Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry. I could not fix the thread LINK in time. I can not get back in and edit it so the link is correct.

So, HERE is the correct link for that thread in April 2012. Post #38 is where you find the HPF statement about discontinuing the Okadas from all HPF Stages.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...g+plugs&page=2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bdave Click here to enlarge
    On April 19, 2012 Chris from HPF posted this:
    "After running the Okadas for 3-4 years, we've switched to the OEM coils on all stages of our turbo kits. Both of the HPF drag and track M3s are running OEM coils. The Okadas were one of the main reasons our dyno graphs looked a little rough at smoothing=0. The spark energy from the Okada coils wasn't enough for the dyno to read and certainly not enough for these cars at higher power levels. But the OEM coils work just fine at power levels above 1,000rwhp."

HPF NO LONGER RECOMMENDS OKADA COILS for their cars.
    HPF also recommends a VERY expensive Denso RACING spark plug to go with the OEM coils. Evidently the non racing version has porcelain cracking issues on really high boost cars.

Chris's post is #38 in this thread. The thread is six pages long of alternatives to Okada coils. There are many. If you have a set of Okadas and are happy with their performance then keep them. HPF did not issue any sort of recall. They found a better way for the reasons he specifically STATES in his post. By the time you end up buying those racing plugs it is not a ton cheaper. List price is really high, and bargains are not easy to find.

Apparently it is extremely important in really high boost cars to keep your coils as COOL as possible. Unfortunately the fix is VERY expensive. The custom coil cover that HPF sells is an efficient RAM AIR design at a whopping price. You can always try and mod your own cover. I just wrangled the very BEST price I could with them and got something we know will work. I talked with HPF and they did do testing with probes and the temperature drop is radically fantastic. I forget the exact figure, but if you look closely at the design, a LOT of thought went in to it. It beats constantly searching for dropped coils. 30psi and up puts a pretty big strain on the coils.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=916447&highlight=hpf+denso+racing+plugs&page=2

The great thing is getting TORQUE figures back finally. You almost NEVER saw torque values on the other axis of HPF Dyno runs. This was lack of data was ONLY becasue of the Okada coils low spark energy at high boost levels!
    Excellent post, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bdave Click here to enlarge
    Sorry. I could not fix the thread LINK in time. I can not get back in and edit it so the link is correct.

So, HERE is the correct link for that thread in April 2012. Post #38 is where you find the HPF statement about discontinuing the Okadas from all HPF Stages.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...g+plugs&page=2
    Looks good now Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    A lot of M3 turbo car owners are quite happy with their Okadas. I never got the impression that the coarse, uneven dyno curve at high RPM/high BOOST was a significant on the road or track performance issue. But more and more people are moving away from them now. I was shocked to find this out. I was always under the impression that they were the absolute total answer to all BMW ignition needs for all FI applications.

That is turning out to be incorrect. Another example is Pro EFI. Owners can run a lot of boost safely when E85 is used. This has forced Pro EFI to also abandon the Okadas and market their own supply of high output coils.

I do want to stress that if your Okadas are working fine and you are happy with them, then there should be no reason to get rid of them. Just look at all the alternatives and options for BMW M3 coil and plug choices when deciding what to use for a new build. Particularly if you plan on using a lot of boost. I have no idea what boost level they might become a performance issue. They seem to be fine for normal HPF boost levels of 23psi.If you are running 30psi or over then you may want to serioulsy consider some other coil.

Reading some experiences of users in that thread may be of some help.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...g+plugs&page=3

Let me post some quotable quotes!:
    HPF Chris:
    "OEM coils are definitely cheaper and I've always felt the Okada's were priced too high. I've been working with AEM for 2 years now to have a coil made for us for these cars. They have dragged their feet on it and I'm not sure why.

Many companies make a product and call it done. We continue to make advancements on all platforms. New developments are made every day. Better spark plugs became available recently from Denso that are allowing us to run OEM coils without spark blowout. If you take one of our turbo kits that was sold 2 or 3 years ago, several of the parts included in those kits will have changed. It doesn't mean the older kit is flawed or bad in any way. It just means we've found something that is better for some reason. This will continue to happen forever as better parts become available and we adapt our kits to utilize them.

There may come a point in time when we advise people to run some other brand of coil as it becomes available."

Chris.

Providence from Turkey:
    "Just talked to my buddy who fine tuned my car , Okadas start to mis over 1.4 bar that is what we set it atm we tried 1.6 but lots of misfires due to okadas."

Note: 1.4 bar is around 20 psi.

HPF Chris:
    "They are a Denso race plug. The last couple turbo kits we sold got them and all new stage 2.5 kits and above are getting them. They are WAY better with zero porcelan showing so you don't have to worry about the porcelan breaking off. No gapping is required, they allow perfect idle and they don't break up on the top as a result of different coils used. The NGK race plugs we used before would sometimes foul because they were very cold, and we often had to gap them very low. These come at the correct gap.

We still need some longer term testing to make sure they live. Give us a little time on these cars and I'll spill the details later.

Chris."
    Note: The non racing Densos would break their exposed porcelain.
    Last edited by Bdave; 11-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12