Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Datalogging & Cobb

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @AltecBX ,

Essentially you can do WOT without worrying about the kick down. Clean good logs, WOT at 2500 with AT.
    Thanks man. I appreciate it.
    I'm definitely doing this today or tomorrow to go take more logs. This makes perfect sense for AT to make that perfect log when pro tuning, look for bad timing, E85 maps, etc. I wonder why I havent really seen this more with people with AT. I guess a lot of them are not logging. But this looks like it will give you clean logs 100% of the time. If I was PFT, Burgertuning, or VishnuTuning I would be selling this along with their tune for their AT costumers.
    335xi Sedan 6AT || Weather(45-60°F)
    -PROcede Rev. 2.5 ~ v5 (3/17 maps) / JB4 (8/21 maps) / COBB (Stg2+FMIC LT Agressive maps)
    †Procede Map2(UT 45 - IGN 40) Aggression Target 2.0 (93 Octane) || 0-60 in 4.0sec
    †Cobb E30 LT (35% Ethanol/65% 93 Octane) || 0-60 in 3.9sec
    AR Design Catless DP || BMS DCI + OCC || ETS 5 FMIC || Alpina B3 Trans Flash || 235/265 19" Michelin PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AltecBX Click here to enlarge
    Thanks man. I appreciate it.
    I'm definitely doing this today or tomorrow to go take more logs. This makes perfect sense for AT to make that perfect log when pro tuning, look for bad timing, E85 maps, etc. I wonder why I havent really seen this more with people with AT. I guess a lot of them are not logging. But this looks like it will give you clean logs 100% of the time. If I was PFT, Burgertuning, or VishnuTuning I would be selling this along with their tune for their AT costumers.
    Yeah just one of those things where not enough demand. If you google kick down and BMW I am sure you will find that e90 thread where a guy made a fixed solution with a parts list. Under 10 bucks I think. But I didn't want a fixed solution I wanted to be able to remove when needed.

PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Hey guys,

please have a look at my logs.

It looks to me that my HPFP is making a dive and is going bad.
    Had a 2FPF while running Stage0 and breaking in my clutch.

Installed Stage2+ Aggr today and made some logs. Code didn't come back but still looks to me like its giving out. Cars still pulls stronger than ever.

I have an appointment with my dealer on tuesday, but without codes I think he will do nothing.

I would like to start the eTune with Dzenno.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys,

please have a look at my logs.

It looks to me that my HPFP is making a dive and is going bad.
    Had a 2FPF while running Stage0 and breaking in my clutch.

Installed Stage2+ Aggr today and made some logs. Code didn't come back but still looks to me like its giving out. Cars still pulls stronger than ever.

I have an appointment with my dealer on tuesday, but without codes I think he will do nothing.

I would like to start the eTune with Dzenno.
    Definitely looks like HPFP is going out. Just to confirm, but how does your LPFP pressure look when your HPFP is under target? If your LPFP isn't getting enough fuel to the HPFP it will cause it to drop pressure.

MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Ok I will add the LPFP parameter to the log list.

Was my first log since installing Stage2+ again and wanted to be sure if Timing and everything was still ok. But 0 timing corrections on all Cylinders and AFR with 12,2 looks great to me.

Also I always had those post shift timing corrections before. And now with the SMFW and the new Clutch seems it has cleared up just fine. Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Btw. datalog3 was 4th and 5th gear.

Also startup was very bad the last 2 weeks (cold start took about 10 seconds). but the last 2 days was like nothing ever happened.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yeah, all signs are point to the HPFP taking a crap. The good news is, like you said, the logs otherwise look good. Once you get the fuel system in good order i'm sure Dzenno will be able to get you running even better.

MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, all signs are point to the HPFP taking a crap. The good news is, like you said, the logs otherwise look good. Once you get the fuel system in good order i'm sure Dzenno will be able to get you running even better.

Here is quick one. Its raining like hell and not really much more that I could do.
    I'm not sure how the LPFP pressure should look like, but I think rollercoaster style is not the way to go.

72 psi would be the pressure it should hold during the pull, right?

Will do more when the weather clears a bit.

datalog1.zip
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    Here is quick one. Its raining like hell and not really much more that I could do.
    I'm not sure how the LPFP pressure should look like, but I think rollercoaster style is not the way to go.

72 psi would be the pressure it should hold during the pull, right?

Will do more when the weather clears a bit.
    Actually, that is how a LPFP log is supposed to look. It's PWM so it supposed to bounce around some. The important thing is that it doesn't dip below 50psi and stay there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Okay thanks for your advice.

Then I will get me a new HPFP.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Hi Guys,

Mind taking a look at my log again? I just had my car in to the dealer for the recall and then reinstalled the cobb so I thought I'd take some quick logs. 3rd gear pull. 6,500ft above sea level on cobb stage 1 sport map. 91oct. Looks like I may have some timing being pulled on a couple cylinders, but I'm not sure I'm reading it totally right.

Thoughts?

TIA.
    Rich

datalog14.zip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Bump. Any thoughts on my above log?

Thanks!
    Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, you have timing corrections across multiple cylinders .... You'll want to decrease timing in those areas by 1 degree and see if that fixes it ... or you can add a couple gallons of e85 if it's available to you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge

Thanks!
    Rich
    Just by you saying 91 is enough to think its too Agg. Take a look at the update post from rader1 on timing corrections. Haven't looked at your logs yet, more or less speculation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Thanks!
    Rich
    There is more timing corrections going on than i like to see. Like Jeff said, you can either back the timing off(no fun) or if you're lucky enough to have access to e85 you can throw in a couple gallons and see how it looks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks everyone. Since I'm not an expert in ATR, I went ahead and just backed down from the Stage1 Sport Map to State1 Drive Map. Attached is that log. It looks like I'm still getting some timing corrections right after the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, even with the lower strength map.

I'm getting close to 45k miles, but only about 1-2k of those have been tuned. I'm about to change my plugs - could that be part of what's causing the issue? Or am I just getting some $#@!ty 91oct (which seemed to be fine before)?

Thanks again.
    Rich

datalog18.zip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thanks everyone. Since I'm not an expert in ATR, I went ahead and just backed down from the Stage1 Sport Map to State1 Drive Map. Attached is that log. It looks like I'm still getting some timing corrections right after the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, even with the lower strength map.

I'm getting close to 45k miles, but only about 1-2k of those have been tuned. I'm about to change my plugs - could that be part of what's causing the issue? Or am I just getting some $#@!ty 91oct (which seemed to be fine before)?

Thanks again.
    Rich

datalog18.zip
    at 45k your right at SP maintenance due. Yes that could be a possibility. Drive is perfectly fine for ACN 91, I've been thought it my self. But each car is different. My coils are still good at 60k, only had 1 bad one, so I would change your plugs, most change at 20k min. For tuned cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

at 45k your right at SP maintenance due. Yes that could be a possibility. Drive is perfectly fine for ACN 91, I've been thought it my self. But each car is different. My coils are still good at 60k, only had 1 bad one, so I would change your plugs, most change at 20k min. For tuned cars.
    Thanks! I'll be getting the plugs done shortly under the maintenance program. Do you think that could be the cause of the timing corrections? Especially since they are on some cylinders and not others? I also have access to E85, so I'm going to start mixing that as well.

Thanks for the fast reply.
    Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thanks again.
    Rich

datalog18.zip
    looks like you have minor Throttle Closures right at 4800, appears to be in 2nd gear. Then again in third, when you were climbing back up in RPMs. Your timing corrections are fine rule of thumb is 3.38 across three or less cylinder isn't necessarily a bad thing.

really try and get a log from 2500 RPMs to 6500 RPMs in 3rd gear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thanks! I'll be getting the plugs done shortly under the maintenance program. Do you think that could be the cause of the timing corrections? Especially since they are on some cylinders and not others? I also have access to E85, so I'm going to start mixing that as well.

Rich
    3 Gallons of E85 Pump and you can run S1 Agg. my friend. You'll never go back. here is a good graph that i like to share. NOTE: this a just a Virtual Dyno Graph, other vehicles and conditions will vary results.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Rich
    If you're gonna add E85, just make sure you also monitor your Short Term & Long Term Fuel Trims (STFT/LTFTs) to make sure you're not maxing out the fueling system (34% in the Data Log = Maxed Trims). By maxing out the trims, it's likely you'll lean the car out, which is never a good thing when running aggressively.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

looks like you have minor Throttle Closures right at 4800, appears to be in 2nd gear. Then again in third, when you were climbing back up in RPMs. Your timing corrections are fine rule of thumb is 3.38 across three or less cylinder isn't necessarily a bad thing.

really try and get a log from 2500 RPMs to 6500 RPMs in 3rd gear.
    +1
    The overboosts themselves could potentially be a source of the timing corrections. In my experience the DME doesn't like overboosting at all and timing usually suffers when it happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Here's something i put together this morning. Again, corrections/incite from more learned members are more than welcome!!!

OK, so here are some of the most common issues encountered in Data logs. I've already discussed what these channels are above^ so i'll just be showing what the actuall graphs look like and just the important information. I'll be circling the problems(when applicable) in red.
    Timing Corrections
    This car is running the stage 1 Sport map on 91 ACN fuel. There are timing corrections throughout the whole pull and at times on all 6 cylinders. These corrections are repeated every pull.
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...ections1-1.jpg
    This is how the timing looks on the same car during the exact same pull with all those corrections.
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...ontiming-1.jpg
    So, what to do about it? Well, That depends on the cause of the corrections. Consistant timing corrections isolated in 1 or 2 cylinders is most likely a result of a mechanical issue. Routine maintenance(plugs, coils, injectors, port cleaning) can usually take care of or greatly reduce coorections caused by this. However, corrections like those above are almost certainly caused by running a tune more aggressive than the fuel will allow. This can either be fixed by running a less aggressive map OR if you happen to be lucky enough to have access to e85 then you can begin experimenting with e85 mixes to eliminate the corrections.
    This is the same car, running the exact same map in similar conditions on a ~80/20 mix of ACN and e85 and the corrections are gone and the tiiming is exactly where the DME wants it.
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...tionsfix-1.jpg
    Boost Leak
    A boost leak is, fortunately, very easy to detect. The DME is hyper sensitive to boost leaks and will usually throw a P30FF code. This is not a 100% guarantee that a small leak(or a leak at the right place) will trigger a boost leak code thats why looking at requested and actual load will give you a heads up if you believe you have an issue. This leak will appear as an inability to hit requested loads. This car is running the stage 1+ aggressive map and at times is 50 points below load target and 4+psi below requested boost. The way virtual dyno scales data doesn't show how big the difference between requested and actual really is. That's when paying attention to the actual values becomes important(or use excel for a more visual heads up.)
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...oostleak-1.jpg

Throttle Closures
    Throttle closures are usually caused by 1 of 2 things. Traction control induced or in response to overboost. The DME will use the throttle plate to trim the boost to requested levels and are a huge concern. If a large overboost is detected it will slam the plate shut. These are the throttle closres that you can feel. Keep in mind that the TMAP sensor in PRE throttle plate so that during the throttle close the boost will spike due to the restriction created in the charge pipe. Whats important is immediately before and after the throttle closure.
    This is an example of a throttle closure trimming the boost a little. TPS actual goes from 81% to 72%.
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...ttletrim-1.jpg
    Here is an overboost induced throttle closure. Boost mean overshoots Requested boost by about 1PSi and then the DME reacts by dropping the TPS to ~50%. This spikes the boost during the closure but as soon as the throttle plate opens back up the boost is dropped to just under requested.
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...Closures-1.jpg
    Thanks everyone for the response.

Radar1 - you mention above that throttle closures due to overboost are a huge problem. Can you elaborate on that? It sounds like a sticking wastegate may be my overboosting problem? Could it also be due to being at 6,500ft of altitude?

Thanks,
    Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for the response.

Radar1 - you mention above that throttle closures due to overboost are a huge problem. Can you elaborate on that? It sounds like a sticking wastegate may be my overboosting problem? Could it also be due to being at 6,500ft of altitude?

Thanks,
    Rich
    It's normally not a mechanical issue that causes overboosts, it's just an over aggressive mapping of the WGDC base table.

When the DME sets a requested boost target it will reference the the WGDC base table and then use the PID tables to help dial the boost in. When the base table is too aggressive it will overboost before the PID can pull enough DC out to fix it and cause a throttle dip or closure.

You can log boost setpoint factor and MAF req wgdc and then take that information and go about dialing the base table back a little bit in ATR to fix the problem. If you have any questions check out the ATR discussion sticky(it's been covered there a couple times in the last few pages) or please feel free to PM me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

I just got my Cobb AP this week and now I am hunting a 30FF code. I have some ideas about how to troubleshoot this, but I want to use the data from my logs to help me find the most sensible place to start.

Below are two logs, one from Stage0 and one from Stage2+FMIC Drive. I threw a 30FF on the Stage2 map, but not the stage0 map. I am completely WOT the entire Stage0 log, but over boosting looks to be giving me throttle closures.

What I find interesting is during the Stage2 pull, boost initially climbs to the target, and PID looks to start cutting WGDC to prevent overshoot, but then boost falls, and WGDC goes up to compensate, but it seems to have no effect. The DME gives up at about 50% WGDC and throws the code at about 5500 rpm.

So in my complete lack of experience, I have no idea what a log would look like if the 30FF was caused by a vacuum problem, a leak in the charge piping, or out of adjustment waste gate actuators. If anyone has logs of their under boost problems, and the solution to those problem, that would be exactly the kind of information I am looking for.

Thanks.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

you have a leak, check all your vacuum lines first. than all the usual chargepipe and ic connections.
    07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina B3 Flash

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast