Close

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stosh1 Click here to enlarge
    Probably more compression, more port work, & maybe different cams & exhaust???
    More compression will require different fuel...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Hmmm not bad at all for a 3.2l

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Probably more compression, more port work, & maybe different cams & exhaust???
    Gitrdone Stanley!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    More compression will require different fuel...
    Maybe, we're taking that into consideration, alternative fuel S54???

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Hmmm not bad at all for a 3.2l
    Thank you sir!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    Gitrdone Stanley!
    From one 'neck' to another. How's your project coming along buddy, haven't heard too much from you lately???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Maybe, we're taking that into consideration, alternative fuel S54???
    Interesting, do tell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

From one 'neck' to another. How's your project coming along buddy, haven't heard too much from you lately???
    Preparing to defend my M.S. thesis and Dad duties is proving to wipe what little I have of free time. Academia is quite a bit tougher this go round in my 30's.

I have a few updates on the car but it sees little time with all the snow we have. This winter I focused on getting it ready for the 2013 HPDE season. I rebuilt all 4 Rotora 4 piston calipers - added PFC direct drive rotors - swapped an OEM ZHP steering rack and picked up a set of square 18x9.5 et22 Arc-8's (Hankook RS-3's). I still need to do rear wheel bearings before she's in tip top shape.

The head is done. Should have a teeny bit more compression as it was shaved 0.004". Cams and followers are here. I am having trouble deciding whether to swap heads before the track season as the car feels well balanced as is. I may enjoy the head build more after some seat time on the track with the stock head/cams.

Can't wait to see your updates Stan!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Interesting, do tell.
    \

Ha, think we're going to wait until results are in first, then I'll think about letting the cat outta' the bag. I need to walk the walk first...if you know what I mean.

Preparing to defend my M.S. thesis and Dad duties is proving to wipe what little I have of free time. Academia is quite a bit tougher this go round in my 30's.

I have a few updates on the car but it sees little time with all the snow we have. This winter I focused on getting it ready for the 2013 HPDE season. I rebuilt all 4 Rotora 4 piston calipers - added PFC direct drive rotors - swapped an OEM ZHP steering rack and picked up a set of square 18x9.5 et22 Arc-8's (Hankook RS-3's). I still need to do rear wheel bearings before she's in tip top shape.

The head is done. Should have a teeny bit more compression as it was shaved 0.004". Cams and followers are here. I am having trouble deciding whether to swap heads before the track season as the car feels well balanced as is. I may enjoy the head build more after some seat time on the track with the stock head/cams.

Can't wait to see your updates Stan!
    Sounds like you've been busy brutha, don't forget to leave time for some fun!

I'm looking forward to seeing if you get similar results, or better, w/your beastie...

Yeah, we're a little behind schedule on the project, was hoping to have something for everyone by the end of this month, but it ain't happening. We're all just too busy w/too many projects! I'll keep ya'll posted!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Ha, think we're going to wait until results are in first, then I'll think about letting the cat outta' the bag. I need to walk the walk first...if you know what I mean.
    Any update?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would love this swapped into a e36 m3. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Any update?
    The cylinder head is still currently undergoing surgery, should have it back in another week or two, & I'll try to post some pics up when it gets here...this is pretty much a max effort S54 head w/custom oversize ferrea valves (specs will remain proprietary for now) & all the rest of the go-fast goodies. Should be easily capable of 8,500+ rpms, & supporting our HP goal(s) for this go-round!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

For your original build that this thread started with...what kind of cams were you running? 288/280 and 12.5mm lift?

I am planning an NA track build...shooting for 330whp/260wtq at 8k RPM with some overrev protection. Not sure if I plan to go with a Stage 2 or 3 head yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigjae1976 Click here to enlarge
    For your original build that this thread started with...what kind of cams were you running? 288/280 and 12.5mm lift?

I am planning an NA track build...shooting for 330whp/260wtq at 8k RPM with some overrev protection. Not sure if I plan to go with a Stage 2 or 3 head yet.
    Yup, std. lift cams...I believe that the high lift cams require eliminating VANOS.

What motor, and what mods are you considering, in order to reach those numbers???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

The cylinder head is still currently undergoing surgery, should have it back in another week or two, & I'll try to post some pics up when it gets here...this is pretty much a max effort S54 head w/custom oversize ferrea valves (specs will remain proprietary for now) & all the rest of the go-fast goodies. Should be easily capable of 8,500+ rpms, & supporting our HP goal(s) for this go-round!Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Here is the plan for 330hp/260tq.I would like to get to the power levels of my s/c'd 330 (340whp/300wtq). I know its a tad short but the M3 will be faster with shorter gearing and more revs. I would also like to add in some overrev protection and might do forged pistons and rods. I'm VERY open to pulling the redline down to 7500 depending on how the oil analysis goes at 8000 RPM.

Alpha N tune (might delete VANOS...)
    Electric fan and pulleys
    Setrab oil cooler (consistent power)
    SS stepped headers (replicas) or OEM Euro headers
    Bimmerworld exhaust
    VAC Stage II or Stage III head (prob stage II)
    288/280 cams
    Evolve or CSL rep airbox

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!
    Me too Alex, ready to shock some people!

Here is the plan for 330hp/260tq.I would like to get to the power levels of my s/c'd 330 (340whp/300wtq). I know its a tad short but the M3 will be faster with shorter gearing and more revs. I would also like to add in some overrev protection and might do forged pistons and rods. I'm VERY open to pulling the redline down to 7500 depending on how the oil analysis goes at 8000 RPM.

Electric fan and pulleys
    Bimmerworld exhaust
    288/280 cams
    Evolve or CSL rep airbox
    If this is an S54 motor, and as long as your maint. is up to date, and the motor is healthy...you don't need any of that stuff besides the exhaust and a solid tune! We've made almost 330WHP/260WTQ w/just a good set of headers, free flow exhaust (NOT BW 3.5"), and a very solid custom tune. This was w/a MAF equipped, factory airbox car as well...I don't recommend going Alpha-N until you've done everything else.

FWIW, I don't think that you will be able to break 280WTQ w/o going to a stroker motor...but I'll know for sure in a few weeks!

With the mods you have listed, the motor would be easily capable of 350WHP +, but again, would be unnecessary for your power goals! BTW, VAC's Stg II (about $2,250 last time I checked) is pretty much just a blueprinted cylinder head w/a valve job. (Not knocking them, as I'm sure that it's a great product, but there are more economical ways to achieve similar performance.) Just for comparison, I spent about $1.2k on my cylinder head (including port work), & made 360HP +.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Electric fan and pulleys
    Bimmerworld exhaust
    288/280 cams
    Evolve or CSL rep airbox
    That's a very pessimistic goal for that setup I would think. You can probably get close enough with just a tune, pulleys, headers and exhaust.

With cams and a stage 2 VAC head - WITH all you mentioned above? No problem hitting this number - your 330 won't even be close. Click here to enlarge

There are videos out there of VAC dynos - check it out. If you aren't stroking it, I wouldn't worry about revs with that motor. I am keeping my eye open for an S54 engine - I would love to build a car with it.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Me too Alex, ready to shock some people!

If this is an S54 motor, and as long as your maint. is up to date, and the motor is healthy...you don't need any of that stuff besides the exhaust and a solid tune! We've made almost 330WHP/260WTQ w/just a good set of headers, free flow exhaust (NOT BW 3.5"), and a very solid custom tune. This was w/a MAF equipped, factory airbox car as well...I don't recommend going Alpha-N until you've done everything else.

FWIW, I don't think that you will be able to break 280WTQ w/o going to a stroker motor...but I'll know for sure in a few weeks!

With the mods you have listed, the motor would be easily capable of 350WHP +, but again, would be unnecessary for your power goals! BTW, VAC's Stg II (about $2,250 last time I checked) is pretty much just a blueprinted cylinder head w/a valve job. (Not knocking them, as I'm sure that it's a great product, but there are more economical ways to achieve similar performance.) Just for comparison, I spent about $1.2k on my cylinder head (including port work), & made 360HP +.
    Lol - I was typing the post below yours. That's awesome

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

BTW, VAC's Stg II (about $2,250 last time I checked) is pretty much just a blueprinted cylinder head w/a valve job. (Not knocking them, as I'm sure that it's a great product, but there are more economical ways to achieve similar performance.) Just for comparison, I spent about $1.2k on my cylinder head (including port work), & made 360HP +.
    It's a bit more than that ;-) I actually think our Stage 2 is a good value. A good bit of skilled labor goes into them and we use awesome springs made by Eibach - no junk here.

• Complete Disassembly & Cleaning
    • Comprehensive Leak, Crack & Pressure Test
    • Inspect All Components For Irregular Wear
    • Our Superior Max Performance Multi-angle Intake, Radius Exhaust Valve Job Using Serdi Equipment
    • Unshrouding of Valves
    • Attention to Potential Hot-spot Areas and Chamfering
    • All New VAC Uprated Valve Guides
    • Reconditioning & Blueprinting of Your Valves
    • Trueness Checked & Resurfaced Mating Surface
    • VAC High Performance Valve Springs, Balanced
    • VAC Performance Steel Alloy Retainers (Ti On Request)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I am waiting to hear back from Evolve...but it seems cheaper to just start with Alpha-N and retune in stages until I'm happy. I'm not a power freak and this is a track car. So I need to maintain around a 9.0:1 weight to power ratio so I can do NASA TT3. I'm really looking at more area under the curve. So its not all about the peak number. I've got to run up against vette's, vipers, and other high HP stuff. I own them in the corners. But I'm really looking at one really fast track, Texas World Speedway, where I'll need the power so they don't get too far away on the straights. Then I'll own them in the corners.

I do want to do the head for the overrev protection but the cams and CSL airbox are totally optional. Honestly, I only want to do the airbox for that sexy induction sound! What I really want to know is if all of the port work, CSL box and cams really help with how quickly the engine will rev? How much does the improved flow help to improve how lively the engine feels?

I know if I get to do everything in my list I'll probably have to detune it. That's fine with me...I can use it for events outside of time trials.

But back on topic...awesome thread!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Hey Stan,

Good information. And quite consistent with the advice you gave me a few months back.

I would have to reiterate what Stan said regarding the head. I spent $2,000 and replaced every valvetrain component with Supertech components made for 9,000+ rpm. Intake ports were not touched, merely polished. The exhaust ports had minor port work and were polished. The machine shop said the gains were predominantly made in the valve-job and the valvetrain components.

The actual machine and port-work was $1100 and the parts were $900. @normcaldwell and I checked out the head after the port work was done and right before the valvejob. Throw a few of the pictures up if you can Norm!

I do have a small update on my budget build. Preliminary flowbench numbers were made available last week from the shop and I am excited to bolt it on with the 288/280 schrick's as well.

Stock #'s. No flow past .400" lift with the dual-valve opening tool used. We had to borrow a couple exhaust valves from Stan to complete it properly - as our head had 12 bent exhaust valves. Thanks Stan!

Intake lift (CFM)

.100 98
    .200 142
    .300 235
    .400 253

Exhaust lift

.100 73
    .200 145
    .300 154
    .400 180 .

New valvetrain components from Supertech (OE sizes) -

Intake lift (CFM)

.100 105
    .200 180
    .300 249
    .400 265

Exhaust lift

.100 79
    .200 158
    .300 200
    .400 212

17% gain on the intake and about 18% gains on the exhaust. The shop-owner tests each port 3 times for average consistency prior to reporting. IIRC, when I inquired with VAC about their S54 heads about 1 year ago... they did NOT provide flow numbers even for the Stage 3 heads.

If Stan's build with the Ferrea valves bears fruit and stays friendly with VANOS, I may have to kidnap his firstborn if he doesn't let me order a set of the valves.

Can't wait to see your final results with the new valves @stosh1.

Mike
    Last edited by MisterEm; 03-29-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

LOL Mike! You don't have to kidnap him, I'll deliver him to you, if you just promise to feed him on a semi-regular basis, & put him through college!?!?Click here to enlarge

Those are some very good numbers Mike, the low-lift numbers are excellent, sounds like your shop guy knows his stuff! I'm surprisd that you picked up that much flow w/the limited amount of material there is to work with w/this cylinder head! You should see some real good power w/that set up, even in CO. Keep us posted on your progress!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Hey Stan,

Good information. And quite consistent with the advice you gave me a few months back.

I would have to reiterate what Stan said regarding the head. I spent $2,000 and replaced every valvetrain component with Supertech components made for 9,000+ rpm. Intake ports were not touched, merely polished. The exhaust ports had minor port work and were polished. The machine shop said the gains were predominantly made in the valve-job and the valvetrain components.

The actual machine and port-work was $1100 and the parts were $900. @normcaldwell and I checked out the head after the port work was done and right before the valvejob. Throw a few of the pictures up if you can Norm!

I do have a small update on my budget build. Preliminary flowbench numbers were made available last week from the shop and I am excited to bolt it on with the 288/280 schrick's as well.

Stock #'s. No flow past .400" lift with the dual-valve opening tool used. We had to borrow a couple exhaust valves from Stan to complete it properly - as our head had 12 bent exhaust valves. Thanks Stan!

Intake lift (CFM)

.100 98
    .200 142
    .300 235
    .400 253

Exhaust lift

.100 73
    .200 145
    .300 154
    .400 180 .

New valvetrain components from Supertech (OE sizes) -

Intake lift (CFM)

.100 105
    .200 180
    .300 249
    .400 265

Exhaust lift

.100 79
    .200 158
    .300 200
    .400 212

17% gain on the intake and about 18% gains on the exhaust. The shop-owner tests each port 3 times for average consistency prior to reporting. IIRC, when I inquired with VAC about their S54 heads about 1 year ago... they did NOT provide flow numbers even for the Stage 3 heads.

If Stan's build with the Ferrea valves bears fruit and stays friendly with VANOS, I may have to kidnap his firstborn if he doesn't let me order a set of the valves.

Can't wait to see your final results with the new valves @stosh1 .

Mike

Nice flow gains Mike! Some pics below of Mike's S54 head, taken while at Dave's shop.

One of the cams

Click here to enlarge

Head - Before

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Head After

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Exhaust Port After

Click here to enlarge

Intake After

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    Nice flow gains Mike! Some pics below of Mike's S54 head, taken while at Dave's shop.
    Sorrry not familiar with who Dave is? What shop is this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by normcaldwell Click here to enlarge
    Just a clarification... these pictures are prior to the valve-job. Thanks again to Norm for bringing his camera.

Sorrry not familiar with who Dave is? What shop is this?
    He's not a forum guy that is for sure. A family man with a hand for machine work. I respect him the most as he has turned away more work from me than he has taken.

Here is his website: http://schracingheads.net/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

He's not a forum guy that is for sure. A family man with a hand for machine work. I respect him the most as he has turned away more work from me than he has taken.

Here is his website: http://schracingheads.net/
    Thanks for the link wondering if I should have him take a look at my heads? How good is he?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast