Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    doesnt depend on the ecu. its going to fail waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before it normally would
    No, it depends on the ECU. These new motors are far more sophisticated in their safeguards. You still want to be careful but my point is what would have killed your motor in the past won't necessarily kill it today. Look at how the safety guards in the ECU engaged when drew pulled his intake and the boost spiked, limp mode protected the motor.

jesus man, i guess i didnt do a good job of oversimplifying it before. if youtune for 100 octane, but only run on 93, the motor will fail, quickly.
    Not quickly. It will beat itself to death like Ricky's motor did over 2 weeks when he ran his meth tune with the tank empty. It doesn't just go boom right away the internals aren't that weak, they are forged.

methanol does not reach the motor, for any number of likely and common reasons, it is no longer running on an effective octane #, it is running on 93 octane, and.. as stated, again,its going to fail waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before it normally would. most cases almost immediately.
    Sorry, it isn't almost immediately as we have seen from two people and secondly make sure your meth is flowing. Just like you need to make sure you have 100 octane for a race gas tune. What is the problem exactly?

by your reasoning, why not? you have to fill a meth tank, you can surely run on ms109 all day everyday..
    It isn't if have the ability to fill it is the cost involved. Everyone would run MS109 24/7 if they could but how are you going to afford to that for a daily? What about when you don't have it around you? Meth lasts for more than 1 tank (depending on reservoir size) unlike MS109.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    they are fast, but nothing is perfect, as history has shown
    it will beat itself to death, depends on how bad, some last hours, some last weeks
    so, if a motor can last a week, its served its purpose? we want cars that can last a few years. if all you want is a few weeks, ok, then you have validated all your points. if you want years and 5 figure miles, dont tune for meth
    but ms109 is more powerful and allows for more power than meth,.. so your gonan do it right, your going after max performance, so what you have to spend more, or drive out of the way to get it. max performance... so instead of tuning for meth and praying your car doesnt need a tow home, you add 1 psi, pump tune, add a small meth nozzle, let the car account for the minor afr variance, you win, and get to drive it home..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Stock engines have failed.
    They are very few which doesn't mean it's a common problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It does seem like the S65 failures are overblown a bit. I can think of less than 5 online. Am I missing a bunch?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    but ms109 is more powerful and allows for more power than meth,..
    I don't think this is correct. HPF makes more power with race gas + meth even when using C16.

so instead of tuning for meth and praying your car doesnt need a tow home
    Why would you need a tow home? You can have multiple maps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    They are very few which doesn't mean it's a common problem.
    Few supercharged cars have failed as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    It does seem like the S65 failures are overblown a bit. I can think of less than 5 online. Am I missing a bunch?
    You are missing a bunch but they are overblown.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The dialogue between Sticky and LM is good info. As I didn't know much about the history of boosted S65 motor failures.

I like the idea of having the VF or ESS flash also "tune" for meth with appropriate failsafes. I don't know how this would work but I will at least ask VF/ESS and report back.

I still like the idea of a piggyback for additional features such as instantaneously switching maps (running a valet tune for example) or CAN-integration data logging, and traction control (still unsure if this feature exists on the S65).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by longboarder Click here to enlarge
    I still like the idea of a piggyback for additional features such as instantaneously switching maps (running a valet tune for example)
    The ECU doesn't work the same way as the N54, you can't do that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am glad people are starting to realize that meth, when used for cooling is amazing. I also recommend having the tank in the trunk much safer place and keeps the heat away.
    F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    I am glad people are starting to realize that meth, when used for cooling is amazing. I also recommend having the tank in the trunk much safer place and keeps the heat away.
    Good idea. I'm definitely switching to a trunk-mount system for the M3. For my 335 I'm using the WW tank and have had issues at the roll-on events because the car ends up sitting for a while in between runs and the tank is right next to the turbos. Meth boils at such a low temp (~ 150 F) that the hot turbos will heat it up beyond boiling point which will then interrupt flow. Also there were a few 335's catching on fire at the track and the WW tank meth appeared to be the likely cause.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by longboarder Click here to enlarge
    The dialogue between Sticky and LM is good info. As I didn't know much about the history of boosted S65 motor failures.

I like the idea of having the VF or ESS flash also "tune" for meth with appropriate failsafes. I don't know how this would work but I will at least ask VF/ESS and report back.

I still like the idea of a piggyback for additional features such as instantaneously switching maps (running a valet tune for example) or CAN-integration data logging, and traction control (still unsure if this feature exists on the S65).

i really hope your not asking questions just to raise awareness of shivs stuff. so ill say this, if you like the idea of all the other goodies that it can do, then go ahead and run it. If you just want to get a kit and maximize your power, just get the next level kit. total $ is in your favor, as well as dependability and longevity. a basic meth kit is a great idea, just dont rely on it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i really hope your not asking questions just to raise awareness of shivs stuff. so ill say this, if you like the idea of all the other goodies that it can do, then go ahead and run it. If you just want to get a kit and maximize your power, just get the next level kit. total $ is in your favor, as well as dependability and longevity. a basic meth kit is a great idea, just dont rely on it
    I have questions outstanding to Vishnu about what exactly the Proceed is cabable of with the M3 firmware. I had (perhaps inappropriately) assumed it did most of the same things on the M3 as with the 335. I will post up what I learn.

I did speak with VF and ESS about custom tuning my application for meth. Neither will do it...not even if I give them my car and a dyno and lots of $$. They want me to run the same tune that comes with their kits and allow the software to adapt when running meth or higher octane. This is understandable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LM is 100% right in regards to meth injection. Now if I could just get him to realize DCT is better .... lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
    LM is 100% right in regards to meth injection.
    Sorry, he isn't. The meth is dangerous and the devil stuff really needs to stop. It only comes from one camp late to the party and using it now when they realized how far behind they were on power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ESS is behind on power lol? Did I not trap 132 without meth and beat your traps with 7psi meanwhile you were using 9psi+meth and at a bull$#@! track where a BOLT ON M3 trapped 120 (absurd)? Please dont get me started sticky, not driving your car has left you in a facade with this platform

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ESS is behind on power lol? Did I not trap 132 without meth? Please dont get me started sticky
    You spun and trapped higher, good for you. I broke 130 how long ago?

Yes, you can not equal on the stock internals without meth what I can on meth with a tune for it. Unless you believe meth does not increase your detonation resistance? I ran my trap at 7.5 psi lol.

Not to mention the hardware involved. The T-Trim is bigger bud, flows more CFM, the physics don't agree with you.

Right, me doing years ago what you are doing now left me in a "facade" eh? LOL, ok, you enjoy that stock internal itty bitty blower beast of yours. The big boys are doing other things not playing around with stuff done years ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry, he isn't. The meth is dangerous and the devil stuff really needs to stop. It only comes from one camp late to the party and using it now when they realized how far behind they were on power.
    jesus christ. tune your car to run on 100 octane and only run 91/meth, $#@!s not gonna last if that meth doesnt make it there on time, all the time. this is common sense $#@! here man. I dont know why your so adamant about an issue you have not fully investigated, or experienced. i can find catostrophic failures on any motor due to aggressive tuning on meth, meth kit failed, motor went bye-bye.

LM is 100% right in regards to meth injection. Now if I could just get him to realize DCT is better .... lol
    i would need to see it.. too much i have seen sways me to continue my beliefs Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    jesus christ. tune your car to run on 100 octane and only run 91/meth, $#@!s not gonna last if that meth doesnt make it there on time, all the time. this is common sense $#@! here man.
    Exactly my whole point. Is it really too much to ask to keep your tank filled when running a meth tune? Is it too much to ask for you to fill up a car designed to run gas? You and everyone else on the planet manages to do it.

i can find catostrophic failures on any motor due to aggressive tuning on meth, meth kit failed, motor went bye-bye.
    And user error is evidence of meth tunes being super dangerous somehow? I can show you failures on stock cars. Are internal combustion motors dangerous now? It's an absurd point. If you want an aggressive tune, do what you need to maintain it safely.

too much i have seen sways me to continue my beliefs
    LOL. When those manual M3's start beating the DCT's let me know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@!! RUNNING OUT OF METH IN THE TANK IS THE LEAST AND LAST LIKELY SCENARIO!

run your 10* advance meth tune, aka race tune, and when the meth doesnt flow, hope your internals can take it. thats not user error, thats $#@!ing fact and has everything to do with you, YOU, TUNING TOO AGGRESSIVELY FOR PUMP GAS, because thats whats in your fuel tank now, and thats all your pistons are going to see.. all the way up until they get a birds eye view of your car and the road because it was shot through the hood

youve watched manual m3s beat dct m3's already

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@!! RUNNING OUT OF METH IN THE TANK IS THE LEAST AND LAST LIKELY SCENARIO!
    It's the only meth failure scenario that has happened on the S65.

run your 10* advance meth tune, aka race tune, and when the meth doesnt flow
    Why is it not flowing? It just decides to stop? You can't have a flow sensor as well?

youve watched manual m3s beat dct m3's already
    When? Because on equal cars the only way a manual has a chance is from a 3rd speed roll on. Any run from 1st gear if you look at the gearing and shift speed the DCT can't lose as it is mathematically impossible.

The DCT always shifts faster. I don't know what else to tell you I find it funny you buy one and then want to argue against it because I'm the one arguing for it. LOL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Why is it not flowing? It just decides to stop? You can't have a flow sensor as well?
    What do you mean why does it stop flowing? There are hundreds of reasons [clogs, air bubbles in the meth tank caused by sloshing around (the coolingmist trunkmount tank is especially prone to this when the tank is less than half full) can cause sub-par meth spray, etc...]. Also, yeah you do have a flow sensor, but the car doesnt have a failsafe implemented where the ECU will automatically switch to a lower boost map to save the motor (in turbo applications like the N54).

+1 on steves post, nailed it on the head, i dont see whats hard to understand here

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What do you mean why does it stop flowing? There are hundreds of reasons (clogs, air bubbles in the meth tank caused by sloshing around [the coolingmist trunkmount tank is especially prone to this when the tank is less than half full) can cause sub-par meth spray, etc...]
    Ya many of these reasons can make your fuel stop flowing as well, how concerned are you? LOL. Making meth flow is like trying to launch a rocket into space.

It's very simple, if you are worried about flow get a flow sensor. Tada, problem solved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ya many of these reasons can make your fuel stop flowing as well, how concerned are you? LOL. Making meth flow is like trying to launch a rocket into space.

It's very simple, if you are worried about flow get a flow sensor. Tada, problem solved.
    In terms of reliability there is a HUGE difference between the fuel system that comes with the car and a bull$#@! meth kit thats worth 300$, I dont know why you are comparing the two.

So your telling me that in a 40-180 roll if my meth stops flowing when im at 140mph at redline in 4th gear my eyes aren't going to be on the road and on my flow sensor thats mounted in my gauge pod in the ashtray? Even if it were mounted in front of my face, by the time I get off the throttle etc... the damage is done. What dont you understand? Your making it sound that having a flow sensor will save your motor - a flow sensor wont help your engine UNLESS it is incorporated into a failsafe system which is able to change maps.
    This is elementary $#@! what is so hard to understand?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In terms of reliability there is a HUGE difference between the fuel system that comes with the car and a bull$#@! meth kit thats worth 300$, I dont know why you are comparing the two.
    Why are you getting some bull$#@! meth kit? Why not get the best? I did. If you want to be cheap blame yourself.

So your telling me that in a 40-180 roll if my meth stops flowing when im at 140mph at redline in 4th gear my eyes aren't going to be on the road and on my flow sensor thats mounted in my gauge pod in the ashtray?
    Let me get this straight, you think the motor will just instantly let go if the meth stops?

Even if it were mounted in front of my face, by the time I get off the throttle etc... the damage is done. What dont you understand? Your making it sound that having a flow sensor will save your motor - a flow sensor wont help your engine UNLESS it is incorporated into a failsafe system which is able to change maps.
    You aren't running the meth because your fuel system is maxed. You are supplementing it. You won't blow your motor like that, just ask Ricky. He drove his car for what, 2 weeks with no meth?

The ECU also has safetyguards. Why is it Drew didn't blow his motor when he pulled his intake and his boost spiked to 12+ psi?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast