• Should be against the rules

23 60.53%
  • Should be free to do so

15 39.47%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Vote on rule change - Should posting PM's be against the rules?

A lot lately members have been posting PM's to use against each other. What is said in a private message really should remain private unless it is some mitigating circumstance.

Should posting of PM's be against the rules? Up to you guys to decide. 2/3 vote against posting of PM's will be necessary to institute this policy as a new rule. We will give voting a week.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A lot lately members have been posting PM's to use against each other. What is said in a private message really should remain private unless it is some mitigating circumstance.

Should posting of PM's be against the rules? Up to you guys to decide. 2/3 vote against posting of PM's will be necessary to institute this policy as a new rule. We will give voting a week.

why the change of thought?

you did it once in the past by posting Vick's (moderater at mbworld) E-mail messages between you and him....

Personally, I'm with you on this one whatever you decide to do. I know that you are a fair person Joseph. ( I did not vote)
    World Fastest (NA) SLS AMG in a Standing 1/2 Mile
    Trap Speed 254.81 Km/hr

Qatar Mile- NOV, 30th 2013
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLS AMG Click here to enlarge
    you did it once in the past by posting Vick's (moderater at mbworld) E-mail messages between you and him....
    I posted Vic's PM to show he had interest in being a moderator here, not to try to get him banned or post racist hate filled messages.

The problem is really people complaining about you, Sirex, and your brother. That is really what it comes down to. I have been incredibly fair but you guys are driving away my users and you don't seem to get it.

Everyone is sick of the bickering. So if a policy change helps, I'm all for it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

hm tough call. We all know the bickering will continue at one point or another. But then again, you could always easily edit the PM when you paste it up here to make it say what you wanna say (seen people do it before).

It does nothing but cause more fighting, Im in favor of banning that lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    perhaps only MB members can't post PMs? they tend to have trouble playing together. Click here to enlarge j/k

seriously, the only confidentiality i've needed via PM has been between me and vendors or sticky. if people are using PMs to justify themselves in an online beef they probably need to be banned for being snitch $#@!es...just my .02

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If u want to be a uncensored forum for all the people that got banned on other forums , then deal with all the $#@! and trouble they bring.
    There probably was a reason they got banned in another place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    perhaps only MB members can't post PMs? they tend to have trouble playing together. j/k
    LOL this may solve everything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by funkmobster Click here to enlarge
    If u want to be a uncensored forum for all the people that got banned on other forums
    This forum isn't for people banned on other forums.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

What is said in a private message really should remain private unless it is some mitigating circumstance.
    This.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    hm tough call. We all know the bickering will continue at one point or another. But then again, you could always easily edit the PM when you paste it up here to make it say what you wanna say (seen people do it before).
    That's a good point - if someone can create a PM to say whatever they want it to (which I guess they can), there should be a way for a mod or admin to confirm the accuracy of what's posted (if it continues to be allowed). Otherwise you just get a continuation of the "he said, she said" incidents going on, with fabricated PMs thrown into the mix to further confuse the issue.

Personally, I don't think the posting of PMs matters much, and almost never happens.

However, I think Sticky should consider creating a list in the "forum rules" area of permaban-worthy violations. Things like creating and posting false quotes or PMs, creating multiple user-IDs from the same IP, hacking another member's account (or attempting to), etc etc. In essence, violations that inherently undermine the integrity of the content, should be cause for a permanent dismissal. IMHO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM Click here to enlarge
    However, I think Sticky should consider creating a list in the "forum rules" area of permaban-worthy violations. Things like creating and posting false quotes or PMs, creating multiple user-IDs from the same IP, hacking another member's account (or attempting to), etc etc. In essence, violations that inherently undermine the integrity of the content, should be cause for a permanent dismissal. IMHO.
    I'll spell certain things out more clearly as it seems to be necessary.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It's PRIVATE message, not PUBLIC message. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

^ agreed. unless there is a really good reason to do so (maybe admin/sticky approved?) - i think they should remain as they are... private.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

hhmm maybe have an option button? most of the stuff in PM i dont care if it gets posted, so i would leave it unchecked, but if i were to say something that i dont want getting out, i check a private box, and it states a message on the bottom that this is intedned between x and y, and any reproduction is grounds for perma-ban

or something to that effect..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    hhmm maybe have an option button? most of the stuff in PM i dont care if it gets posted, so i would leave it unchecked, but if i were to say something that i dont want getting out, i check a private box, and it states a message on the bottom that this is intedned between x and y, and any reproduction is grounds for perma-ban

or something to that effect..
    Ugh too much extra programming.

It's a private message by default.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ban. Simple,it's private!!! Unless is very important to clear up an issue. I know I wouldn't want some of my PMs out there. Most I don't care about but there's a few that should stay between a-b.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

then ban them

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I say just discipline people based on their behavior...I think you are getting too detailed and setting yourself up for more work with more rules. The culture will evolve if you get rid of racists and morons alike. Note: I'm not singling anyone out; I actually have no idea about these incidents in question.

Of course, I've never even read the rules here because I don't act like a 18 year old girl on my period...

: P

So I voted "no" based on the fact that I don't think you should need to police posts for PMs and then verify valid PMs vs. modified ones, etc. What a nightmare.

I think it's cool you put it to a vote though. Never seen an admin do that on any web board.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    I say just discipline people based on their behavior...I think you are getting too detailed and setting yourself up for more work with more rules. The culture will evolve if you get rid of racists and morons alike. Note: I'm not singling anyone out; I actually have no idea about these incidents in question.

Of course, I've never even read the rules here because I don't act like a 18 year old girl on my period...

: P

So I voted "no" based on the fact that I don't think you should need to police posts for PMs and then verify valid PMs vs. modified ones, etc. What a nightmare.

I think it's cool you put it to a vote though. Never seen an admin do that on any web board.
    I agree with this more than anything. I prefer to take it situation by situation. I will put something about posting of PM's though in my updates rules depending on this vote of course.

I like for the members to be involved especially in policy change. The forum is for the community ultimately. The first forum I ran was literally all based on the members voting, was a pretty interesting atmosphere to say the least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

If you choose to tell someone in prvt and he tells the world then u shouldn't be entrusting him with secrets in the first place. If he broke your trust live with It because that's life.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    "but...*sniffle*... but he won't stop calling me names... look at this meanies PM"

bullying is a serious issue guys or so my nephew tells me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Ugh too much extra programming.

It's a private message by default.
    Private is private. Doesnt matter what the conversation is about most know how to act and what is ethical and what is unethical. You have a duty to weed out the trolls as you see fit with out making it public.. public views varry allot
    Click here to enlarge
    Drives: Basically a pretty bad ass f250 lifted with 24" wheels! Dpf delete 4" exhaust h&s tuner and intake..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

My vote goes to Should be free to do so since some members say something in the public which differs sometimes from a private message, if the person is really honest he would say it on public though.

^
    ^

This reply isn't for arguing and I won't reply any one quotes it, I just stated my opinion and that's all, Come on negative rep me now huh !

Another question to @Sticky , when are we going to be allowed to make our own ignore list in our threads so we can choose certain members not to posts in it ?

Thanks

Peace
    Fastest Mercedes in the Gulf & the Middle East