Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Points
    1,382.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    Protuned fbo cobb 335i vs jb4 335i

    Went out to a meet last night with a couple of friends, but before i met up with them, i threw in 3 gallons of e85 to my almost full tank of 93. Did a 40 roll with a close friend of mine. His 335i has everything mine has, and the only two differences are that he is a 6MT (I'm 6AT) and he is cobb protuned by jake at protuning freaks, while I have jb4 on may or june firmware. vid was shot with a go pro of some sort. one of the newer ones lol. contrary to what the vid says, the runs actually took place in mexico.



    this is the same cobb 335i i ran before, but the diff is now we are both on e85 mixes and he is protuned for it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    boost vs boost was..?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Points
    1,382.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    boost vs boost was..?
    He said he was hitting 18+ psi, I was spiking to about 16-16.5 and tapering down to 14.5.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,460
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    explains it all Click here to enlarge

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,676
    Rep Points
    3,291.4
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Good runs. Your friend needs to learn his shift points and get quicker on his feet. Tell him to shift at 6100rpm on the 3-4 shift and give him a shot from a 55mph roll so he's in 3rd gear at least and not in 2nd. The 2-3 shift is a slow ass shift as its diagonal and not up/down.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The world...
    Posts
    1,331
    Rep Points
    1,202.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Someone needs to figure out NLS on cobb... curious how much it would have helped.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,676
    Rep Points
    3,291.4
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    Someone needs to figure out NLS on cobb... curious how much it would have helped.
    In the meantime, you can run a wotbox Click here to enlarge works great on my car

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Points
    1,382.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Yeah next time we meet up, we're gonna do a 60 roll in 3rd gear. He's going to shift a little earlier and faster as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Nice run, car pulls away nicely
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,738
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Amazes me how everyone thinks they can shift. Your buddy needs a serious lesson here to make it a race lol.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Points
    1,382.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Amazes me how everyone thinks they can shift. Your buddy needs a serious lesson here to make it a race lol.
    lol, true. I'm pretty sure his shifts can be better, but if i was driving his car, i prob couldn't do any better. I'm terrible.

    Basically the guy who tuned the car (jake) claims the car was on a "base" protune map. Once he makes some more adjustments with a little better footwork by the driver, the race should get real interesting and i might even end up seeing his tailights! Talk about a possible reversal!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Shifting is an art IMO... The auto trans may be more consistent but the manual is always more fun for me.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    915.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Shifting is an art IMO... The auto trans may be more consistent and faster but the manual is always more fun for me.
    Corrected that for you Click here to enlarge

    So the difference lies all in the shift? I have a bit of a hard time believing that. Would be nice to see a Cobb tuned car beat a piggyback for once.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,738
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Corrected that for you Click here to enlarge

    So the difference lies all in the shift? I have a bit of a hard time believing that. Would be nice to see a Cobb tuned car beat a piggyback for once.
    I out trapped and raped every one I raced....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Corrected that for you Click here to enlarge

    So the difference lies all in the shift? I have a bit of a hard time believing that. Would be nice to see a Cobb tuned car beat a piggyback for once.
    Not sure how the $#@! you correct my personal preference dude... But again the auto may be more CONSISTENT but the manual is more fun for me. A properly driven manual will outrun a like equipped auto trans all day long.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    915.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Not sure how the $#@! you correct my personal preference dude... But again the auto may be more CONSISTENT but the manual is more fun for me. A properly driven manual will outrun a like equipped auto trans all day long.
    lol I did not mean to correct your personal preference. Just pointed out that our auto trannys shift faster than most manual drivers do (me included). In a perfect world, the manual could still be faster, but how many drivers can pull off perfect shifts 100% of the time?

    A manual can outrun an auto on a single pull (that's what? 2 shifts...?) but take it to a real racetrack (the one with brake zones and corners) and you'll get owned by every auto car, given the same driver skill. Or can you heel-toe perfectly and rev-match consistently while trail braking into a corner? No offense, but unless you're a pro driver I don't think so.

    Now, I would love to master these techniques myself but I don't pretend to be able to do so. I enjoy the fast and consistent shifts of my auto and focus on the lines and braking.

    So yes, a manual can be more fun and rewarding, but faster, not really.

    Cheers Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Points
    1,382.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Reputation: Yes | No
    The 6mt cars put down more power than the auto cars due to less drivetrain loss. Someone on the other site tried to tell me they make the same power and I lol'd. A properly driven 6mt car will almost always have the edge on an auto.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,738
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Wait did someone just say autos are better on road courses? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    moco, md
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Points
    1,382.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Wait did someone just say autos are better on road courses? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
    I'm with you on that one.

    Click here to enlarge

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    lol I did not mean to correct your personal preference. Just pointed out that our auto trannys shift faster than most manual drivers do (me included). In a perfect world, the manual could still be faster, but how many drivers can pull off perfect shifts 100% of the time?

    A manual can outrun an auto on a single pull (that's what? 2 shifts...?) but take it to a real racetrack (the one with brake zones and corners) and you'll get owned by every auto car, given the same driver skill. Or can you heel-toe perfectly and rev-match consistently while trail braking into a corner? No offense, but unless you're a pro driver I don't think so.

    Now, I would love to master these techniques myself but I don't pretend to be able to do so. I enjoy the fast and consistent shifts of my auto and focus on the lines and braking.

    So yes, a manual can be more fun and rewarding, but faster, not really.

    Cheers Click here to enlarge
    Hold up... You said a manual trans car will get owned on a road course vs a like auto trans car? WTF have you been doing. Its one thing to say that you (Meaning you and not me) cant drive a stick well its another to say that above statement. Try it and get back to me and lets see who gets owned
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,445.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    The 6mt cars put down more power than the auto cars due to less drivetrain loss. Someone on the other site tried to tell me they make the same power and I lol'd. A properly driven 6mt car will almost always have the edge on an auto.
    Not on this platform. These cars are retarded. I almost sold mine purely because if you try to shift fast it bogs. I've bogged every tune, including stock.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    326
    Rep Points
    512.0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    A properly driven 6mt car will almost always have the edge on an auto.
    not with the 335's..or most other forced induction cars for that matter...the auto's are faster then the 6mt's, and its been like that for a while now..its only a matter of time before the conventional manual transmissions become obsolete..these new auto trannies shift so fast, and often times faster than is humanly possible with a manual transmission

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    915.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Hold up... You said a manual trans car will get owned on a road course vs a like auto trans car? WTF have you been doing. Its one thing to say that you (Meaning you and not me) cant drive a stick well its another to say that above statement. Try it and get back to me and lets see who gets owned
    Too bad we live on different continents. Sounds like a fun challenge. And I could certainly learn alot from you as you're obviously a pro Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    915.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Wait did someone just say autos are better on road courses? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
    Cooling issues on the N54 platform put aside: 6MT<6AT<DCT on a roadcourse.

    What's it with people in the US mystifying driving stick? Because 90% of your cars come with autos it makes you special when you master the almighty stick? Click here to enlarge
    Been there, done that. I've driven manual cars for over 10 years. And I don't miss it one bit when I take my auto to the track and change gears at the push of my fingertip Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jerzee
    Posts
    2,306
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Too bad we live on different continents. Sounds like a fun challenge. And I could certainly learn alot from you as you're obviously a pro Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Cooling issues on the N54 platform put aside: 6MT<6AT<DCT on a roadcourse.

    What's it with people in the US mystifying driving stick? Because 90% of your cars come with autos it makes you special when you master the almighty stick? Click here to enlarge
    Been there, done that. I've driven manual cars for over 10 years. And I don't miss it one bit when I take my auto to the track and change gears at the push of my fingertip Click here to enlarge
    Again this comes down to preference in the stick vs auto trans issue... As for push button driving I'll pass I enjoy being able to rev match and heel toe on my own!
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •