Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Thanks for the update to my M3 to 231 : )

Just wanted to thank Evolve publicly for the free upgrade to BMW software 231. I never expected to be upgraded to the latest OEM software for free; simply to receive a tune, and support, based on my original software (100).

Thanks again gents!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Put this in S65 for more exposure.

Evolve is doing things the right way and glad everyone seems to be thrilled with them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    Just wanted to thank Evolve publicly for the free upgrade to BMW software 231. I never expected to be upgraded to the latest OEM software for free; simply to receive a tune, and support, based on my original software (100).

Thanks again gents!

What is the BMW software 231? I am at work right now, otherwise I would search around for it. Just curious what it gives you. NA or blown?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

its the latest OEM s/w and some have said for it to be stronger, I think even a few dynos floating around showing it to be, but.. it could just be adaptations resetting causing it. either way, im waiting on an email to do the same

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Been testing it. No gains on dyno. AFR went half a point richer with same maps as 180E. Cant quite explain that. Most of gain has to do with sensitivity in the ionic tip strategy allowing better power on worn plugs. Dyno proven here. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Been testing it. No gains on dyno. AFR went half a point richer with same maps as 180E. Cant quite explain that. Most of gain has to do with sensitivity in the ionic tip strategy allowing better power on worn plugs. Dyno proven here. Click here to enlarge
    I didnt think there would be much improvement, but its all the "rage" right now

I think it was only supposed to be better than older versions, like 100 and older, 180 may be too new though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing singletrack! Evolve Automotive has amazing customer service and a very knowledgeable staff. As Sticky already mentioned, they are doing things right! There's a big reason why they are swamped with endless work right now, haha.

Very interesting points. Even Evolve Automotive told me that I shouldn't expect anything, haha.
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

evolve's good stuff too on the s85s ;-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by disruptv Click here to enlarge
    evolve's good stuff too on the s85s ;-)
    Very true! They do AMAZING things with the S85B50. I'm jealous what kind of power they can pull out of those motors, even from just a tune alone!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Appreciate the info as always.

Do you know if they tweaked any part throttle or vanos stuff from the earlier versions? Seems better to me down low - 3-4k. After driving it for a week or so, I don't feel any difference in overall power. Was definitely stronger after the flash...as expected I suppose.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    its the latest OEM s/w and some have said for it to be stronger, I think even a few dynos floating around showing it to be, but.. it could just be adaptations resetting causing it. either way, im waiting on an email to do the same
    Yah, I basically told Sal - "if there is no reason to upgrade, then don't bother sending me the file" ...he sent the file, so I assume there is some benefit of some kind.

Other than what Bren has contributed, I really haven't heard of any technical details on changes from previous versions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

You guys are out of your minds. 231E adds at least 30whp Click here to enlarge

Been using this 231E for a while. Not much difference. Maybe car got a tad better agility in lower RPM's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

definitely going with Evolve when I get an m3
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    Appreciate the info as always.

Do you know if they tweaked any part throttle or vanos stuff from the earlier versions? Seems better to me down low - 3-4k. After driving it for a week or so, I don't feel any difference in overall power. Was definitely stronger after the flash...as expected I suppose.
    None.

Don't follow the BS about stronger file, reset adaptations etc. You can get the same "WOW" change by replacing your spark plugs. These cars are very sensitive to worn plugs, VERY SENSITIVE. All these cars whining about low power on 231E tuned or not, NEED NEW PLUGS. simple as that. My car at 17k miles, was worth 20whp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

None.

Don't follow the BS about stronger file, reset adaptations etc. You can get the same "WOW" change by replacing your spark plugs. These cars are very sensitive to worn plugs, VERY SENSITIVE. All these cars whining about low power on 231E tuned or not, NEED NEW PLUGS. simple as that. My car at 17k miles, was worth 20whp.
    100% agree as well. I don't have the dyno proof but you definitely can feel it. I just got my E90 M3 back from the dealer a couple days ago. I got an oil change and new spark plugs. The car has been feeling so strong the past few days. I thought for a second that the dealer flashed my car with a secret 261E software haha.

I have the 231E sitting in my harddrive right now. I might flash it tomorrow to see if it makes any difference...although my expectations are rather nil.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Have over 300 dyno pulls on my car. It lost 20awhp around 16.5k miles. Went back to 399-400 max, nothing changed. Pulled my hair out did 100 diag tests. Logged timing, no knock but erradic timing logs. Ionic tips tweaking out. So I replaced plugs, 418-419-422whp. Flashed to 231E. AFR targets went into the high 11s. Weird. Cleaned it up and went to my friends dyno dynamics for fun, 427whp. Haven't been back to our original 422 dynapack. Will do soon though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Have over 300 dyno pulls on my car. It lost 20awhp around 16.5k miles. Went back to 399-400 max, nothing changed. Pulled my hair out did 100 diag tests. Logged timing, no knock but erradic timing logs. Ionic tips tweaking out. So I replaced plugs, 418-419-422whp. Flashed to 231E. AFR targets went into the high 11s. Weird. Cleaned it up and went to my friends dyno dynamics for fun, 427whp. Haven't been back to our original 422 dynapack. Will do soon though.
    Bren, is the s/w dme specific? meaning if one guy has the file, and we have the same loader, can other people load it or does it need to be adjusted for each dme/ serial # ect?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

That's a pretty substantial amount of power. Kind of sucks to have to maintenance spark plugs so often.

Do you think the BMW/Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner will help keep them clear? Or is there no association between the two, haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

None.

Roger. Thanks again for the real world data.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

@singletrack

are you catless or any mods?
    I went back to Evolve stg 2 tune today and the car feels more powerful in all rpms, even seems to drive and shift smoother, not as notchy/clunky as when im on stock s/w.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

@singletrack

are you catless or any mods?
    I went back to Evolve stg 2 tune today and the car feels more powerful in all rpms, even seems to drive and shift smoother, not as notchy/clunky as when im on stock s/w.
    Only relevant power mods: Fabspeed HFCs and X-pipe with Akra rear; MS SII intake; BP or Shell 93 octane. At some point I'm going to recreate my build thread here that is on m3post; just need to have a boring day first ; )

I haven't requested the new tune yet; giving it another week just to be sure everything is cool before changing something else. I believe the Evolve tune for the HFCs is simply a slightly modified version of the catless/stg2 tune. I did notice the performance difference on their 100E based tune. However, I did need a slight fueling revision at one point as well.

Weather is so brutal here right now; it will be difficult to notice any changes in this heat. Hit 102F on the car sensor yesterday and that was cruising at 65mph! Ugh.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

temps are same here, thats why I havent been trying to snag the 60-130 record I know the car has in it, i think temps were 101 yesterday, DA is +2k ish

im guessing your 6MT, not dct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

temps are same here, thats why I havent been trying to snag the 60-130 record I know the car has in it, i think temps were 101 yesterday, DA is +2k ish

im guessing your 6MT, not dct?
    Yup 6MT.

I might pick up a VBOX eventually...I think it would be fun. Just have some stuff on the list before then...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

My car is still under warranty - but am guessing this wouldn't be covered unless something is wrong. On the same note, I had my stereo go out while driving back from a trip. I read on a forum to pull a fuse, and this fixed it - however have now read that this firmware update has a fix for this (so it won't happen again). I am wondering if this is all I need to say - or if by me "fixing" this myself and it now being okay, they will not be able to cover it.

I was going to replace my plugs anyways, and I need to get my motor mounts replaced - so would like to get this done at the same time, just don't want to pay 2-3 hours of shop time for a computer to dump bits to my car. Anyone know if they will just flash this to latest if under warranty?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    My car is still under warranty - but am guessing this wouldn't be covered unless something is wrong. On the same note, I had my stereo go out while driving back from a trip. I read on a forum to pull a fuse, and this fixed it - however have now read that this firmware update has a fix for this (so it won't happen again). I am wondering if this is all I need to say - or if by me "fixing" this myself and it now being okay, they will not be able to cover it.

I was going to replace my plugs anyways, and I need to get my motor mounts replaced - so would like to get this done at the same time, just don't want to pay 2-3 hours of shop time for a computer to dump bits to my car. Anyone know if they will just flash this to latest if under warranty?
    When my car was getting warrantied services done the other day, I actually called them up and asked if they could do the 231E upgrade. My SA told me that they are not allowed to do it at the moment since I didn't mention or complain about it earlier. He did tell me though to schedule another appointment in the future and just complain of "problems" and he would make sure to order in a full update of my modules and DME.

I would recommend you have your dealer do it especially since you actually have a reason to bring it in and you are warrantied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast