Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

VF Engineering VF540 Supercharger Kit for S65B40

VF Engineering has been hitting the E9X M3 market pretty hard as of recently. It's great to see another company enter the community with strong force. Popular for their VF620 Supercharger Kit that set some incredible times on the 1/4" and 60-130mph, there are finally some publicly posted DynoJet data of what their entry level VF540 Supercharger Kit can do.

Not everyone needs over 600hp or wants to make the big jump right away, some want to ease there way into the exponential extrapolation of power. This is one reason why I see these non-intercooled kits being rather hot selling and popular. My understanding is that ESS Tuning were the only other company to have a non-intercooled kit out there. Looks like they are no longer alone.

According to VF Engineering's website, the kit is rated at 4-4.5 psi, utilizing the Vortech V3-SQ, and priced at $8500. The advantage that I see from this kit over other competitors is that they utilize the same manifold as their high end VF620 kit. This may potentially lead to much more affordable upgrades to an intercooled version with simply less hardware to swap out and change. Rated at roughly 540hp and 370 ft/lbs, European Auto Source (EAS) recently posted some independent DynoJet dyno graphs.

Please note: All photos and dyno graphs are property of European Auto Source that have been sourced from another public forum.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Original link to the thread that EAS started can be found here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716654

My personal opinion and observation. With VF-Engineering's great reputation, I see this being a popular and intriguing option for a lot of M3 owners. It still provides a substantial amount of power for the cost of what some people spend on all bolt ons and tunes. My worry with any non-intercooled kit is obviously heat soak and controlling IATs. I don't know how VF Engineering approaches their tuning, but I noticed that they started their kit with a very conservative psi which is comforting. If tuning is done well, then IATs, heat soak, and power loss may potentially be minimal.

What should be noted based off that posted dyno graph is that drop in power on the topend. I don't know what could be causing that, the reason behind, and if that's even normal. I was expecting to see a constant and smooth pull to redline like the VF620, so hopefully this isn't a normal characteristic of the kit. For some of the vendors here who sell VFE products, I'm sure many of us would like to know if this should be expected or not.

I am looking forward to see what more data will be public in the future.
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now that is how you make a thread. Fixing the attachment.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Now that is how you make a thread. Fixing the attachment.
    Thanks Sticky! I was trying to figure out how to remove that attachment and you beat me to it. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sick! Upgraded route is pretty badass too. They were late to the game, but definitely playing to win

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Sick! Upgraded route is pretty badass too. They were late to the game, but definitely playing to win
    Agreed. I am hoping more people get this soon because I am more interested in seeing how this controls heat soak and IATs. I know a few have done "heat soak" tests of the ESS VT1-535 on the dyno, so it would be pretty cool to see a comparison.

Also knowing how easy it is to throw in an aftercooler in the manifold, it would be great to see how just simply adding the cooler will effect consistency and efficiency.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

EAS posted up new dynos in different Correction Factors.

SAE Correction Factor:
    Click here to enlarge

STD Correction Factor:
    Click here to enlarge

UNCORRECTED Correction Factor:
    Click here to enlarge

By very quickly eye balling the graph and comparing it to the ESS VT1-535, the VF540 is making more power throughout the whole midrange, but dips down after 7700RPM. Regardless, this car is making more torque than the one VT1-535 I quickly compared it to. My assumption, this VF540 may be quicker and more fun to drive for sure! Take that with a grain of salt considering that I am only post two isolated cars and dynos which is probably no where near enough to generalize anything.

Well done VF Engineering...well done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    460 wheel SAE... not bad. Nice alternative to the ESS kit as they had no competition in the low end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    EAS posted up new dynos in different Correction Factors.

By very quickly eye balling the graph and comparing it to the ESS VT1-535, the VF540 is making more power throughout the whole midrange, but dips down after 7700RPM. Regardless, this car is making more torque than the one VT1-535 I quickly compared it to. My assumption, this VF540 may be quicker and more fun to drive for sure! Take that with a grain of salt considering that I am only post two isolated cars and dynos which is probably no where near enough to generalize anything.

Well done VF Engineering...well done.
    the ESS graph you looked at, was that through stock exhaust?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the ESS graph you looked at, was that through stock exhaust?
    Actually now that I look back at it, the car had an Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust on there. I decided to hop onto the Bimmer Tech DynoDatabase and I saw a member that also used 91 Octane and just a muffler.

This data is even more interesting. Power and torque curve wise, they look fairly similar in delivery from 2500-5500RPM. Then from 5500RPM-7500RPM the VF540 starts to make some bigger power, specifically at 7500RPM you see nearly 25whp and 20wtq! Then sadly the VF540 takes a nasty fall from there to redline. If this car would pull smoothly to redline, it would be much better. I wish the .drf data of the VF540 kit was publicly posted so I could overlay them.

Please Note: DynoJet .drf data downloaded from The Bimmer Tech DynoDatabase. These dynos were done at a different dyno than EAS so take the comparison very lightly and in no way definitive or generalizable.

User Name: Blotman
    Modifications: ESS VT1-535 at 6psi, Arqray Muffler
    Transmission: 6MT
    Fuel: 91 Octane

Click here to enlarge

Last edited by flipm3; 07-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that says 6 psi as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that says 6 psi as well
    Yup! Although, ESS has advertised similar numbers with 4.5psi somewhere online. ESS does have a smoother curve though which is nice, especially at those very last few RPMs up top.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    eh, your talkin just a few ponies, nothing major. Im sure improvements are a never ending process too.

Either way, I have that gut feeling we will see some good data coming out in the following days

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    eh, your talkin just a few ponies, nothing major. Im sure improvements are a never ending process too.

Either way, I have that gut feeling we will see some good data coming out in the following days
    Oh yeah, definitely agree. I hope we see more data. What ends up winning a race is who can put down more power throughout the whole powerband. I know everyone loves to see that nice peak power, but I'd much rather have a kit that puts down less peak power, but more area under the curve, and have it be consistent beating after beating after beating.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    and have it be consistent beating after beating after beating.
    I dont think anyone can doubt VFs ability to be consistent through beatings, with what they do to the 620 kits on road course and winning several events, VF has a grasp on how to build these kits. I expect nothing less from the 540 kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I dont think anyone can doubt VFs ability to be consistent through beatings, with what they do to the 620 kits on road course and winning several events, VF has a grasp on how to build these kits. I expect nothing less from the 540 kit
    Agreed!

The good thing about all the current supercharger kits are that they all have their good merits and advantages. The AA kit has been very successful in One Lap of America, so that is a great testament to their consistent power. I hear that a lot of track guys are happy with their ESS kits, but I don't think I recall any used in road course events. I do know that the some of my friends and other shops that use their E46 M3 kit have suffered some heat issues. Ginatani's kit has also been getting a lot of hard use on tracks all over the world.

Ultimately, I am very excited to see what Evolve Automotive does with their kit. My interpretation of how they are engineering their kit is with absolute consistency and reliability. With how they build everything from the bracket to the coating of their parts, you can tell that they are taking every measure to control IATs and heat! It's great to see this competition among all these companies because it pushes them all to work at their best. Unfortunately there is drama, but I guess these days it's rather inevitable. All I know is that I am glad I don't have the extra funds to drop on an FI kit. I have a lot of time to see everyone throw everything out on the table and then I can pick and choose, haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well Steve should have some real time data to put out there for blowers very shortly Click here to enlarge

I like the way the kit looks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    well Steve should have some real time data to put out there for blowers very shortly Click here to enlarge

I like the way the kit looks.
    And by she, I mean, he. And by, he, I mean, Steve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol, not waiting on me anymore Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol, not waiting on me anymore Click here to enlarge
    Dang it...haha. There better be someone else competent enough to provide independent data for another kit that I'm lusting over. There is no way I can afford a supercharger kit anytime soon with everything else I have to take of.

Either way, I can't wait to see what you do BIG power!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BIG power wont come until next year, im just getting started...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm looking FW to selling some 540 kits. We have sold 620 kits to people in the USA and Middle East who hammer the F out of their cars. Look at my Facebook and Youtube channel to see how our clients in Lebanon roll ;-) We have been running it all day at our Joey G / VAC track days (opentrackdayevents.com) with no issue. We ran Monday and it was closing in on 100 degrees - not a problem. Even though I don't have all AiM data to prove it (lol) I'd we probably have more road course time on our car than anyone with a SC E92.

Our shop car is down for R&D (not SC or engine related), but once it's back we will install the latest VF calibration. We are still running the one from the fall of 2011...I hear the latest calibration is even more amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like a good staged approach to a pretty nice build up. I was trying my best to not go there but options like this make it hard.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DCTM3 Click here to enlarge
    Looks like a good staged approach to a pretty nice build up. I was trying my best to not go there but options like this make it hard.
    Why not go there?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly...They are making it hard to NOT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why not go there?
    I was thinking the same thing! The VF kit has been good to us. We have 100s of laps at NJMP with our car - not 1 issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast