Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BOV before Meth Bungs - is there a benefit or not?

So in my never ending googling of running a BOV with meth I seem to always come across people saying to put the Bungs right after the BOV. This is the same recommendation I saw by members in a post on BB as well.

Now I was thinking, when I let off the throttle as long as there is meth anywhere along the cold side piping would it not still be venting out the BOV possibly? My understanding was always that the BOV would need to be moved to the hot side to avoid spraying meth when lifting off the throttle, but I've seen a lot of people saying otherwise so I was hoping somebody who knows a bit better could chime in.

If this method does prevent meth from being vented I would move my BOV to the elbow and just have the bungs located after the BOV.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    you want the meth as far from TB as possible, for us/you, thats going to be pre BOV. i ran this setup for a long time, w/o issue.
    if your dumping a lot of mix/high water content, there, MAY be some spraying out, but it is very, very unlikely, from what i have seen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would putting meth bungs on a custom lower charge pipe be a good idea, over using something like the ER CP with meth bungs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    you want the meth as far from TB as possible, for us/you, thats going to be pre BOV. i ran this setup for a long time, w/o issue.
    if your dumping a lot of mix/high water content, there, MAY be some spraying out, but it is very, very unlikely, from what i have seen
    Thanks for the reply. I had one of the injection points right after the intercooler outlet, but it became a pain in the ass to do maintenance and checkups on it, so I ended up moving everything up to the elbow location.

First I ended up with a tiny leak so I had to pull off the bumper and try to fix it up.
    Then I started noticing that a bit of meth was still leaking out the injector after I lifted from the throttle because the solenoid was close to the second nozzle by the elbow, but too far from this first nozzle. So as I was about to install a checkvalve into the system to try and fix this, but I ended up getting annoyed and just saying EFF IT lol, I'm not a pro racer so a single CM10 in the elbow is fine.

I was thinking of putting my BOV RIGHT where the elbow begins and then have the bungs come after the BOV (right where they are right now with the BMS Elbow). I would still get decent atomization and decent distribution, but I'm wondering if this would help out with the meth coming out the BOV?

I put a white microfiber infront of the BOV on a friends car to see how much is being sprayed out and there was a decent amount being spit out. I'm guessing it's not a huge issue of concern since a lot of people run a similar setup, but if running the BOV pre-bungs would help I wouldn't mind getting a chargepipe fabbed up for peace of mind.

If it has no benefit whatsoever then I might as well just keep things how they are and just hope for the best LOL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump, still no conclusive answer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The best fix for this would be to run a solenoid as close to the nozzle as possible. Check valve systems have a bleed down delay which will cause the meth to be blown out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still think your best bet is to have the BOV mounted on the hot side charge piping.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Easiest solution if your running meth is not install a bov at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the response guys!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zak@activeautowerke Click here to enlarge
    The best fix for this would be to run a solenoid as close to the nozzle as possible. Check valve systems have a bleed down delay which will cause the meth to be blown out.
    I would typically run the solenoid right up against the nozzle with hardly any hose between them, but there would still be a bit of discharge. It hasn't caused anyone problems up until now though so I'm guessing the amount is negligible.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I still think your best bet is to have the BOV mounted on the hot side charge piping.
    Yeah if it were summertime still I'd try it out. It's getting cold out and my front bumpers tired of being removed so many times that all the threads are messed up and it barely screws on now haha, I think I'll look for an easier way out this time around rather than the usual stupid ideas I come up with.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Easiest solution if your running meth is not install a bov at all.
    Yeah, I'm kinda tired of always killing my brain trying to think of stuff, the easier solution sounds very appealing this time around. It just sucks having to sell another HKS bov and then buying a new chargepipe DV's etc... Maybe I'll try my luck with the stock Chargepipe/DV and a BMS elbow see if it can hold up.

ER was willing to make me a custom piece with the BOV before the bungs and the bungs in the usual elbow location, but it seems like this doesn't really solve the meth discharge issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To me if your running meth and I think you said sometime in the future nitrous, make it as simple as possible. I am using the stock chargepipe and a meth elbow. Two meth nozzle in the elbow and on the outlet pipe of the intercooler is where I have my nitrous nozzle. Simple but yet very effective. I know u might like the sound of the bov, but if it's performance you are after, you need to compromise and see which is more important. Sound or performance as a BOV in this car does absolutely nothing for added performance over the stock DVs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if holding boost is your only concern, get some forged D vavles, and skip the BOV.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    To me if your running meth and I think you said sometime in the future nitrous, make it as simple as possible. I am using the stock chargepipe and a meth elbow. Two meth nozzle in the elbow and on the outlet pipe of the intercooler is where I have my nitrous nozzle. Simple but yet very effective. I know u might like the sound of the bov, but if it's performance you are after, you need to compromise and see which is more important. Sound or performance as a BOV in this car does absolutely nothing for added performance over the stock DVs.
    I was actually going to ask you where you inject the nitrous so thanks for giving that info. I have an aluminum pipe there that I can tap for a nitrous bung fairly easily and I will use the same spot. I got the BOV just for the hell of it and performance definitely is more imp then that little woosh sound haha so I'll switch back to the stock setup with the meth elbow and see how the diverter valves holdup.
    jb4+fbo+meth