Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 48 of 48
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,104
    Rep Points
    1,398.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    Ha, the prototype for the turbo kit will be done b4 the intake manifold. I can build the tooling for the turbo kit by hand, the intake manifold will be a complicated mold bc of the way I have set the parting line. That is why I am waiting to cut the tooling on the CNC. The 4g63 manifold I made took about 40 hours for me to just build the tooling, that was after work, on Saturdays, after church on Sunday... It sucked. It would be twice that amount of time for the N54 bc of the angle. The CNC machine will cut that out in about 5 hours. It looks like I am taking on two large projects at one time, but I am not. When the intake manifold 3d model is done, I will shelve it until September. In the mean time, I can build the turbo kit.
    I like your priorities and I don't think I am alone...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,432
    Rep Points
    32,144.0
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    Ha, the prototype for the turbo kit will be done b4 the intake manifold. I can build the tooling for the turbo kit by hand, the intake manifold will be a complicated mold bc of the way I have set the parting line. That is why I am waiting to cut the tooling on the CNC. The 4g63 manifold I made took about 40 hours for me to just build the tooling, that was after work, on Saturdays, after church on Sunday... It sucked. It would be twice that amount of time for the N54 bc of the angle. The CNC machine will cut that out in about 5 hours. It looks like I am taking on two large projects at one time, but I am not. When the intake manifold 3d model is done, I will shelve it until September. In the mean time, I can build the turbo kit.
    That's fine, I look forward to seeing either come to fruition.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,350
    Rep Points
    2,779.7
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Yes Reputation No
    very nice start Click here to enlarge what quality of iron will you be using?


    on the diesels we use a good ductile iron for 3 piece exhaust manifolds, that dont usually rust and can take good heat expansion and contraction without loosening the bolts up.

    My question is, since the exhaust manifolds on the car now are stainless steel I believe, how is the expansion rate on say a cast iron manifold going to affect gasket seal, or the weight of the iron hanging on those tiny little studs that BMW uses for the exhaust?

    Just throwing some other ideas out there Click here to enlarge Im all for this, would be nice to get something other than those tiny little factory manifolds! How big are the garrett turbo assemblies you intend to use?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I need to count how many bolt holes there are in the exhaust manifold, but I remember there being a lot, but I can look at making a support bracket. Honestly, they will be about the same envelope size as the stock manifolds (minus the turbo). If you look on the "upgraded twins" thread that Drano started, we measured the stock turbos against the Garrett GTX28's and the 28's actually have a smaller envelope/footprint than the stock turbos, by an inch. I just became a Garrett whole seller last week, so I am about to order two GTX 2863's in a few weeks.

    Ductile iron is a very dead metal, it transfers heat very well, think of your mom's old cast iron skillet, the heat transfer is even and fairly slow, the same goes for cooling down. It also has a .05% shrink factor. Steel will shrink at a 2.0% rate, so everything we build for steel is built on a scale rule. It is literally .25 longer than a standard rule. Ductile Iron can be built on a standard rule, the shrinkage when being pored into a sand mold is extremely low. It will take a lot of torture before warping will occur.

    We can use any internally wastegated Garrett GT/GTX T28 turbo, they all use the same compressor and turbine housing. I don't want to say to much because of unmanned flying drones listing, pm me and I'll put on my tinfoil hat on, lol.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I just wanted to update you guys, I am having a two of these female/turbine side v-band flanges CNC'ed out of phenolic so I can design and mock up the O2 housing to the down pipe. Also, I am ordering two GTX 2863's soon, I will post pics of them. Bad news is that I had to pick up a little design work to pay for them, so I will be down for about a week, but if you have a S4 than look for a new cast Y-pipe this winter! It's okay because it will take that long to get these V-band flanges back from the machine shop. My CNC will be delivered late August, so things will go a lo quicker then. Later.

    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,927
    Rep Points
    1,376.8
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    I just wanted to update you guys, I am having a two of these female/turbine side v-band flanges CNC'ed out of phenolic so I can design and mock up the O2 housing to the down pipe. Also, I am ordering two GTX 2863's soon, I will post pics of them. Bad news is that I had to pick up a little design work to pay for them, so I will be down for about a week, but if you have a S4 than look for a new cast Y-pipe this winter! It's okay because it will take that long to get these V-band flanges back from the machine shop. My CNC will be delivered late August, so things will go a lo quicker then. Later.

    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    GTX 2863 twins and proper O2 sensor placements is the correct way to make big power.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    486
    Rep Points
    540.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    GTX 2863 twins and proper O2 sensor placements is the correct way to make big power.
    +1

    Click here to enlarge But don't tell Shiv! lol

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,797
    Rep Points
    2,565.5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    26


    Yes Reputation No
    Big Twins FTW!
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    925
    Rep Points
    930.8
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    This is looking pretty promising.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Here is the actual model I will be pulling my dimensions off of to do the mock up. This is what the flange (X2) will look like.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    292
    Rep Points
    372.9
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    My dream of twin disco potatoes looks promising with these manifolds. Can't wait to see the first one you get runningwith this setup.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    71
    Rep Points
    292.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Wow...this looks promising! Click here to enlarge Have you ordered the turbos yet?

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    Great stuff,im looking forward to this!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LuSt4Boost Click here to enlarge
    Wow...this looks promising! Click here to enlarge Have you ordered the turbos yet?
    No, most of my budget has gone to the intake manifold, and buying stock turbo parts, but I'm going to in a few weeks. I have a few more things to buy for the manifold, then I can get the turbos. I picked up some design work foe the Audi S4, but they haven't given me a purchase order yet, but hopefully they do soon, but I'm not counting on it. I'm probably going out of pocket for them.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    118
    Rep Points
    151.7
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Sweet, can't wait to see what comes of this. I like the idea of big twins! Good luck and God speed. Click here to enlarge
    Daily: 2007 Montego Blue E92 335i - Stock
    Weekend: 2008 Graffiti CBR 600RR - Two Brothers | CBR Heaven | Shogun | Motovation | Power Commander | Honda Racing


  16. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Folsom, Ca
    Posts
    182
    Rep Points
    436.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just out of curiosity, which Autodesk app are you using? Inventor?
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    407
    Rep Points
    39.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    subscribed for more info

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 Click here to enlarge
    Just out of curiosity, which Autodesk app are you using? Inventor?
    I am using Autodesk Inventor 2012 student edition, I switched from 11. I like it bc the interface is streamlined. If I want to perform a major function like draw a line, circle, arc or extrude I can just right click instead of choosing from a bank of functions at the top of the screen. Technically you could do that with 2011, but you still had to scroll from a list of options. Now they pop up in a circle around the cursor, I don't know why I like that more...but I do. I am upgrading to the full 2013 when it comes out, but it is like $12k, and I still have to buy a Visual Mill Professional in a few weeks to run the tool path and G-code on the CNC. Do you run a cad program?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    37.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Have you used ProE or Solidworks? I've never used Inventor so I don't know how it compares
    2008 E90 335i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS Back End Flash | BMS DCI | BMS DP's | COBB Exhaust | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS OCC

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    158
    Rep Points
    243.4
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3



    Yes Reputation No
    Unfortunately not, Autodesk Inventor is pretty much the standard in the tooling and mold industry, or at least all of my colleagues use it. It makes it easy to share, edit and link files. Even the local college I work with uses Autodesk. It also helps that the student version is free, I think solid works is $200, and I have never come across ProE. I still have another year under my student I.D. number with that college, then I can get another year free with my U of H i.d. when it's up, but I think that my shop will buy the full blown license next year.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    37.4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I tried to get Solidworks with my old college ID but with not being registered for any classes anymore they wouldn't let me. Lame...
    2008 E90 335i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS Back End Flash | BMS DCI | BMS DP's | COBB Exhaust | VRSF 7" FMIC | BMS OCC

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    119,432
    Rep Points
    32,144.0
    Mentioned
    2107 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    322


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SJ_1989 Click here to enlarge
    I tried to get Solidworks with my old college ID but with not being registered for any classes anymore they wouldn't let me. Lame...
    Register for some class, get the program, then drop the class and give them the middle finger.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Folsom, Ca
    Posts
    182
    Rep Points
    436.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    I am using Autodesk Inventor 2012 student edition, I switched from 11. I like it bc the interface is streamlined. If I want to perform a major function like draw a line, circle, arc or extrude I can just right click instead of choosing from a bank of functions at the top of the screen. Technically you could do that with 2011, but you still had to scroll from a list of options. Now they pop up in a circle around the cursor, I don't know why I like that more...but I do. I am upgrading to the full 2013 when it comes out, but it is like $12k, and I still have to buy a Visual Mill Professional in a few weeks to run the tool path and G-code on the CNC. Do you run a cad program?
    I am in Construction and deal with various types of Autodesk products. I am the Virtual Design and Construction Manager for a large GC. I just recognized the interface and with Autodesk gave it away. I've used inventor for heavy equipment, such as diesel generators, and such. Nice work, modeling is my passion.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
    Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / DCI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •