Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

BMS OCC install , not entirelly according to plan

I ordered the BMS OCC half april, when I saw the results of it's performance in a thread right here somewhere.
    It was lying around in my house waiting for the first good weather weekend to install this.
    Needless to say we were having a lousy spring over here.

But I had a trackday at Spa Francorchamps on the 21st of june. And I wanted it installed before that.
    So saturday june 16th, after a morning of rain, when the sky cleared in the afternoon I got my tools and set to work for wat was prommised to be a 1,5 hour job.
    How hard can it be, right?
    I also had to reinstall the BMS speed delimiter while I was in there, so I would do both jobs in one go.
    Disassebling was a breeze.
    After some fiddling the OEM hose came off. Installing with the DIY was really straight forward.
    After installing the OCC hoses I put some zipties on just for some peace of mind, even though the DIY said it would not be nessacerry.

Click here to enlarge

The OCC was installed not touching anything. I was quite pleased Click here to enlarge
    I Dremelled a piece out of the engine cover just to make the reinstall easier.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

I then reinstalled the Speed delimiter. This was going to be a walk in the park.
    When I finished that and wrestled the DME lid back on it was time to reassembe the car.
    That was where it became a little bit difficult.
    The big cover plate that comes on top of all this would not go into place. It rested on the aluminum bracket and the Allen screws holding the OCC in place.
    When I tried to massage the plate into submission, the center plactic lip broke off. Click here to enlarge
    This was going sideways.
    So I went in the shed, found some stainless steel and emergency repaired the plate so it would still stay in place.

Click here to enlarge

It didn't look pretty, but it did the business. I put some silicon kit on top of the screws to prevent leakage and rust. Did not make a pic of that...

Then I had to remove the bracket and find another way to hold the OCC into place.
    While removing the screws I accidently dropped the Allen key, which fell all the way down untill it rested on the engine bay bottom plate Click here to enlarge

Great. Fortunately lying on the ground I could reach it with a telescopic pen with a magnet on top through the hole of the left front wheel. 15 more minutes gone.
    Dinner time. Eat first. Calm down. After dinner I went into the shed and made a bracket which holds the OCC to the bar without taking room on top of the bar, and also dropping the OCC by 2 cm.
    It was a Q&D job, so I just made some pics to register what I'd made. I did not polish the bracket, so it looks welded up (which it is).

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

This zipties with 3 zipties to the bar, and it does this really well. The OCC does not move, and it allowed me to reassemble the car without further delay.
    It is quite light as well. The wood ant the neoprene work as a stopping /dampening block and was the lightest solution I could come up with.
    And finished it before end of daylight.
    Sunday, again, it rained...
    Spa by the way was absolutely awesome Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by DavidV; 07-02-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Have a look on those two pics and I think you'll understand why it didn't fitted.
    If you install it as in the second pic I'm pretty sure it will not touch the cowl. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Here's how it should look like:

Click here to enlarge
    GT-R R35 ​coming up...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Big Tom Click here to enlarge
    Here's how it should look like:
    Damn.
    With the hose length provided I assumed it had to go where I had it. The bent hose did not give much room to play with.
    Never tried to maneuvre it into the spot you indicate. Not sure why. Not sure if the OCC would then be touching the plastic air inlet located underneeth?
    I guess the second set of holes would then come in handy indeed. Mmm, mindfart.
    I still have the bracket.
    I'll give this a second try when I empty the OCC in october.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

There should be enough room there to slide things around, move the bolts, and get the cover on. It's normal for the two allen bolts to just touch the plastic cowl as you seat it. But, really any bracket mounting system will work. I used a zip tie to the strut brace for weeks without issue. So if the bracket you made is working well for you I would not worry much about it.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I ran into the same issue as OP (without snapping off a mounting tab). I too thought the stiffness and length of supplied hoses limited me so I used the OCC mounting bracket as a hanger and zip tied it in place under the strut brace directly below where I originally tried to mount. Plan to switch over to velcro straps in the near future but I am content with this and it does give another inch or two to aid gravity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I also had issues with my cowl cover fitting back properly........wish I had known this trick at the time - makes perfect sense.

The rest of the kit was top notch and very easy to install - just seems like this item was not covered in the sticky very clearly.

Thanks Big Tom - seems like you are providing the best support on this product....lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Nicely detailed as usual David. Looks like you got it in just fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Nice writeup!

BTW you should get the M3 strut brace, especially as you track your car. It's a big improvement for a somewhat low cost.

Where did you book the Spa trackday if I may ask?
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Nice writeup!

BTW you should get the M3 strut brace, especially as you track your car. It's a big improvement for a somewhat low cost.

Where did you book the Spa trackday if I may ask?

Thanks Autobahn335i
    I'm not sure if this strutbar is any different from my M-spec strutbar I have now.
    My car is M-spec...
    If it is stiffer, it is certainly an option.
    Do you have a partnr for that strut bar?

I booked with Driving-fun.
    For Spa they cooperate with the Belgium Skylimit Events.
    Very different cars those Belgiums/Germans/Luxembourgers bring to track. Some of them ridiculously fast.
    Some pics in this thread

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Autobahn335i
    I'm not sure if this strutbar is any different from my M-spec strutbar I have now.
    My car is M-spec...
    If it is stiffer, it is certainly an option.
    Do you have a partnr for that strut bar?

I booked with Driving-fun.
    For Spa they cooperate with the Belgium Skylimit Events.
    Very different cars those Belgiums/Germans/Luxembourgers bring to track. Some of them ridiculously fast.
    Some pics in this thread
    Yes I just saw that thread. Awesome!! Click here to enlarge

The M3 strutbar is definitely stiffer. The stock brace is the same on any non-M3, M-sport or not. I can assure you that the improvement can be felt right away. Steering is more precise and the front end is more stable. I'll dig up the part numbers. There are threads about it on e90post but I can't access that at work.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nicely detailed as usual David. Looks like you got it in just fine.
    Thank you. I allways get mechanical things to do as I want it in the end Click here to enlarge