Close

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is true.... The last car that had dyno'd on a dynojet (non load cell) and then dyno'd on our Mustang dyno made about 9.5% less whp, same setup. Slightly defferent ambient conditions and we were weather corrected. (Corpus usually has $#@!ty weather for power besides being at sea level)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CobraMarty Click here to enlarge
    Yeah because the Dynojet reads about 10% higher numbers than Mustang dyno.
    Ehh, generally yeah, but not always 100% true. Mustang dyno's can be run in an "unloaded" state which will give a higher reading. The which dyno is "best" discussion has been beaten to death on almost every car forum known to man...ultimately it usually comes down to the operator & how he calibrates his particular dyno. It is then up to the end user/customer to interpret the data. At the end of the day, the dyno should be treated as just another tool to aide w/tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not talking about taking Mustang numbers and adding 10% to them to get Dynojet numbers.
    Just saying that when I see Dynojet numbers, I subtract 10% and use that number to compare to Mustang numbers.
    Everyone wants to show off their Dynojet numbers because they are higher.

Yeah Load vs. Inertia.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CobraMarty Click here to enlarge
    Everyone wants to show off their Dynojet numbers because they are higher.
    no it's because they're consistent

a dynojet in any part of the world given the same atmospheric conditions with the same car will give for all intents and purposes the SAME reading

you can't say the same for load type dynos as they're all calibrated differently, you can fudge the numbers more easily etc.

the only dyno that counts for claiming a 'record' number is a dynojet because of that, unfortunately.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    no it's because they're consistent

a dynojet in any part of the world given the same atmospheric conditions with the same car will give for all intents and purposes the SAME reading

you can't say the same for load type dynos as they're all calibrated differently, you can fudge the numbers more easily etc.

the only dyno that counts for claiming a 'record' number is a dynojet because of that, unfortunately.
    you deserve a cookie.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mustang Dynamometer are extremely consistant as well... Unless you screw up the dyno parameters, which can happen on a dynojet too...

For instance, my stock z4M made 260whp with 55,000miles and failing alternator. That seems very consistant with what was made at other Mustang dynamometers.

Also, the 7-9% lower than dynojet holds true most of the time, meaning the Mustang Dynamometer would HAVE to be consistant for that to happen.

We have even had a 700whp/1400ftlb truck on LC dynojet put down 700whp/1400ftlb on pur Mustang Dynamometer a week later. In that scenario, the actual difference was less than 5%

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    On a non loaded dyno, you can also get away with a more aggressive tune because the time under load in gear will be shorter. That could account for some differences as well.

Just make sure you re-check your tune under true load....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Update: The new motor is back in the car & currently breaking it in now while I tidy up a few things...couple pics of the new bullet! Special thanx to Matt Coyne@Coyne Performance LLC!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks good brother.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Looks good brother.
    Thanx Ejaz!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Few updates guys: Recently had a chance to get a few updated dyno runs w/a new MFactory/YCW cf d/s that I'm testing for the E46 chassis. Results look very promising so far! Also, planning a couple minor changes to the motor w/the addition of a 4" snorkel and intake hose (vs the current 3"), and also going to experiment w/a larger 3.5" midpipe. Hoping for another 5-10HP! Here's the current dyno graph for the vehicle and a couple vids testing the new cf d/s. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/XANaAceiiWk

https://youtu.be/6JRmvTVLpok
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2203 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Videos embedded:

Sound glorious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got your big, black snorkle @stosh1..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Haha-thanx for embedding the vids man!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    I got your big, black snorkle @stosh1..
    You know I can't wait to lay my eyes on it!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by stosh1 Click here to enlarge
    You know I can't wait to lay my eyes on it!Click here to enlarge
    A little concerned what you might stuff inside it...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    A little concerned what you might stuff inside it...
    Now that would be TMI my friendClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome as always.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Awesome as always.
    Thanx Ejaz!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2203 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanx Ejaz!
    It's probably the top NA S54 out there. It's an awesome build man and you provided great data. This is how things should be presented.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's probably the top NA S54 out there. It's an awesome build man and you provided great data. This is how things should be presented.
    Awe-shucks, thanx man!Click here to enlarge I'm sure they're a few others around w/more powerful S54's (like my buddy above-MisterEm's 400 hp fully built stroker beast), but this was meant as more of a rebuild for the avg. Joe-so to speak. (I'm still saving my pennies for a killer motor.) I hurt a rod bearing in the motor so we just slapped some new pistons & bearings together...and this is the result. The motor itself is really nothing too fancy...it's the supporting bolt-one and love that make it go. It's the 'little motor that could', and if we could squeeze out another 10hp or so...it would be putting out around 2hp/cu in...which is pretty damn impressive for a little NA 3.2.Click here to enlarge Special thanx again to Matt@coynesperformance and Frank Smith@TTFS for the build and tuning support!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oops-repost

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2203 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    rank Smith@TTFS for the build and tuning support!
    TTFS does extremely well on the S54's, that is for sure.

I guess there are a couple more powerful ones but stroking the S54 gets you barely anything. I really like what you achieved hp per dollar wise.

People used to say the engine was maxed out from the factory. Those were the days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I guess there are a couple more powerful ones but stroking the S54 gets you barely anything. I really like what you achieved hp per dollar wise.

People used to say the engine was maxed out from the factory. Those were the days.
    Thanx again man! Yeah, Frank is a wizard w/the M3's, but he can also tune other BMW's, Porsche, etc...he can pretty much tune anything. Agreed, at almost 100HP over factory, I would def say those days are behind us-lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yep. Thats why he did my bottom end and tuned it. I did the head. Crower cut us some cams after ditching the Schrick 296/288 13.5mm lift cams.

but stroking the S54 gets you barely anything.
    If ~30whp, and ~20wtq across the whole rpm band is "barely anything" on the S54... myself and Stan may be chasing ghosts!

Who wouldn't an NA I6 that whoops up on bolt on V8 S65's and revs like a dirtbike? Sounds a little like those forum "experts" that said you can't run 12:1, 14.5mm lift cams without neutering the dual vanos control on the s54. "Have fun with the VANOS block" they said...

395 285 SAE at 8200rpm on 91 pump at 150 miles on motor. Full vanos control. CSL box, MAP and Flap operation. @stosh1 has driven it on the base tune. Reels in track setup s65s down the back straight (and several NA P cars)...over and over again.

That delta may get a bit larger once both cats are removed, the 3.5" single is tested with proper fuel and another 500+ rpms added. Motor has 4k miles now.

41X 29X SAE may be possible if we can spin it deep into the 8's where these crower cams shine.

With the stroker combos available today, you can go for extreme cubes (reduced rpm) or more cubes with a better R:S ratio than stock (albeit...barely) and a wider rod bearing that is much cheaper than the S54 bearing. I went with the latter. Balanced to 9k. Oil pressure for 9500 rpm (custom pump). Only holdup is supertech springs currently - 8200 rpm max with 14.5mm crower cams (new head on the way).

Billet Crank after massaging from Marine (removed even more counterweight material) came back over 5lbs lighter than OEM and should last longer than the car...... unless SAAD or mert get a hold of it... Click here to enlarge

The s54 progresses slowly... would be nice to get billet cams and billet followers for this platform so the turbo guys can keep pushing the limits and dispelling rumors. (No need to pay the VAC tax for a stroker crank. You can build a solid stroker for much cheaper today).

I do think Stan and his buddy Dave have the two best stock rebuilds out there. HANDS DOWN!

But there is more for the S54 (in NA and Turbo form) and some folks are pushing it and just not posting it.

Cheers.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast