Close

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Would it be possible to tune one of the FFTEC single turbo cars with Cobb/ATR or say, Vargas Stage 3 turbos with ATR? Anything standing in the way of that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1793 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would it be possible to tune one of the FFTEC single turbo cars with Cobb/ATR or say, Vargas Stage 3 turbos with ATR? Anything standing in the way of that?
    Yes, possible, but yes, couple things standing in the way.

First there is the sensor limit which is what, 18.7 psi or so? I mean this has been passed but the ECU from what I understand is not designed with much higher boost in mind so there are likely software issues Cobb is working on. Their main priority is not tuning for single or big turbo setups but obviously it's just a matter of progress on the software front and I'm sure they will eventually be able to accommodate whatever setup you want. They aren't going to half-ass it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes, possible, but yes, couple things standing in the way.

First there is the sensor limit which is what, 18.7 psi or so? I mean this has been passed but the ECU from what I understand is not designed with much higher boost in mind so there are likely software issues Cobb is working on. Their main priority is not tuning for single or big turbo setups but obviously it's just a matter of progress on the software front and I'm sure they will eventually be able to accommodate whatever setup you want. They aren't going to half-ass it.
    What if I only wanted to run 17-18 psi anyway? I think the single turbo cars were putting down ~550rwhp (FBIS's car) at 18psi on pump no meth, if I could make 475-500rwhp reliably at lower boost on big turbos (road course) I'd be all over that. Assuming I don't run over 20-ish psi, would there be anything standing in the way of that?

P.S. I thought ATR could handle the upgraded MAP sensor now? There's a MAP conversion table that gives voltage/psi so you could upgrade the sensor, I thought.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1793 Post(s)

P.S. I thought ATR could handle the upgraded MAP sensor now? There's a MAP conversion table that gives voltage/psi so you could upgrade the sensor, I thought.
    It probably can but this doesn't mean just because the MAP sensor can handle more that areas of the software still aren't limited to 18.7 psi.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It probably can but this doesn't mean just because the MAP sensor can handle more that areas of the software still aren't limited to 18.7 psi.
    I thought there are multiple people on this board running 22-23psi with RB's using Cobb/ATR/PTF?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Stock map sensor is 2.5 BAR so the cap is 22.05psi.

I've actually been wondering about ATR and different set ups. Theoretically, couldn't you just zero out all of the boost targeting, wastegate, and all other related tables?
    Click here to enlarge
    Differential Lockdown Braces for E9x & e8x
    Authorized Dealer of: BMS, FFTEC, Ventura Motorsports, and more

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

The MAP sensor is easy... its WG control thats tough. And you need full control of load/boost targets which we don't have now. Fuel (and VE potentially) needs to be remapped. There are also some torque limitations that Cobb doesn't seem to have a handle on. Im sure there's other semi-minor things that all add up to make this much tougher then many think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1793 Post(s)

I thought there are multiple people on this board running 22-23psi with RB's using Cobb/ATR/PTF?
    I'm sure there are I'm simply saying there are likely other software areas to explore that may be an issue with single turbos, larger twins, etc., that need to be addressed that may not be 100%. If they were, Cobb ATR would already be used for all the turbo upgrades.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

A single on an N54 has unique software issues due to O2 sensor placement. Vargas Stage 3s or any other twins that maintain the stock O2 sensor placement should be plug and play except for boost control issues that will probably be quickly solved by all the popular tuning solutions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Agreed that the stock MAP sensor can read to about 22 psi. In practice you would want your target to be a few psi less to allow programmed safety mechanisms to work correctly in the case of overshoot.

With ATR, if you increase the boost ceiling, the car becomes undriveable and the DME cannot seem to target much over 18 psi regardless of what your load targets are. Looks like stock turbo cars could easily run over 18 psi in the mid range for additional power.

You could use an higher pressure MAP sensor and rescale in ATR. You could even fudge in an offset so that your actual boost is higher than you reported boost. This could help keep you under the ceiling where the DME with its current software limitations is problematic. At first glance, this would seem to be OK, because most of the important tables reference load or MAF req. MAF and load are however dependent on MAP, RPM and other things like baro pressure and IAT. You would therefore have to rescale MAF vs MAP to make this work correctly and not throw all the other tables off. This scaling is usually contained in a VE table as I understand and we don't have access in ATR to the VE table.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Cobb's 18.x psi limit is just a bit in the code somewhere. As soon as they find/release the ability to toggle that off in the code it won't be an issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What happens (anything?) if you raise the load target above 190?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

For me nothing happens when I raise the load target above 190 because the boost targeting system won't let me reach loads above about 170 at my elevation in cool weather and 150s in hot weather.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

im trying to put together a 100% e85 cobb map is that possible? I have run 100% with jb4 and cobb stacked im just curious to see what a cobb can do by itself.
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I would be very careful unless you have an upgraded LPFP. It can certainly be done, just set the appropriate fuel scalar and keep one eye glued to AFR while logging to see if it starts to lean out. DME doesnt have run lean protection like JB4/PROcede.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

What happens (anything?) if you raise the load target above 190?
    In the E85 map im working on i run a requested load of 200 in the mid to upper RPM's. Just runs more boost but you are stilled capped at 1.28 bar.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I've run 100% e85 plenty of times... With the walbro LPFP, low pressure is fine it's the hpfp that can't handle it... I can run 100% e85 but need to spray 1300cc of 100% meth to keep the hpfp in check. Click here to enlarge
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    I've run 100% e85 plenty of times... With the walbro LPFP, low pressure is fine it's the hpfp that can't handle it... I can run 100% e85 but need to spray 1300cc of 100% meth to keep the hpfp in check. Click here to enlarge
    What does your boost curve look like on the Jb4?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    What does your boost curve look like on the Jb4?
    18psi tapering to 14
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    18psi tapering to 14
    Why not run a bit more? Is that 14 at redline? What psi do you see at 6-6.5k?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    im trying to put together a 100% e85 cobb map is that possible?
    Yeah, just start from the E30 race map and adjust the scalars to about 1.35 or 1.4. Then adjust timing to taste if desired. It'll run pretty well with no other adjustments than the scalars unless your fuel pressure starts falling off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, just start from the E30 race map and adjust the scalars to about 1.35 or 1.4. Then adjust timing to taste if desired. It'll run pretty well with no other adjustments than the scalars unless your fuel pressure starts falling off.
    tried this and it only boosts up to 7psi no codes just wont go any higher
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    tried this and it only boosts up to 7psi no codes just wont go any higher
    You have some kind of a hardware problem I think, I haven't heard of that happening to anybody else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Hi,

I have a question for ATR-knowledgeable people, I would like to modify the WGDC P-factor table but there are many "0" and "0.0" and "-0.0" values which I am sure they are different than 0 but ATR doesn't display them correctly. Is there any way/workaround/hack to find out the exact values and to safely replace them with other values ?

Thanks,
    Catalin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    Hi,

I have a question for ATR-knowledgeable people, I would like to modify the WGDC P-factor table but there are many "0" and "0.0" and "-0.0" values which I am sure they are different than 0 but ATR doesn't display them correctly. Is there any way/workaround/hack to find out the exact values and to safely replace them with other values ?

Thanks,
    Catalin
    Cobb needs to expand the decimal places. Use the "m" multiplier feature, but keep in mind you cannot copy/paste and need to remember your multipliers used if you want to transfer. hopefully that makes sense.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast