everything next level. Once I post the graph up, I'll let everyone extrapolate the peak numbers for themselves. Plus, I'm hoping that the new combo breathes even better, & then maybe I'll let it spin up that high again for one or two "hero" passes!
    I understand. There's a few things you can do to give yourself peace of mind buy 8200 is a lot of rpm regardless.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I strongly agree but I still want to see the overlay.
    Ok, still waiting on the graph from Frank! I'll post it as soon as I have it...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Ok, still waiting on the graph from Frank! I'll post it as soon as I have it...
    Thanks.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast