Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks man. I looked into getting the ribbon working on office 2011 this morning but surprise, surprise, microsoft did not use .xml for the mac version of office. That means no custom user ribbon tabs.... Bummer

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    @Zasquatch , great stuff buddy...just tried the 1.4 for OSX, works really well...1.5 doesn't show the button to grab the log but I guess that's a compatibility issue with OSX...i'm running Office 2011 by the way

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Can you upload this?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dfv2 Click here to enlarge
    Nice contribution radar!!

I have a spreadsheet that single click loads a csv and analyzes timing columns 1-6, if timing in any cell (time vs cylinder) is less than the max timing any of the cylinders it auto formats it yellow. If it's more than -2 it formats it orange, if more than -4 it formats it red. It also greys out lines of data that are less than 80% TPS so you can see throttle closures and pick out WOT easy.

It's simple and SO useful on the road. Anyone interested in using it? If so I'll clean up the code and attach it here. Screenie of stock mapping, demonstration purposes of course:

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...mingdrop-1.png
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

@Dfv2
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Identifying a boost leak

rader1,

Reading your examples above, i am reviewing my logs to understand Requested Load and Actual Load. if there is a delta, does that automatically mean a boost leak? I didn't record boost means abs so i am not sure if i can accurately tell if there is a leak or not?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 Click here to enlarge
    rader1,

Reading your examples above, i am reviewing my logs to understand Requested Load and Actual Load. if there is a delta, does that automatically mean a boost leak? I didn't record boost means abs so i am not sure if i can accurately tell if there is a leak or not?
    No, a small difference is perfectly normal. In fact, depending on how load target is set, it can be impossible go hit load target. 10 points is about normal for most people. Its when you're 25-30 points below target, or see actual drop off largely & quickly when target remains constant. The biggest clue however, is you will almost certainly get a 30FF if you have a boost leak.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Its not about req. vs. actual load. Its about Request Boost Absolute (DME's boost target, what its programmed to hit) vs. Boost Mean Absolute (what its actually achieving as read off the TMAP sensor, in absolute pressure...to get sealevel see the Boost column or subtract 14.7psi from absolute)..

Deviation in these two values will give away a boost leak (i.e. boost mean absolute consistently being lower than requested)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Its not about req. vs. actual load. Its about Request Boost Absolute (DME's boost target, what its programmed to hit) vs. Boost Mean Absolute (what its actually achieving as read off the TMAP sensor, in absolute pressure...to get sealevel see the Boost column or subtract 14.7psi from absolute)..

Deviation in these two values will give away a boost leak (i.e. boost mean absolute consistently being lower than requested)
    That's very true, req and mean boost are the preferred ways of looking for a leak.
    However, actual load is based on boost and if you're having an under boost issue you will see it in actual load.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    That's very true, req and mean boost are the preferred ways of looking for a leak.
    However, actual load is based on boost and if you're having an under boost issue you will see it in actual load.
    Load doesn't only represent boost so a deviation there can be normal behaviour depending on where you've set that load compared to everything else that has been setup (e.g. limits/compensation tables)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm pretty new to the Bimmer Scene and to the N54. So I'm still learning new things every day. After a lot of help from rader1, enrita and all the others in e90-post I landed here because some fellow N54 comrades fell in the line of fire Click here to enlarge

I must say this is a really great Forum. Thanks to all who help people like me. Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

So now my question:

In some situations during WOT my car hesitates for a moment. Its really strange because on the logs it doesnt show, at least i don't see it.
    TPS looks good, Boost is ok, actual load looks fine to, no codes, no misfire, STFT also ok.
    I would post a log but I'm not allowed yet (not enough rep points or something).

And this only happens in higher gears. 1-2-3 is no problem at all. 4th gear is 99% ok but in 5th I get this quiete a lot. The only thing which sometimes shows up is some Timing Correction, mostly 1 Cylinder for ~1.
    Could this be my problem? Is it possible to feel 1 of Timing Correction?

Greetings from Munich!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    @lorddrinkalot, you should have enough rep to post some logs now, which really we need to look at in order to tell whats going on.

Welcome to the forum Click here to enlarge
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks guys!

So here are the logs.

2012-09-20 Stage 1+ Aggressive ST V402.zip

Stage1+FMIC Aggressive V402 Stock Throttle with Aral Ultimate 102RON

Datalog 7:
    This should be 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.
    Here I have those mysterious post shift timing Correction.

Datalog 8:
    5th or 6th gear only. Can't remember. But looks good to me!

Datalog10:
    3rd gear only

I think this one looks best. The Charge Air Temp's are low so the timing is a bit higher than with the other logs!

Amazing how hot the CAT's get if you push the car high speed, espacially if you go through 3 gears or more.

Next time I will do some until Redline.

I hope I have time this weekend to test the E85 stuff. When all the timing corrections go away I would be very happy.
    Maybe then I can go for a eTune@PTF.

edit:
    Oh sorry forgot to set the COBB AP to the correct values. Temp and Boost will be Celsius and mbar!
    Last edited by lorddrinkalot; 09-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    BMW 335i xDrive MT
    COBB Stage2+|Wagner FMIC|CPe-Downpipes|BMW Performance Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The logs look good. You've already stated you are aware of the issues with the CAT's, and you understand this will effect timing. The post shift timing corrections are an issue that most of us are experiencing.

You could definately gain some quicker spool and more power with an etune, especially if you plan on running an ethanol mix. Even on the pump gas, gains can be made and they should be able to tune out the post shift timing corrections. Maybe give a shout out to Protuning freaks if you're interested.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thank you very much for your opinion.

I have another question.

My butt-dyno is pretty sure that my car pulls harder when i go 90% Throttle instead of going WOT. Especially when accelarating from 80mph to about 110mph.

Does this mean my Cylinder Timing under WOT is not aggressive enough? Or could this have anther reason, like too much boost under WOT but just right under 90% Trottle?
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lorddrinkalot Click here to enlarge
    Thank you very much for your opinion.

I have another question.

My butt-dyno is pretty sure that my car pulls harder when i go 90% Throttle instead of going WOT. Especially when accelarating from 80mph to about 110mph.

Does this mean my Cylinder Timing under WOT is not aggressive enough? Or could this have anther reason, like too much boost under WOT but just right under 90% Trottle?
    you should log all by default with psi as well and no mbar. everybody is used to see the US way.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Hi guys,

Installed my CPE downpipes last Weekend(with Sportcats). So I have some new logfiles. Can someone please have a look if everything is ok.

I think that it looks quiete good. 1 Throttle closeure @4200RPM. Could be because I did not disable Traction control. When I have more time I will do more logs. I think timing looks ok but not sure.

How about STFT, LTFT and WGDC Values? I dont think I understand those completely

Following Map is installed:

Stage 2+ Sport ST V402
    2013-01-03 Stage 2+ Sport ST V402.zip

Regards
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Hi guys,

Installed my CPE downpipes last Weekend(with Sportcats). So I have some new logfiles. Can someone please have a look if everything is ok.

I think that it looks quiete good. 1 Throttle closeure @4200RPM. Could be because I did not disable Traction control. When I have more time I will do more logs. I think timing looks ok but not sure.

How about STFT, LTFT and WGDC Values? I dont think I understand those completely

Following Map is installed:

Stage 2+ Sport ST V402
    2013-01-03 Stage 2+ Sport ST V402.zip

Regards
    I'll take a look at the log when I get home.

As far as STFT, LTFT and WGDC:
    STFT(short term fuel trims)- the immediate supplemental fueling provided by the DME to hit AFR.
    LTFT(long term fuel trim)- the long term results of the STFTs. The goal is to have LTFTs as close to 0 as possible.
    Fuel trims can add up to 34% fueling to hit targets before maxxing out.
    WGDC-how much time the waste gates spend closed compared to open. The higher the WGDC the harder the turbos are working.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

@lorddrinkalot

Your logs looked really solid. The throttle closure was overboost induced, but honestly it was pretty minor and i wouldn't be too worried about it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

@rader1:

Thank you for checking.

The LTFT's with 6 to 10 are still ok?

So I'm good to try aggressive Map?
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

@lorddrinkalot, I apologize to bring this off Topic, but how do you like the exhaust note with the CPE Catted downpipes and the BMW PE?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

@rader1:

Thank you for checking.

The LTFT's with 6 to 10 are still ok?

So I'm good to try aggressive Map?
    The LTFTs are good. As long as they're below the mid 20% you're fine.

Yeah, you should definitely give aggressive a try.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

@lulz_m3

There is a little drone during cold start and cruising 60mph@6th gear but thats gone when the cats are warm. for my taste its loud enough and when the exhaust is hot after some pushing at higher speeds it sounds really great.

Tone is not as raspy as cattless DP's and its deeper. Its possible to hear the Turbos during spool-up but not to much to get the attention of law inforcement. I really like it.

But be aware that I still use the E90 centre muffler. So with E92 or BMW Performance Cross-pipe it will get much louder.

I will try to do some vids and post them in the "Exhaust Thread"

@rader1:
    Thanks for your help. Awesome as always.Click here to enlarge
    BMW 335i xDrive MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

@lulz_m3

There is a little drone during cold start and cruising 60mph@6th gear but thats gone when the cats are warm. for my taste its loud enough and when the exhaust is hot after some pushing at higher speeds it sounds really great.

Tone is not as raspy as cattless DP's and its deeper. Its possible to hear the Turbos during spool-up but not to much to get the attention of law inforcement. I really like it.

But be aware that I still use the E90 centre muffler. So with E92 or BMW Performance Cross-pipe it will get much louder.

I will try to do some vids and post them in the "Exhaust Thread".
    Cool, thanks. I currently have the PE on my E92 with catless downpipes, midpipe cats deleted and resonators welded in their place. It sounds mean, but quite raspy. I've been thinking about trying to go catted downpipes to get rid of the rasp, just hard to justify the $$.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Hi Folks,

I just received my Cobb today and installed it on my 2010 335i Step with no other performance modifications (running 91oct). I installed map Stage 1 Sport; I'm at ~6,500ft of altitude.

Would someone mind taking a look at my logs? Based on what I read above (BTW - AWESOME write-up), I think I look pretty good, but I thought I'd better ask the experts.

BTW - gotta love the Cobb AP! Very, very impressed so far and I'm just on the "baby" maps Click here to enlarge

Thanks in advance!
    Rich

datalog3.zip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Hi Folks,

I just received my Cobb today and installed it on my 2010 335i Step with no other performance modifications (running 91oct). I installed map Stage 1 Sport; I'm at ~6,500ft of altitude.

Would someone mind taking a look at my logs? Based on what I read above (BTW - AWESOME write-up), I think I look pretty good, but I thought I'd better ask the experts.

BTW - gotta love the Cobb AP! Very, very impressed so far and I'm just on the "baby" maps Click here to enlarge

Thanks in advance!
    Rich
    Looks pretty good. Was traction control off? There was a pretty severe throttle closure but it looks to be traction control induced.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Looks pretty good. DO you have traction control off? There was a pretty severe throttle closure but it looks to be traction control induced.
    I did have it all off (held for 3sec). I hit a pretty good bump right near the start though which I may have slightly lifted when that happened. Is there anything else that could cause that?

BTW - because I'm at such high altitude, I was vaguely thinking of trying the aggressive map (93oct) still on 91oct since you can usually run one grade of gas lower up here - what do you think about trying that? Clearly I'll log, but if you think it is a dumb idea to even try based on what you see in this sport map log, I won't even give it a go.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Rich

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast