Close

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Lightbulb Custom N54 Parts

Wanted to give you guys a heads up on some cool stuff we're thinking of doing at PTF. First a bit of background:

Friend's of mine's family own a machining business for about 15 years. Up until a couple days ago when I made a short stop at their shop I didn't realize the capacity and capabilities they had. I was honestly blown away. I've always wanted to make some custom parts for my own N54 but it was always hard as there are significant costs involved in getting even the smallest things done even in prototype form of any sort. For instance, I paid a TON of money for 3" custom cold side FMIC piping+charge pipe, waited for it for a while to arrive and I really thought that no one should need to pay those costs and that custom fab projects should be easier to get going with the help of our community.

They showed me around and every step I took through the shop looking at machinery I was like a kid in a candy store lol I wanted to do start making some stuff right away. Custom intake pipes, custom OCC design, custom meth tank, custom offset wheel spacers, intake/exhaust mani, N55 parts, N20 parts. I'm now actually seriously thinking about getting an N20 to have fun with just making some sweet looking and performing machined parts.

I was thinking about what could we do first that wouldn't be overly complicated but yet could prove that we can do some nice stuff for this car and offer it to those interested at enthusiast-approved pricing. You may say, wtf does that mean? Well, bottom line means we don't get it done unless price for it doesn't makes sense given what is obtained in return. For instance, no useless throttle body spacers will ever be built here LOL

So, the very first pet project we picked is doing a good ol' Oil Catch Can. Why not, with all the damn research I've done in the past with crankcase testing and valve carbon contamination, might as well give it a shot.

Unsure what will come of it but it'll be done as good as we can keeping in mind all the important bits: placed in the cool location in the back of the engine bay, shortest tubing possible that preserves minimum piping diameters required, must have a drain and be easy to drain and optionally a see through screen of some sort to see oil collected without taking it out. Every piece will be CNC machined so every OCC will be the exact same every time, like anything else CNC-ed really.

Our Cobb Pro Tuning is still our main focus but if we can do some parts exactly the way we want them and have them perform at least as good or better and be cheaper than what we're dinged with for having a BMW all the time, might be worth a shot trying...

Attaching some photos of the shop. Most of all,

MADE IN CANADA FTW!
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Some random parts, hard anodized and laser engraved that were ready for pickup by one of their customers:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Where are these guys located? Great connection for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    looks great dz, I'm happy for you and for the n54 community to have you as a leader. my only concern is with your first project. while it may be better than the rest of the competition, even by a long shot, the car was not designed to have a catch can. didn't you say yourself basically that the increase in pressure (crankcase) is caused by this void/space/catcher in the pcv system? because of this reason i will be deleting my catch can in the future and dumping the pcv to the exhaust for a vaccum, the way the racecars do it. this way the crankcase pressure will be minimal if any, free flowin' baby. but i applaud your effort dz, and wish you great luck for future projects. i'm sure you'll hit it off well. -tried to give ya rep but i need to spread it more-
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Great shop!

Looking forward to see what products you come up with.

I agree with oddjob though. The market for OCCs seems to be saturated, product utility put aside. Not sure how your products will be placed pricewise but I would look for stuff which either isn't available yet (intake manifold for example) or overpriced by the competition (differential cooler, intake-to-turbo tubing...).
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Where are these guys located? Great connection for sure.
    They're in Etobicoke, near 427 and 401.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    looks great dz, I'm happy for you and for the n54 community to have you as a leader. my only concern is with your first project. while it may be better than the rest of the competition, even by a long shot, the car was not designed to have a catch can. didn't you say yourself basically that the increase in pressure (crankcase) is caused by this void/space/catcher in the pcv system? because of this reason i will be deleting my catch can in the future and dumping the pcv to the exhaust for a vaccum, the way the racecars do it. this way the crankcase pressure will be minimal if any, free flowin' baby. but i applaud your effort dz, and wish you great luck for future projects. i'm sure you'll hit it off well. -tried to give ya rep but i need to spread it more-
    Thanks oddjob. We'll see what comes of it, exciting nonetheless. In terms of the OCC on this car the issues were there due to some OCC setups exceeding crankcase pressure specs (more in the link on PCV research in the first post). I've put on the BMS OCC which came out of that PCV discussion and it works great without impacting the crankcase ventilation in any measurable way. So preserving the cool location it uses in the back of the engine bay on the driver's side but with a drain so I don't have to crawl under the cowl during oil changes (which is hot at that time) to empty my OCC. I'd also like to give a shot at a bit of a different baffle inside and also possibly make the in/out ports as large as they can be with adapters for different sized hosing that'd screw in based on measurements of the PCV in/out, not just N54 but also N55 and N20 and any future models.

We'll see how it goes and I definitely want to try a couple things. Anything you do at a machine shop costs in both materials and labor so choosing the right things to do is important.

Once the OCC is in any presentable shape I'll post it up for you guys to see what we've come up with and in the meantime we're also looking into the almighty front/rear intake piping. The shop has a CNC bender machine which will be pretty sweet to try using for this. Before actually making the pipes on it I'm planning on doing the required research collecting data before and comparing with the mockup we build after and hitting the dyno to see if its worth power AND/OR wgdc making the turbos work less hard (i.e. more efficient). Either or both of these would be a definite reason to get it done as I'd want it on my car (if it ever gets on the road again LOL Click here to enlarge)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Great shop!

Looking forward to see what products you come up with.

I agree with oddjob though. The market for OCCs seems to be saturated, product utility put aside. Not sure how your products will be placed pricewise but I would look for stuff which either isn't available yet (intake manifold for example) or overpriced by the competition (differential cooler, intake-to-turbo tubing...).
    Differential finned cover is definitely a great item to make and we'll look into it. My diff is off the car waiting on a swap to a 2.56 so might as well take the cover off and see what we can come up with. Hopefully I'll be able to find all the parts to put the car back together when the times comes lol

OCC market is definitely saturated but I'd say, in the BMW scene its high saturated with overpriced heavily BMW-taxed items that have no reason to be so expensive other than low volume and them going on a B M W (bastards lol)...Intake pipes, they don't want to sell them separate from the air box and then slap us with 1800-2800 EUR ($2200-3400) for them and the airbox. That is robbery and I just want a fast car..
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 07-31-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

This is good stuff! I think if you could do something with the intake side of things you would have a winner. I'm looking forward to what you come up with!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    They're in Etobicoke, near 427 and 401.

Thanks oddjob. We'll see what comes of it, exciting nonetheless. In terms of the OCC on this car the issues were there due to some OCC setups exceeding crankcase pressure specs (more in the link on PCV research in the first post). I've put on the BMS OCC which came out of that PCV discussion and it works great without impacting the crankcase ventilation in any measurable way. So preserving the cool location it uses in the back of the engine bay on the driver's side but with a drain so I don't have to crawl under the cowl during oil changes (which is hot at that time) to empty my OCC. I'd also like to give a shot at a bit of a different baffle inside and also possibly make the in/out ports as large as they can be with adapters for different sized hosing that'd screw in based on measurements of the PCV in/out, not just N54 but also N55 and N20 and any future models.

We'll see how it goes and I definitely want to try a couple things. Anything you do at a machine shop costs in both materials and labor so choosing the right things to do is important.

Once the OCC is in any presentable shape I'll post it up for you guys to see what we've come up with and in the meantime we're also looking into the almighty front/rear intake piping. The shop has a CNC bender machine which will be pretty sweet to try using for this. Before actually making the pipes on it I'm planning on doing the required research collecting data before and comparing with the mockup we build after and hitting the dyno to see if its worth power AND/OR wgdc making the turbos work less hard (i.e. more efficient). Either or both of these would be a definite reason to get it done as I'd want it on my car (if it ever gets on the road again LOL Click here to enlarge)
    I cannot see myself buying and installing another OCC since I have BMS already, but inlet tubes, definitely YES if you can sell them quickly! I'm desperate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Got anyone around you that could make custom radiators? For all of us with the "Big Tom" style we can make use of that space where the factory intercooler used to go. BMW PPK can suck my balls.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    I cannot see myself buying and installing another OCC since I have BMS already, but inlet tubes, definitely YES if you can sell them quickly! I'm desperate.
    I've ditched my RR and BSH OCCs as they just didnt meet specs. BMS OCC is a great can, came out of the community ideas and need for a proper breathing solution. My only fit has been no drain mostly. Works well on my car but Big Tom has always had the biggest impact in terms of oil catch so something there might be worth looking into.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Got anyone around you that could make custom radiators? For all of us with the "Big Tom" style we can make use of that space where the factory intercooler used to go. BMW PPK can suck my balls.
    Definitely. We'll add that to the list for sure. Anything you guys can think of throw it up and we'll see if its worth getting our hands dirty with when it comes to effort/cost/approach etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

How about axles? It'd be nice to have a place local that can do them. Maybe he can repair my subframe too lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Reinforced Xbrace under the car? Made of non-corrosive and lightweight material Click here to enlarge
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Reinforced Xbrace under the car? Made of non-corrosive and lightweight material Click here to enlarge
    Good idea!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Oh and anything related to weight reduction for us track addicts Click here to enlarge Though I don't know yet where to start Click here to enlarge

What materials do you guys have access to?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

cams??? different compression pistons?? just throwing that out there... a stroker kit??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Strut tower brace, upgraded radiator, easy removable rear seat delete kit that looks factory?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Wow good luck DZ! Machining equipment is cool...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Great ideas and thanks for the initiative Dz. Subscribed.
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction
    [
    01/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Cobb S2+ PTF-protune | Stett CAI | ETS 5" FMIC | AR DP | AE Exhaust - Gone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depending on the material you have access to, here are a few ideas of mine.

1. Brake cover backing plates with cooling vents that are cheap. Front already exists, so perhaps a kit with front and rear that also includes an inlet flange.

2. Sunroof delete

3. Rear seat delete cutout to fill in the gap between the cabin and the rear trunk in the case of a rear seat delete

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I always said that there has to be someone in Canada that can do things like this, and now your proving me right!

And the best thing is I know you personally, so if I had any questions about anything with my car, your more then willing to help me out! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    How about axles? It'd be nice to have a place local that can do them. Maybe he can repair my subframe too lol.
    We'll look into axles for sure. Definitely something that can be done with the right materials in place. Mine are off the car so might as see what could be done.

I have the OEM one on my car and its never rusted. Can you be more specific on what to improve on it other than the weight of the material? Anything in particular? Any aftermarket examples that are being sold today?

Oh and anything related to weight reduction for us track addicts Click here to enlarge Though I don't know yet where to start Click here to enlarge

What materials do you guys have access to?
    Any sort of metal I guess. Plastic isn't something we could do.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    cams??? different compression pistons?? just throwing that out there... a stroker kit??
    This is a machine shop that has no experience in building high performing camshafts. The shop that is doing my cylinder head on the other hand may be able to do something. For now we'd like to stay outside the engine internals here.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Blaizon Click here to enlarge
    Strut tower brace, upgraded radiator, easy removable rear seat delete kit that looks factory?
    All great options. We were actually looking at a strut tower brace on one of the local cars here and we should be able to make it no problem. Radiator is on the list to look into. I'd also LOVE a rear seat delete in my car as I like running without the seats but hate the hole back there towards the trunk. I'll talk to the shop about this today and see what we could do.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Wow good luck DZ! Machining equipment is cool...
    Indeed Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Great ideas and thanks for the initiative Dz. Subscribed.
    Thanks brother.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by turugara Click here to enlarge

1. Brake cover backing plates with cooling vents that are cheap. Front already exists, so perhaps a kit with front and rear that also includes an inlet flange.

2. Sunroof delete

3. Rear seat delete cutout to fill in the gap between the cabin and the rear trunk in the case of a rear seat delete
    Can you post up an example of an existing break cover backing plate to give us some ideas including an inlet flange? Not sure what that looks like.

In terms of the sunroof delete, what do you mean by that exactly?

Will definitely look into a nice and functional rear seat delete.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by farbmw Click here to enlarge
    I always said that there has to be someone in Canada that can do things like this, and now your proving me right!

And the best thing is I know you personally, so if I had any questions about anything with my car, your more then willing to help me out! Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure we'll be able to do a couple things and we'll start with the simpler stuff of course. On the list of the more immediate and simpler things to do for now we've got:

1) OCC
    2) Differential Finned Cover
    3) Wheel spacers
    4) Custom (stainless) meth tank (either or both trunk/engine bay)

We'll build the list up as we go.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 07-31-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

i actually own one. Hotchkiss. i bought it when i was doing my whole 'handling is king' craze back in late '07 early '08. has stood up to the test of time and a few speed-bump scrapes Click here to enlarge

when the x-brace was brand new:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

and a more recent photo, before doing a clutch upgrade.
    Click here to enlarge

it maybe discontinued now for all i know. if so, you could jump into this one for sure dz.
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 07-31-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by turugara Click here to enlarge

2. Sunroof delete

Rear cooling kit is 100% unnecessary. Rear brake temps are very low even under pro racing conditions, and the venting vanes pull air from behind the wheel, not behind the rotor.

Sunroof delete could be a carbon panel to replace just the hole, but that would be such a low volume piece - typically only track and race cars. Otherwise you'd get a steel non-sunroof roof panel or a carbon panel (coupes).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 Click here to enlarge
    Rear cooling kit is 100% unnecessary. Rear brake temps are very low even under pro racing conditions, and the venting vanes pull air from behind the wheel, not behind the rotor.

Sunroof delete could be a carbon panel to replace just the hole, but that would be such a low volume piece - typically only track and race cars. Otherwise you'd get a steel non-sunroof roof panel or a carbon panel (coupes).
    I've looked into the sunroof delete a bit: OEM M3 carbon roof panel is around $2.000. Labour would be another $1000 approximately. Weight gain 40-45lbs. Worth it for the track head as the centre of gravity will be notably lowered.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i actually own one. Hotchkiss. i bought it when i was doing my whole 'handling is king' craze back in late '07 early '08. has stood up to the test of time and a few speed-bump scrapes Click here to enlarge

when the x-brace was brand new:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0949-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0945-1.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_0953-1.jpg

and a more recent photo, before doing a clutch upgrade.
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_1247-1.jpg

it maybe discontinued now for all i know. if so, you could jump into this one for sure dz.
    It is indeed discontinued and, from what I've read, it was prone to rust in salty winters. Did you notice an improvement in handling? I'm all about improving handling on my car and this would be top of my list if it's worth it.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast