Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Post from another thread:
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    One thing that should change the tuning picture with respect to fueling significantly for the N54 is upcoming alternative fuel R&D that we're working with Cobb on. Stay tuned Click here to enlarge
    I know you probably can't discuss specifics or timetable for release yet... but how is this coming?
    When the time comes to get that PTF ATP tune I'd be more than willing to beta test some e85/alternate fueling goodies if need be/possible Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Post from another thread:

I know you probably can't discuss specifics or timetable for release yet... but how is this coming?
    When the time comes to get that PTF ATP tune I'd be more than willing to beta test some e85/alternate fueling goodies if need be/possible Click here to enlarge
    Not sure when any beta maps may be released as its up to Cobb obviously but I'm sure anyone willing to run a beta map will be able to do so as soon as they're announced
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Dzenno, on the stage 2+FMIC ST Aggressive for stock turbos this map was engineered with 93 octane in mind,if one were to use VP MS 109 how much could we increase timing and what other parameters that might be needed buy how much to take advantage of the extra 12 points of octane?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks dzenno. This is a step in the right direction, I'm looking to see what the RBs can do past 20 psi. BTW what were you numbers for log # 2 and 5?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You may not have been on this forum when I started an earlier thread with discussion, dynos, logs but here's a link to glance over (its a bit outdated but its got some info you may be looking for):
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...Dynos-Logs-etc

More stuff coming as we custom tune more cars with Cobb. There's a dyno day up here today and @Bolter is going to dyno on pump gas with his RB setup with catless downpipes, intake and exhaust (stock fmic). Really looking forward to what he pulls off with the car today. His car ran very sluggish before coming to us for custom tuning to the point that I was telling him to compression test his motor and do a boost leak test before we even touch it for custom cobb tuning. He didn't have time and really wanted to dyno on dyno day so we went at it anyways and we were both very surprised with what came out of it Click here to enlarge He was spinning his 20" wheels with 285 rubber out back in 1st, 2nd and later told me he managed to spin them in 3rd as well. We raced an all out piggyback+meth setup on stock turbos and he took off from them on pump gas every time (except for a badly missed shift run heh). Hopefully numbers will confirm what we felt on the street with a pump gas tune. He's also 6MT RWD so drivetrain loss won't impact the numbers as much as Andy1991's 6AT AWD car that made 400whp/400wtq in disgusting 95F weather that was also running pump gas 2 weeks ago.

@Bolter 's getting a CX FMIC and HFS-4 meth kit and then we'll open it up further.

*****Looking forward to setting the benchmark for all COBB users! Click here to enlarge Thanks for the help @dzenno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by harry Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno, on the stage 2+FMIC ST Aggressive for stock turbos this map was engineered with 93 octane in mind,if one were to use VP MS 109 how much could we increase timing and what other parameters that might be needed buy how much to take advantage of the extra 12 points of octane?
    You can probably run stock timings on 100% vp109.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I'd follow an iterative approach. First thing is fill up with MS109. Then drive the car a bit and do a couple 3rd gear pulls with a shift into 4th. See what the timing story is about from the logs and scale up where you can from there. It'd be wrong for me just to throw out a number as every car and conditions will be different and given boost levels on stg2+agg I'd say there is room to play with. Just go up incrementally, once you start seeing timing corrections larger than 4* or more consistently in the same area (load/rpm) happening across 3 or more adjacent cylinders I'd say pull back a bit and relog. I wish I could be more specific but I don't want to mislead you and cut corners. Its better for you to learn to adjust parameters than copy someone else's values which most likely wouldn't work well on your car. Just cranking up timing without repeated testing and monitoring values over multiple runs is a really bad idea IMHO

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Square&Level Click here to enlarge
    Thanks dzenno. This is a step in the right direction, I'm looking to see what the RBs can do past 20 psi. BTW what were you numbers for log # 2 and 5?
    I wouldn't bet on much past 20psi. There may be more torque in midrange to 6k rpm but at the same time they're stuffed in stock housings and high boost will impact their longevity and they will end up going bad. At redline I can safely say that asking for more than 17.5psi on RBs is a really bad idea due to backpressure. Cobb's research there with pressure probes shows 3x higher backpressure on the exhaust side then the intake side at 17psi which is not pretty at all. Imagine 17psi on the intake side, you're getting 51psi in the exhaust manifold acting on that tiny assembly Click here to enlarge

I'd say a safe boost curve to run with RBs, with stock intake pipes as I haven't tried changing those out, definitely won't be over 20psi anywhere. Going outside that will greatly compromise them especially the rear turbo whose turbo intake pipe is severely tapered at the inlet. If you're up for glory runs or records then have at it, make a ballzout map and don't worry about something breaking Click here to enlarge If you're looking for some reliability and longevity don't expect 20psi or higher in boost to be the ticket.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 07-25-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    You can probably run stock timings on 100% vp109.
    Could you give more details, comparisons/explanation on cobb vs stock timings so could properly implement this ?

Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Could you give more details, comparisons/explanation on cobb vs stock timings so could properly implement this ?

Thanks.
    You should follow dzenno advice. But first you need to learn how to use ATR it seems.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I'd say a safe boost curve to run with RBs, with stock intake pipes as I haven't tried changing those out, definitely won't be over 20psi anywhere. Going outside that will greatly compromise them especially the rear turbo whose turbo intake pipe is severely tapered at the inlet.
    Which is why I'll be quite interested in seeing what my modified inlet pipes will add to that mix. Install scheduled for next week.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345