Close

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by turugara Click here to enlarge
    Depending on the material you have access to, here are a few ideas of mine.

1. Brake cover backing plates with cooling vents that are cheap. Front already exists, so perhaps a kit with front and rear that also includes an inlet flange.
    +1000

The brake backing plates that are sold for $500 are way overpriced! Backing plate (which also fits BBKs as most track guys have upgraded the brakes) + inlet flange with mesh to prevent debris from being projected against the rotors = win Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    +1000

The brake backing plates that are sold for $500 are way overpriced! Backing plate (which also fits BBKs as most track guys have upgraded the brakes) + inlet flange with mesh to prevent debris from being projected against the rotors = win Click here to enlarge
    Can you point me at an example of this? I think I know what the backing plate is but in terms of the inlet flange and mesh I can't picture it. Who sells it for E9x/E8x? Any links?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i actually own one. Hotchkiss. i bought it when i was doing my whole 'handling is king' craze back in late '07 early '08. has stood up to the test of time and a few speed-bump scrapes Click here to enlarge

when the x-brace was brand new:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0949-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0945-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0953-1.jpg

and a more recent photo, before doing a clutch upgrade.
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_1247-1.jpg

it maybe discontinued now for all i know. if so, you could jump into this one for sure dz.
    Looks like it is discontinued indeed. It was $349 on sale?

http://www.machv.com/bmw335hospun.html
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i actually own one. Hotchkiss. i bought it when i was doing my whole 'handling is king' craze back in late '07 early '08. has stood up to the test of time and a few speed-bump scrapes Click here to enlarge

when the x-brace was brand new:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0949-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0945-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0953-1.jpg

and a more recent photo, before doing a clutch upgrade.
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_1247-1.jpg

it maybe discontinued now for all i know. if so, you could jump into this one for sure dz.
    A bit OT, but did you notice a big improvement in rear stiffness or handling?
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is indeed discontinued and, from what I've read, it was prone to rust in salty winters. Did you notice an improvement in handling? I'm all about improving handling on my car and this would be top of my list if it's worth it.
    sucks man, about the discontinuation, but if you can find one, i'd definitely pick one up. i unfortunately never got to test this guy against a few years of Alfred, NY's weather/salt. i installed it, and all other current mods (in NY i had the original SSTT and a RPi i/c which were a blast and good for 13.0 @ 110 in NY's colder climate, now sold) after moving back down to FL. wow sorry to digress lol, i installed both the coils and the underbrace the same day, which overall made a huge improvement, in hindsight i should have spaced it out. so, i may not be the best person for user feedback, but is there another? lol but imo, it's worth it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Looks like it is discontinued indeed. It was $349 on sale?

http://www.machv.com/bmw335hospun.html
    iirc, i actually bought it off modbargains back in the day lol! i don't remember the price, sorry Click here to enlarge. aren't they a vendor here? maybe they have a few that never sold.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    A bit OT, but did you notice a big improvement?
    i replied to Autobahn335i above, i really can't say unfortunately because i installed it along with a huge handling upgrade (pics).
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 07-31-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I recall seeing that x-brace on @farbmw's car...it was red though I think, looked good but I don't know how it performed...we may bring it back if you guys think its a functional and worth while upgrade and look into what's involved in making it after discussing with the guys at the shop
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1000

almost missed this post. i had to chop at my brake backing plates in order to fit the brembo bbk. i would also like a 'cleaner' solution to reduce brake dust getting where it shouldn't. this should be just a piece of stamped metal so it should be easy/cheap to make. but you could also take it up a notch to what he said above^.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    I recall seeing that x-brace on @farbmw 's car...it was red though I think, looked good but I don't know how it performed...we may bring it back if you guys think its a functional and worth while upgrade and look into what's involved in making it after discussing with the guys at the shop
    Yup, I still have it but not I have not installed on the 335is yet, so if you need to have a look at it to see thedifferencee from the stock one, I have no problem lending it out.

The reason it was painted red is because when I got it tpreviousous owner drove his car in the wintertime and it had some rust, so my brother gave it to his friend that hasbody-shophop, and he just finished painting a red Mazda so he used that to paint it.

Since I pulled is off the 335i I was getting a lot of PMs to sell it, but since you can not buy it anymore I kept it.
    Last edited by farbmw; 07-31-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-s...8793-trim.html

I need something like this. Thanks.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    http://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-s...8793-trim.html

I need something like this. Thanks.
    on a BMW? are you a drag/track junkie?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All great options. We were actually looking at a strut tower brace on one of the local cars here and we should be able to make it no problem. Radiator is on the list to look into. I'd also LOVE a rear seat delete in my car as I like running without the seats but hate the hole back there towards the trunk. I'll talk to the shop about this today and see what we could do.
    I'd buy a rear seat delete kit ASAP, my rear seats get no use at all! Would you happen to know what the weight is of the frame/backing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cant think of anything performance, but I know what would sell..

Click here to enlargehttps://www.sonicms.net/index.php?ro...product_id=677

realisticly priced shifters..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    I'd buy a rear seat delete kit ASAP, my rear seats get no use at all! Would you happen to know what the weight is of the frame/backing?
    I want the rear seat delete too. Most locals know I throw out my seats when going all out at the track and I really just put them back in as the car looks and sounds like crap on the inside without them.

The rear seat/back/side bolsters weigh about 85lbs. Each front seat is ~65lbs, so about ~220lbs all seats out Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want the rear seat delete too. Most locals know I throw out my seats when going all out at the track and I really just put them back in as the car looks and sounds like crap on the inside without them.

The rear seat/back/side bolsters weigh about 85lbs. Each front seat is ~65lbs, so about ~220lbs all seats out Click here to enlarge
    $#@!!!! I was guessing ~50lbs for the rear assembly...that's a good weight savings, even if the delete weighed in @ 20lbs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    cant think of anything performance, but I know what would sell..

realisticly priced shifters..
    Hey, that's a really great starter idea. Perfect for getting our feet wet with this stuff. Cool.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    on a BMW? are you a drag/track junkie?
    Because racecar Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey, that's a really great starter idea. Perfect for getting our feet wet with this stuff. Cool.
    ill test a set out for you, anodized black of course Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ill test a set out for you, anodized black of course Click here to enlarge
    Yes, anodizing black as well as laser etching is done in-house so not a problem. We'll gather up some measurements and see what we can come up with. Anything you think we could improve upon there in terms of function/form/design. If anyone'd like to draw up a fav design of the paddle shifters and drop it in here as a design idea feel free and we'll try to make it happen.

EDIT: Looking at that sonicms.net site I think we could also do a nice pulley kit for the M3s. Do you have one on your car?
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 07-31-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, anodizing black as well as laser etching is done in-house so not a problem. We'll gather up some measurements and see what we can come up with. Anything you think we could improve upon there in terms of function/form/design. If anyone'd like to draw up a fav design of the paddle shifters and drop it in here as a design idea feel free and we'll try to make it happen.

EDIT: Looking at that sonicms.net site I think we could also do a nice pulley kit for the M3s. Do you have one on your car?
    lol, yea, but its attached to a blower Click here to enlarge

oem pulleys are required for blown M3s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol, yea, but its attached to a blower Click here to enlarge

oem pulleys are required for blown M3s
    Ah that's right! Click here to enlarge When're you taking her to the track? Or have you already?

Good to know about OEM pulleys and FI.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    had to get an M3 for a fuel pump issue... go figure.. its going in for service on thursday

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would like some pedals

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just a quick thing to think about when making anything that's not cosmetic. You should really do some research on your material selections. Coming from the aerospace industry, metals with very similar qualities can yield completely different results when it comes to low cycle and high cycle fatigue, fatigue at temperature, etc. There really needs to be an appropriate stress analysis done for any stock parts that you plan on redesigning in order to make sure that your design with a lighter material is strong, durable, capable enough of handling what it's going to be put through...and over time too! For instance, I can tell you that the difference in 1ksi of stress is usually good for reducing a test samples life by one decade, meaning that at 30ksi it may run 10million cycles, but at 31ksi it'll only run 1million cycles. Another thing to consider is knowing when a part needs to be case hardened to endure surface wear on the outside, but be capable of handling shock. The harder the material, the more brittle. Like with gears. They have a hard outside to handle the frictional wear, but are still "soft" on the inside to handle the shock. There is SOOOOOOOOO much more that goes into properly designing and engineering parts for a car than to just pick a light material and go into the shop and mill it out.

I wish you the best of luck and know that there's not much need for stress considerations when it comes to stuff like paddle shifters or OCC's, but just something to keep in mind and take heed to when you start itching to really get adventurous.
    Last edited by mycoupe; 07-31-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    I wish you the best of luck and know that there's not much need for stress considerations when it comes to stuff like paddle shifters
    dude, you serious? you have NO IDEA how hard and fast the DCT ///M3's shift, let-alone a supercharged DCT. a DCT paddle will certainly need the thorough stress testing...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sign me up for Anodized Black Shifters -- Ready to toss the OEM dual function sport paddles, but not for ~$200 for OEM DCT Paddles
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast