Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    No two people drive their cars the same way. There are a lot of people on internet car forums, whose heavily modified car's stock components hold up just fine. Too often, you find some wannabe maverick out there bragging about the reliability of his rarely driven garage queen. Whereas the rare few, like enrita, who are out there pushing their cars, also have the nuts to report back when their stock components fail, so as to better inform the community.
    Those with 80k miles on their cars are hardly rarely-driven garage queens. I put 28k miles on my car in the 18 months I've owned this E90 (39k miles now), all of those miles at least FBO + meth. I don't beat the piss out of my car, but I open it up (160 MPH sometimes) a decent amount. A decent amount means hundreds of 60-120 runs datalogging, maybe 20-30 drag strip pulls, 20-30 highway pulls to 140 mph, etc. In those 28k miles, my tranmission has held up beautifully. And I flushed the ATF at 32k miles when the RBs went in and the fluid was pristine which leads me to believe it was a waste of money.

The bottom line here is, drive it hard, but in moderation. You don't need a Level 10 transmission upgrade to run 16 psi on stock turbos like you suggested; that is a true waste of money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    You are missing the one guy who actually took his car to level 10 first, and that was LM. Steves was the prototype setup, whoever has that car now is lucky.
    The difference is LM got his money's worth out of the stock transmission (80k miles worth) before he went and got it rebuilt. This Turkeybaster guy is suggesting that someone build the tranny when there's nothing wrong with it. Two different scenarios.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    You are missing the one guy who actually took his car to level 10 first, and that was LM. Steves was the prototype setup, whoever has that car now is lucky.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    You learn something new everyday.

LOL, goddamn Enrita, stealin half my fame this whole time!?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    The bottom line here is, drive it hard, but in moderation. You don't need a Level 10 transmission upgrade to run 16 psi on stock turbos like you suggested; that is a true waste of money.
    That's a waste of money? but he should go FBO+RB's with stock AT, cuz of your garage queen? Click here to enlarge

A decent amount means hundreds of 60-120 runs datalogging, maybe 20-30 drag strip pulls, 20-30 highway pulls to 140 mph, etc. In those 28k miles, my tranmission has held up beautifully.
    and how do you expect me to respect all that Junk you wrote, without one single mention of an actual day at the track?
    Last edited by Turkeybaster115; 07-18-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

And I flushed the ATF at 32k miles when the RBs went in and the fluid was pristine which leads me to believe it was a waste of money.
    With what, the overpriced stock cough syrup? What's the kinematic viscosity of that fluid? 5.6? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

That's a waste of money? but he should go FBO+RB's with stock AT, cuz of your garage queen? Click here to enlarge How do you expect me to respect all that Junk you wrote, without one single mention of an actual day at the track?
    99% of us don't take our cars on a road course. Your point?

28k miles in 18 months is a garage queen? Really? That's daily driver mileage.

I'm sorry, but that simply doesn't make sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

99% of us don't take our cars on a road course. Your point?

28k miles in 18 months is a garage queen? Really? That's daily driver mileage.

I'm sorry, but that simply doesn't make sense.
    I've driven my car almost 4 times father than you, but with about 20 FULL track days. If you know anything about our car, you'll know how much abuse it takes on the track. I was one of those who started the thread on limp mode, at the track on E90queer.com Also, I was the first dude to do an AT tranny flush, and post picks of the fluid (took a lot of heat from lifetime fluid, dealership trolls), and did the most research on tranny fluids.

Just FYI, that $25/quart ZF lifeguard6 you flushed with is:

1. Thin fluid, intended for max gas mileage, not anytime of hard driving
    2. Re-labelled motor craft mercon SP, which ford uses in it's vehicles, and retails for $3/quart

At least use castrol multivehicle ATF, like 99% of dudes on E90gay use, and at least you will have much thicker, viable fluid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

@LostMarine How many runs at the dragstrip do you think you did before your AT let go? How many street runs from a dig? Did you always launch in 2nd?

Also Shiv has on his website an option for a different AT fluid for his single turbo, anyone know what fluid he's using?

As far as rebuilding the AT before its toast, even Level 10 has said not to rebuild it until the AT breaks. I don't ever do runs from a dig, primarily just highway runs. I will want to take her to Famoso at least once when I get RB's, but think as long as I keep most of my thrashing done on the freeway or from a roll the AT should be fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    @LostMarine How many runs at the dragstrip do you think you did before your AT let go? How many street runs from a dig? Did you always launch in 2nd?

Also Shiv has on his website an option for a different AT fluid for his single turbo, anyone know what fluid he's using?

As far as rebuilding the AT before its toast, even Level 10 has said not to rebuild it until the AT breaks. I don't ever do runs from a dig, primarily just highway runs. I will want to take her to Famoso at least once when I get RB's, but think as long as I keep most of my thrashing done on the freeway or from a roll the AT should be fine.
    as soon as starts shift harshly and rpm rises a lot during shifts its time to upgrade it. than suddenly it will fail to shift to upper gear. mine did not want to shift into 5th anymore on full power
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge

1/4 runs? had to be over 100

I only did 2nd gear launches on 2 different days

20/40-125mph runs to log? thousands

from JB2 days all the way up until i sold it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    1/4 runs? had to be over 100

I only did 2nd gear launches on 2 different days

20/40-125mph runs to log? thousands

from JB2 days all the way up until i sold it
    Sounds like a garage queen to me......lol jk

I agree that you need to let the tranny go before rebuild or at least once it starts to really slip. Level 10 will want to tear down the trans and replace the failed parts, they will also want to see if anything else was damaged by the tranny failing.....it really makes no sense rebuilding a perfectly good tranny. This isn't the same as building a engine up to handle more boost/power. The cost won't be more by waiting for the trans to fail, if anything it could be more when you replace parts before they fail...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I am using this one , so far so good.
    Click here to enlarge
    http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=115&pcid=9
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

So @Turkeybaster115 what did you determine to be the best fluid to run. im 77000 and need to change mine. Dont want to overpay for something not needed butwant whats best for my tranny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jzeee037 Click here to enlarge
    So @Turkeybaster115 what did you determine to be the best fluid to run. im 77000 and need to change mine. Dont want to overpay for something not needed butwant whats best for my tranny.
    You should just get OEM fluid. This is what has been recommended by ZF engineers. Mine seems to work fine as well though but my trans only has 10K after rebuild so who knows...
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12