Close

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Are saying that Cobb/the DME uses throttle closures to stop you from going over the 1.28bar cap?
    Yes... It's annoying.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    I have a sudden, large timing drop on the top end that I can't explain. Timing goes from ~12.5 to about 4 degrees while WOT and over 6k. The timing tables show 12.x in these cells (it's the stock e30 timing tables) and there is NO timing corrections in any of the cylinders, but the timing does down non the less. Any ideas?

Attached is the image of the log and graph (this happened when winding-out 1st gear, on a 1-4 gear pull).

Can anyone explain why this may be? The only thing I can think of, is it is using the "Timing (Failsafe)" table, as it has the value of "4 deg" in this cell. I don't know when this tables gets triggered, however.

Thoughts?
    @Josh@Cobb

What causes the DME to go into the "Timing (Failsafe)" table? Any time I rev much over 6400 rpms (usually only in first gear), my timing goes WAY down to like 4 degrees, matching the values in the failsafe table (no knock, no timing corrections).

Any insight on the above is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    One thing I noticed recently in trying to prevent overboost/overload situations at light throttle in cool air is that even when using PID to pull the WGDC after PID down to almost 0, the bank numbers would still be in the 16+% range. Of the additional factors you mentioned (adders, pre-control) are they all added after PID? Which are subject to the ceiling and which are after the ceiling limit?
    +1 - I have the exact same problem and would greatly appreciate any insight into this too.
    2009 335i AT xdrive E90 Sedan
    7601494 Trans Flash
    MHD Custom Tune
    FBO + Rb Inlets

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    This is the DME i bought MSD80 from March 2007

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im..._zps675e-1.jpg
    Any results on if this helped out the timing issues.......Did you try flashing your MSD 81 with a different rom with winkFP to see if that would make a difference?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Yes... It's annoying.
    Well, this is semantics but the TC aren't what's actually limiting the boost. It's just the tool the DME uses to calm down over boosts.

As an experiment try playing with the "max throttle angle in over boost" table(may not be the name, I don't have ATR in front of me but you'll know it when you see it) and see what happens. There's more than that table involved but that's really more of an experiment than anything else. Also, if you're desperate there's always scaling MAP voltages...
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good info here guys. The Fail Safe table is pretty hard to kick into and I'm looking for a good way to add a monitor so that you can have a timing "mode".

I doubt you're going into the fail safe, but as mentioned, the DME uses a lot of methods for torque reduction.

We have been working on some things that are timing related. Hopefully they'll turn out to be helpful.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    Good info here guys. The Fail Safe table is pretty hard to kick into and I'm looking for a good way to add a monitor so that you can have a timing "mode".

I doubt you're going into the fail safe, but as mentioned, the DME uses a lot of methods for torque reduction.

We have been working on some things that are timing related. Hopefully they'll turn out to be helpful.
    for me, if I go over 6.5-6.6k, timing will go to 3-4 deg, with zero timing corrections on 1-6. The failsafe table is the only thing I can think of.

FWIW, I did not have this happen with Procede-only (or Procede flash), only when I switched to Cobb.

I guess, as an experiment I could up the values in the failsafe table for a single run just to confirm it is actually hitting that table, but I really don't want to remove any failsafes until I understand what condition causes the DME to do that.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    Also, I live just down the road from you if you want to see/test this yourself.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by harry Click here to enlarge
    Any results on if this helped out the timing issues.......Did you try flashing your MSD 81 with a different rom with winkFP to see if that would make a difference?
    it is my understand that everybody with AT and IJEOS have timing issues. some more and some less depending on how boost you are running. If nothing corrects this i will install the MSD80 and see.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, I live just down the road from you if you want to see/test this yourself.
    We've seen the timing drops before. I have logs from quite a few customers and we've been looking for a solution for some time now. Like I said, I have a couple things being tested and if they turn out to be useful even on a few cars, I'll release it so everyone can try it. I'll let you know if we need more testing though, thanks for the offer.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    for me, if I go over 6.5-6.6k, timing will go to 3-4 deg, with zero timing corrections on 1-6. The failsafe table is the only thing I can think of.
    Just curious, are you hitting your load target there? As I recall a lot of maps pull the target load way down right at the top of the rpm range. And my experience is that if you actually hit (or are getting close and climbing quickly) the target load you will see this behavior.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it is my understand that everybody with AT and IJEOS have timing issues. some more and some less depending on how boost you are running. If nothing corrects this i will install the MSD80 and see.
    I have IJEOS and AT as well....on race gas everything looks very happy but on pump gas even on stage 0 not happy at all,what will you be trying before installing MSD 80?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think Ghost issue is similar, in that DME is intervening, but not the same as typical boost overshoot torque compensation... sometimes there doesn't seem to be a strong correlation. The openflash screen shots show some different ign tables that ATR doesn't have... I wonder if these could be related.

ATR does have some funky named tables in one of the pro XML files, but I assume these have not shown improved results?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have IJEOS and AT as well....on race gas everything looks very happy but on pump gas even on stage 0 not happy at all,what will you be trying before installing MSD 80?
    I am testing with PTF. Running E50.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am testing with PTF. Running E50.
    Are things looking promising so far, can this be solved buy tuning alone?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    enrita.....any news......whats the Verdict?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    enrita.....any news......whats the Verdict?
    looking better , waiting for new revision from dzenno@PTF
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My issue is polar opposite to enritas in that my timing on pump gas is non existent but on race gas its all good, this seems to indicate chronic knock issues in that this engine really craves octane, is there a way to remedy this??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My issue is polar opposite to enritas in that my timing on pump gas is non existent but on race gas its all good, this seems to indicate chronic knock issues in that this engine really craves octane, is there a way to remedy this??
    Are you using the same gas station? I would try to confirm that your fuel source is consistent and of good quality. You canucks typically have great gas.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Are you using the same gas station? I would try to confirm that your fuel source is consistent and of good quality. You canucks typically have great gas.
    This has always been verry consistant over the years from all different sources.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    on pump (i only use Vpower and here in EU is very good gas , about 93.5/94 octane) i can run stage 2+ aggr load base map 4.5 -10.5 degrees timings without any major corrections or post shift issues. Its when i run much higher boost and timings that i have the issue.
    Must say that i just did a chemical valve cleaning (spraying in cp meth nozzle BK ISC product alternating with alcohol) and lots of carbon was burned off . now the car runs great with great throttle response and seems timing is better. Dont know if timing issues were solved by that or by new torque management logic from PTF but overall its improved and post shift is way better.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    on pump (i only use Vpower and here in EU is very good gas , about 93.5/94 octane) i can run stage 2+ aggr load base map 4.5 -10.5 degrees timings without any major corrections or post shift issues. Its when i run much higher boost and timings that i have the issue.
    Must say that i just did a chemical valve cleaning (spraying in cp meth nozzle BK ISC product alternating with alcohol) and lots of carbon was burned off . now the car runs great with great throttle response and seems timing is better. Dont know if timing issues were solved by that or by new torque management logic from PTF but overall its improved and post shift is way better.
    +

Are you still running the JB4 with this new PTF map with TQ management logic?
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    +

Are you still running the JB4 with this new PTF map with TQ management logic?
    Cobb only
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cobb only
    OK great, keep up posted!
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm seeing the same thing with Stage 2+ Aggressive on 93 pump only. Timing is dipping down to about 3-4* at around 6.3K rpm. A fix for this would be great! I have a FMIC, Injen intake, and AR catless dp's.

-Jeff

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast