Close

Thread: BMW AccessPORT v4.02 Beta Maps Available - Boost Oscillation Fix

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

BMW AccessPORT v4.02 Beta Maps Available - Boost Oscillation Fix

Click here to enlarge

COBB Tuning has just released a new BMW N54 AccessPORT Off-The-Shelf Map revision that addresses the boost oscillation some users have experienced. These new v4.02 Beta maps have been used by alpha testers and have been shown to eliminate boost oscillation and produce very smooth power delivery. The new v4.02 maps are available immediately for download in the BMW AccessPORT Off-The-Shelf Map Database.

This boost oscillation was noticeable in some vehicles with Stage1+ and Stage2+ modifications. Data logs of this scenario show repeated boost oscillations above and below the target boost the ECU is attempting to achieve. Changes in tuning strategy have been found to eliminate this issue and these changes have been incorporated into all Stage1+ and Stage2+ v4.02 Beta Maps. Similar to the v4.01 Beta maps, the v4.02 maps will stay in Beta while we collect end-user feedback from the community. Once widespread user feedback is confirmed, the maps will be promoted to General Release and will supersede v3.01 maps.

Please send map performance feedback to bmw.experts@cobbtuning.com. For instructions on downloading and transferring these new v4.02 Beta maps to your AccessPORT, please see our Step-By-Step Map Download and Transfer Guide.

If you have any questions about the AccessPORT and AccessTUNER, or any other COBB Tuning products, please call us at 866-922-3059. Get up-to-date product announcements, sneak-peeks of upcoming products, and the latest COBB Tuning news through our COBB Tuning Mailing List. You can always be a part of the latest conversations with COBB Tuning by tuning in to our facebook.com/cobbtuning and twitter.com/cobbtuning pages.
    Last edited by COBB Tuning; 07-11-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

Good stuff!
    Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuningfreaks.com

1721 E. Lambert Rd. Unit C, La Habra, CA, 90631
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Thanks for the update!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

There you go guys...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

A simple md5 checksum indicates that the 4.02 beta maps differ from the 4.02 Alpha maps.

Team CobbTuning: what are the differences between the alpha and beta maps?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

A not-as-simple table by table comparo shows thorough rework of most of the WGDC tables as compared to the alpha map I got from someone on e90

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Thanks for the update cobb cant wait to try out the new maps!!
    08 335i | Space Gray | Burl Walnut Wood Trim | Sport pkg | Premium Pkg | LOGIC7 | Navi | Comfort Access

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A simple md5 checksum indicates that the 4.02 beta maps differ from the 4.02 Alpha maps.

Team CobbTuning: what are the differences between the alpha and beta maps?
    Its likely a change of data which occurs in the transition from Alpha to Beta.
    Jason@COBB
    BMW R&D Calibration Guru

Website | Forums | Blogs | Facebook

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pho_e92 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the update cobb cant wait to try out the new maps!!
    Welcome! Let us know what you think!

Cheers!
    Jason@COBB
    BMW R&D Calibration Guru

Website | Forums | Blogs | Facebook

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

I just got my car protuned using the new v4.0 maps....u guys nailed it! The car rips so hard, smooth as butter. Stay tuned for my thread with more details of the protune!

Evolve Supercharged ///M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Installed this v4.02 map in my 2010 335xi Auto (IJEOS)last night and have a question:
    FYI: I'm running 40% E85 & 60% 93Oct

LTFT are in the 30-35% range.. I noticed the requested HPFP values were a bit bigher than acutal HPFP values in the higher rpm's. Is this normal?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Try running a fatter pump gas mixture to keep it below the 34% side.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Installed this v4.02 map in my 2010 335xi Auto (IJEOS)last night and have a question:
    FYI: I'm running 40% E85 & 60% 93Oct

LTFT are in the 30-35% range.. I noticed the requested HPFP values were a bit bigher than acutal HPFP values in the higher rpm's. Is this normal?
    You're maxing your long term fuel trims (LTFT). These will be maxed out due to the system being run with fuel that isn't scaled properly within the DME as E85 requires 30% more volume to satisfy fuel demands than gasoline. If you're persistent on running E85 at this time you should lower your E85 concentration. What are your STFTs when LTFTs are peaking at 30-35%? Maybe post up a datalog and we can review.

Cobb's alternative fuel research and development on the N54 which has been under way for some time should resolve some of these concerns once completed and released so maybe you can lower the mix concentration until then to keep it safe.
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    You're maxing your long term fuel trims (LTFT). These will be maxed out due to the system being run with fuel that isn't scaled properly within the DME as E85 requires 30% more volume to satisfy fuel demands than gasoline. If you're persistent on running E85 at this time you should lower your E85 concentration. What are your STFTs when LTFTs are peaking at 30-35%? Maybe post up a datalog and we can review.

Cobb's alternative fuel research and development on the N54 which has been under way for some time should resolve some of these concerns once completed and released so maybe you can lower the mix concentration until then to keep it safe.
    I switched from the JB4 last night so I will datalog some tonight and post up.
    Why isn't the DME increasing fuel pressure to meet the target thus lowering the fuel trims?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

I switched from the JB4 last night so I will datalog some tonight and post up.
    Why isn't the DME increasing fuel pressure to meet the target thus lowering the fuel trims?
    Because its not programmed to do so. Fuel pressure could be recalibrated to be higher under load but that is not the most elegant scenario as it taxes the fuel pump. More pressure also doesn't mean linearly more pressure (eg. 40% higher pressure doesn't mean 40% more fuel volume).

If you wish you can get your own copy of ATR and try raising the fuel pressure in the high load cells.
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Because its not programmed to do so. Fuel pressure could be recalibrated to be higher under load but that is not the most elegant scenario as it taxes the fuel pump. More pressure also doesn't mean linearly more pressure (eg. 40% higher pressure doesn't mean 40% more fuel volume).

If you wish you can get your own copy of ATR and try raising the fuel pressure in the high load cells.
    I'm running the base map right now but just downloaded a copy of ATR.. The base map is requesting more FP but the car is not hitting the target. I have to go thru the map but is this somehting that can be adjusted or is this a mechainical issue?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

I'm running the base map right now but just downloaded a copy of ATR.. The base map is requesting more FP but the car is not hitting the target. I have to go thru the map but is this somehting that can be adjusted or is this a mechainical issue?
    Your HPFP and/or the LPFP may not support the requested pressures required and may be weak. Who knows really what it is but the fact is that with that concentration of E85 on your car the fuel system is pretty much at its limits given its current programming and its telling you to either run less E85 in the mix or adjust your tuning to be less aggressive on that E85 mix.
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I will lower the mixture until Cobb figures out the alternative fuel research.... I will also finish up the Aquamist HSF4 kit tonight where I will run 100% methanol so that will in turn lower my fuel trims some..

Can you give me an idea of what pressures you normally see the stock programming support?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

I will lower the mixture until Cobb figures out the alternative fuel research.... I will also finish up the Aquamist HSF4 kit tonight where I will run 100% methanol so that will in turn lower my fuel trims some..

Can you give me an idea of what pressures you normally see the stock programming support?
    Stock programming calls for 20MPa down to 12MPa at 135 load or higher (highest load cell/row scaling). A few months ago before Cobb came out with the MAF fix that solved fuel support I remember testing with upped pressure at 20MPa across the board in the 135 load cells. I don't recall how the actual hpfp pressure kept up against requested at high load but I also don't recall seeing any issues as I'm sure I would have noticed them. I'm also running the very latest 1M HPFP pump so that may be the reason why.

How old/new is your HPFP? Ever replace the LPFP?
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Stock programming calls for 20MPa down to 12MPa at 135 load or higher (highest load cell/row scaling). A few months ago before Cobb came out with the MAF fix that solved fuel support I remember testing with upped pressure at 20MPa across the board in the 135 load cells. I don't recall how the actual hpfp pressure kept up against requested at high load but I also don't recall seeing any issues as I'm sure I would have noticed them. I'm also running the very latest 1M HPFP pump so that may be the reason why.

I purchased the car a few weeks ago and I remember asking but will check with BMW again and ask them to look over the previous owners service docs to see if it was replaced or not.. Car only has 22k miles..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Is there any coding or software updates that need to be done when upgrading to the 1m HPFP?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Is there any coding or software updates that need to be done when upgrading to the 1m HPFP?
    If your car has old software that doesn't cycle the HPFP to prime it when unlocking the car then it'd be good to take it in for programming with the new pump. If you can hear the car priming the pump on unlocking the doors then you most likely have the software already and its just a swap.

In any case, no software update is "required" for the new HPFP. Its just good to have it if you don't already.
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I'm running 50/50 E85/93 and using 60/40 meth/H2O and my fuel trims are under 10%. Finish your meth install and the car will be happy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

If your car has old software that doesn't cycle the HPFP to prime it when unlocking the car then it'd be good to take it in for programming with the new pump. If you can hear the car priming the pump on unlocking the doors then you most likely have the software already and its just a swap.

In any case, no software update is "required" for the new HPFP. Its just good to have it if you don't already.
    Thanks for the info! I have the 933 pump and it does prime the fuel pump when unlocking the doors so sounds like I'm good to go.