Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Angry E85 related faults, or maybe just the usual 335i issues in a short period

Low pressure fuel sensor gave up a short while ago, replaced and code disappeared.

The car then started to run row and limped, two injectors where failed, all of them replaced as a preventive action and the engine runs fine.

Bank #1 primary O2 sensor signal indicates severe lean burn even though all plugs in bank #1 are sooty. This shows it is the sensor that has failed. Both sensors are replaced since I don't want to crawl under the car too often.

Däämiit, my HPFP gave up yesterday (long cranks and sporadic hesitations) Click here to enlarge It seems you need at least two cars if one is a 335i Click here to enlarge The 335 is still forgiven since it delivers and spares have become very cheap. Perhaps there is a HPFP recall as well for free exchange when it fails? It really doesn't matter though, the important thing is just to get rid of the problem.

All issues came very shortly one after the other, after starting to use 40% E85. Even though the problems are typical for 335i there may be a connection with the use of E85 Click here to enlarge

The mileage is 50k and the car is a -07 that has run smooth and perfectly fine up to now with no issues whatsover.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn sorry to hear about your HPFP issues now. I was in a similar situation as you with the LP sensor. I hope i dont follow your footsteps and have injectors and eventually the HPFP. What really stinks is that you had all that engine components taken off to get to this sensor, now you have to repeat it again. What codes are you throwing now with the HPFP failure?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The intake is easy to remove so it is completely OK, especially since I can do it blindfolded now Click here to enlarge. I havn't checked the codes yet, the long crank and hesitation occurred last evening but it is for sure a good sign of a HPFP problem so it will be replaced to avoid being stuck on side of a road. THAT would make me pissed.

I have always been aware of that these issues will come on more or less all 335i, so it is no great surprise and something that we need to accept since it is well known. I understand people in the US have lemon their new cars and become crazy though, since BMW neglected the issues too long.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I went through almost all that without ever using E85...
    JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | ER CP + Forge DVs | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Window Trim | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & a few other things...Tuned by: Burger Motorsports.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to hear man, this car has many fuel system parts with a short life span...
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BES335xi Click here to enlarge
    I went through almost all that without ever using E85...

+1. I just replaced my LPFP sensor with less than 30k miles on the clock and before e85 ever touched my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone else think the stock fuel system is not up to the task of running 100% E85 for extended periods?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My HPFP gave up at around 81k km's, or around 51k miles. I never ran E85 back then. Besides a recall on injectors, I've never changed anything but oil, filter and spark plugs on the engine. The car now has 122k km's on it and I've been running a ~40% E85 mix for some time now. With the RB's and ~17 psi I do run a bit lean sometimes. Obviously using E85 will inevitably stress the fueling system more than not using E85 at all, and I would not be prepared to do run 100% E85 just yet. For the last 2k km's with the RB's, my only problem has been an occasional overboost, causing the JB4 to shut down do to overboost protection, those RB's are quite boost happy LOL.

In short, although I fear that is a bit too late now, I'm not sure the HPFP failure is entirely to blame on the use of a E85 mix. But logically it probably didn't help any...
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Öhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So far been on 60/40 mix e85/91 for 5k miles just recently started full e85. The long start's started the second I put e85 in( it's an e85 thing) anyone that's ever owned an evo can relate. Our tunes don't do too well with e85 cold start parameters. So far so good(knock on wood) but 10k miles ago or so had hpfp and all 4 injectors replaced to the newest up to date ones. I would'nt worry about the cold start cranking it will get worse when it gets colder outside even with a mix. just keep an eye on ur fuel trims.
    7 335i 6mt cobbAP+fbo+e85 12.9@112mph so far
    06 c6 vette- sold 13.0@114.5mph
    06 evo9- sold 11.5@123
    10 genesis-sold slow
    04 srt-4-sold 11.6@126mph

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will stay clear of this even if there is no correlation to failing components. The prolonged cold starts would annoy the crap out of me.