Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    I beliee Vishnu made 415 wheel with intake on e85. Not crapping on anyone's party... but I would like to see a flash do this. I understand there is more to tuning but numbers speak for themselves.
    That's a great number for just an intake for sure. Was a baseline ever provided on the same day on that dyno? Regardless, we're very excited about E85 as well. Too bad we don't have it readily available up here in Canada and I'm jelly of you guys in the US with the abundance of E85 seemingly everywhere you go. We'll start a lobby with the federal government, no other way about it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I beliee Vishnu made 415 wheel with intake on e85. Not crapping on anyone's party... but I would like to see a flash do this. I understand there is more to tuning but numbers speak for themselves.
    Vishnus numbers are typically inflated and not able to be replicated. You should always take a vendors numbers with a grain of salt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

and joshboody is a very active supporter of vishnu and attacks any competition. just to be clear..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    and joshboody is a very active supporter of vishnu and attacks any competition. just to be clear..
    Has he stated any non-factual data in these posts? Pointing out the shortcomings of a vendors product doesnt always have to be negative, it helps inform the community.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

yes, stating his prefered method, which is coincidentally shivs method, as superior, is false

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

yes, stating his prefered method, which is coincidentally shivs method, as superior, is false
    Pretty sure that same method worked well for you my friend...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Pretty sure that same method worked well for you my friend...
    yes it did,
    did we show it was better or worse?
    is it the only way to do it?
    did i not contact jake to get a custom tune as well?
    have we shown it to be the best and only way to do things?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

yes it did,
    did we show it was better or worse?
    is it the only way to do it?
    did i not contact jake to get a custom tune as well?
    have we shown it to be the best and only way to do things?
    No but i dont see an issue in pointing out the shortcomings. My car is inconsistent as $#@! on boost control, doesnt bother me that much though. First WOT pull of the day i wont hit requested boost, i might on the 2nd or 3rd. I doubt my car will be any better once i get protuned. Really makes me miss controlling boost off wastegate springs. This is the first car ive owned that controls boost based on load, but until i actually see the benefits of load based tuning i would prefer to target PSI. Must really suck that your supercharger doesnt run dynamic boost on your M3...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    Great numbers! I know @Salg might want to do a Pro tune at some point or another. Hes just waiting to do RBs and hes done Click here to enlarge

Man this makes me wanna get a 335 again Click here to enlarge
    I dont have enough to rep this lol, but this is so true! I cant wait to get back to working on the car again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jhershorin Click here to enlarge
    Guh lots to comment on here but I spent about the max time I can on the forum while at work. I'll have to get to this when I get home and update this post.

What I will say now is that I am a bit surprised to see your response. I jokingly offered to protune you (marketing but wasn't serious) and followed that up with saying i would walk you through it for FREE via email or gchat if you wanted to learn how to do it. I am not sure how that can be misconstrued as marketing. If it came off that I was trying to sell you something I apologize - I thought offering you free services was pretty nice. That leads me to think you have alternative motives which throws you into the procede camp. There is nothing wrong with thinking one tune is better than another. Its all opinion. My opinion is that its better to set the table values instead of scaling them with a piggyback or altering the signal of the o2's to get them to think they are running lean so you can add more fuel. Boost targeting is convenient but in the end load tuning is very consistent, reliable, safe, and elegant. Six one way half dozen another depending on who you ask apparently.

Sorry if that comes off as mean but I guess I am a bit shocked that in offering you free help to get a curve you want to see appeared as marketing to you.
    May have used the wrong wording, but stating that we are “not suppose to” hit load targets seems to be an explanation for tuning inability then the actual goal. There is a starting point and an end goal. Anyway, thanks for the offer but I don’t want to have a one on one discussion about ATR at this time… I’m hoping it will be more communal in the near future. There are others that would benefit much more in having this discussion, as they would be better equipped in experience to share. There’s plenty of people that will want a pro-tune, but many that want to DIY... helping both parties openly will be beneficial to all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    can anyone write a detailed and in depth with examples explanation of how to read data logs?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A tutorial on the all the various logs would be beneficial.
    I'll post up a DIY I did elsewhere here on the basics. I'm in no way a dzenno, jhershorin, themyst or anywhere near an expert or anything. Its just based on observations I've made based on all the logs I've seen and some supposition.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Numbers are nice. There is no chance the dyno I use would show those numbers. I use the dyno I like to tune on because it is consistant, load based, and packed with features that help tremendously when tuning a car. Unfortunately it happens to read very low. A stock turbo car will typically not hit 400whp no matter how many mods it has (shy of nitrous). Fully bolted stock tune was like 247whp. Alot of the west coast dynos we've seen flirt or peak over 300whp stock tune.

I don't get upset, angry, or emotional in my posts. I don't really like the vendor status because it makes people think i have something to sell at all times. I have a full time job providing care for those who had traumatic injuries while serving for our military that changed the course and quality of their life. Tuning is how i escape what i see every day at the office. I will always post in a factual manner. I don't let opinion, ego, and emotion get in the way of providing factual answers. If someone has information better than what I have to offer I am always ready to learn.

Tuning strategy is purely opinion. My opinion is that I would like to run boost that is efficient for that rpm range. I don't care if it is a flat curve. If it peaks and fades. If it slowly ramps in. I want the car to perform and the logs to show the car is happy running the parameters I set. I've tuned piggybacks, standalones, flashes, etc. I chose what I feel is superior for that platform out of what is available (based on my opinion).

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    I'll post up a DIY I did elsewhere here on the basics. I'm in no way a dzenno, jhershorin, themyst or anywhere near an expert or anything. Its just based on observations I've made based on all the logs I've seen and some supposition.
    I will be posting a big blog post this evening. I finished writing it but haven't proofed it yet. If you want to take a look and make changes shoot me an email and I'll send it to you. I wrote it pretty quickly so I'd love some help buttoning it up!! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    No but i dont see an issue in pointing out the shortcomings. My car is inconsistent as $#@! on boost control, doesnt bother me that much though. First WOT pull of the day i wont hit requested boost, i might on the 2nd or 3rd. I doubt my car will be any better once i get protuned. Really makes me miss controlling boost off wastegate springs. This is the first car ive owned that controls boost based on load, but until i actually see the benefits of load based tuning i would prefer to target PSI. Must really suck that your supercharger doesnt run dynamic boost on your M3...
    Definitely a great idea to point out and bring up anything you may feel needs improvement/refinement on and of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, it got me banned on e90post 3 times as I kept pointing out the shortcomings on a piggyback which I ran religiously on my car until it just didn't work the way I wanted/needed. I got banned, but what followed? Rev 2.5, more fuel through a base flash, stacking piggies on flashes, a great single turbo kit and more kits possibly down the road. I always keep on open mind towards refinement and improvement and always try to push for more, somewhat similar to what you're describing here too.

In terms of tuning, there are advantages to both methods of tuning and I'd like to not go there again. We all know at this point that both have their pros and cons and different people will prefer different approaches in the end. As long as you're happy with it in the end is all that matters. I don't think there is a single N54 tune on the market today that can meet every single demand of every user/enthusiast in every possible way or situation. My current preference is with a flash for reasons of direct fuel and timing control. I'd also like boost to be simpler to calibrate but, having had enough seat time with it, I feel that I have a good grasp on it so far and it is what works for me very well today.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    May have used the wrong wording, but stating that we are “not suppose to” hit load targets seems to be an explanation for tuning inability then the actual goal. There is a starting point and an end goal. Anyway, thanks for the offer but I don’t want to have a one on one discussion about ATR at this time… I’m hoping it will be more communal in the near future. There are others that would benefit much more in having this discussion, as they would be better equipped in experience to share. There’s plenty of people that will want a pro-tune, but many that want to DIY... helping both parties openly will be beneficial to all.
    @JoshBoody , depending on how your wastegates (hardware) are setup (looser vs. medium vs. stiffer) and how the wgdc tables (base, various pid tables, adder, and limits) are setup you may be following the requested load curve or not. In most cases given OTS maps, load will be below requested. Calibrating those tables will allow you to change the boost profile.

Its odd you're refusing our one on one assistance given the tone of your comments and feedback here. We have a blog and will keep posting up updates as we go, whenever we can and we'll bring that content here as well as it can only be improved upon through more discussion. We have no desire in keeping anything "secret" or under the wraps from anyone. I know that you've followed my posts in the past and do know that all the info I've brought into the community I've done for open discussion reasons and for search of "facts". I get excited like a 5 year old whenever an improvement is made anywhere on this platform for f* sake Click here to enlarge We're here to help tune N54s where people don't have the time to spend on the forums day in/out to learn like some of us. It requires a lot of dedication, learning, discussing, constant tinkering with their car with a laptop on the passenger seat or in their wife's/girlfriend's lap and knowing what it is they need to do or NOT do to keep it reliable. Most people just want a fast, reliable and consistently strong performing car, period. For the rest of us that find joy and escape from your typical every day roundabouts on here and in the car we're here to keep the discussion going in an open way and help push the platform further.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 07-18-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Agreed I am not sure vishnu provided a baseline for the 415 wheel run but their product is strong no matter how you look at it. I would like to see two FBO cars in a side by side race with identical mods and tranny on pump 93 go head to head in like a 50-120 race. One flash protuned and the other pushing a piggy... I think this would tell us all a lot. Logs attached would help even more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Agreed I am not sure vishnu provided a baseline for the 415 wheel run but their product is strong no matter how you look at it. I would like to see two FBO cars in a side by side race with identical mods and tranny on pump 93 go head to head in like a 50-120 race. One flash protuned and the other pushing a piggy... I think this would tell us all a lot. Logs attached would help even more.
    Not like this would be difficult, especially now that ProTuning (and majority of ProTuning prob going with E85 mapping too) has become so popular. Just need 2 willing participants Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

shiv's maps and dynos that he uses for marketing are always balls-out tunes. That 400HP 91oct/meth dyno which illustrated how everyone needs his PWM system was with the OEM intercooler and stock DP's. Would I run that everyday? No thanks. And no one else should either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

^ That's why the main thing to always do is request to see a baseline or a delta against something well known/established on the same dyno possibly same day...i've seen up to 30whp dyno variance for these cars from stuff posted on the forums on the same drivetrain same boltons...when you couple in RWD vs 4WD into it then you've got another ~10-12% drivetrain loss to count in by the time the power is translated to the ground...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234