• Twin GT2871R

14 34.15%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Question Upgraded twins - N54

GT28RS (i.e. disco potato) or GT2871R? What do you guys think? Let's discuss some options...

Here's the current idea to get this done quick and on a budget (not me doing it by the way, someone else):

1) Twin Log style manifolds (much easier and cost effective than tubular and will work very well for up to 800hp)
    2) Twin GT28RS or Twin GT2871R (both are dual ball bearing)??
    3) Preserve water/oil lines. Oil lines will have restrictors built in as ball bearing are rated up to 40psi oil pressure, N54 runs twice that under any load
    4) T25??
    5) Which ar would work best? .63?
    6) Oil drains must remain gravity based
    7) O2 sensor bank situation remains just like stock, with the sensors in the downpipes instead of hot manifolds

I'm leaning heavily towards the twin disco potato setup on this car (GT28RS) for a neighbourhood of 600-650whp...Twin GT2871R would be good to 800wheel.

Yes, there are always other options (single turbo single/twin scroll), this thread isn't about that. Nor is it about a pic from cp-E of their work that they never finished. Would love to get some info what you guys think based on displacement of this motor how this particular setup would perform and what the ideal setup in terms of housing, ar would be in your opinion. Also, how do you think it would spool and how early each of them would hit full torque.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 06-14-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

The cool part is the two setups (turbo wise) are interchangeable. 28RS for the street racer, 2871R for the street/strip junkie
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Whichever is smaller, quicker spooling...from what you say, 650 wheel should be plenty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

My current thought: Twin GT28RS, .64 AR, T25

Each GT28RS in the above configuration should easily support 300-330whp (maxed at 350whp, so twins easily mid 600s, high 600s-700 all out), should fully spool in the mid 3k range

...and these are internally wastegated so you get to reuse your stock boost solenoids with either a flash tune or a piggyback
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge

Each GT28RS in the above configuration should easily support 300-330whp (maxed at 350whp, so twins easily mid 600s, high 600s-700 all out), should fully spool in the mid 3k range

...and these are internally wastegated so you get to reuse your stock boost solenoids with either a flash tune or a piggyback
    I am more concerned with fitment and the dangers of doing this on an auto tranny. I have a feeling these would be torquey as hell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    I am more concerned with fitment and the dangers of doing this on an auto tranny. I have a feeling these would be torquey as hell.
    dangers of damaging trannies is a different topic...let's try to just get some thoughts on this specific setup in terms of making power...tranny is an upgrade that is inevitable to all looking to seriously push power with the N54...i've gone through 3 clutches already, money wise that'd almost be an upgraded Level10 tranny Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    I read somewhere that Vishnu was attempting their single turbo on some auto, maybe? Both turbos would work well as like, let's say a stage 1 and stage 2.

Say goodby to your expensive down pipes. Honestly a cast iron manifold will be super easy. It's down pipe fitment within the constraints of the turbo location and engine bay. Also, how much more head room will the new turbos need in order to fit compared to the oil drain. If the new turbos need to be dropped a few inches would that hurt the draining?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    I read somewhere that Vishnu was attempting their single turbo on some auto, maybe? Both turbos would work well as like, let's say a stage 1 and stage 2.

Say goodby to your expensive down pipes. Honestly a cast iron manifold will be super easy. It's down pipe fitment within the constraints of the turbo location and engine bay. Also, how much more head room will the new turbos need in order to fit compared to the oil drain. If the new turbos need to be dropped a few inches would that hurt the draining?
    No, there's some room there to drop them a few inches compared to the drains...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

This is exactly what i want to do, if only my 335 wasnt my dd. I believe another challenge of the set-up would be the wastegates. The n54 is the first engine ive encountered that uses ass backword wastegate management. Most cars the wastegates are closed and open upon achieving whatever boost is dialed in. Does anyone make internal wastegates that are compatible?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

CP-E dropped their upgrade project? It looked challenging to say the least.

What would be the plan for getting the wastegates to work?1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Dzenno, I was thinking about the exact same set up. I used them a few years ago on my car and they worked great. The Disco Potato is an amazing turbo and would work for the 3.0 N54 motor. A cam is recommended with this turbo for full potential. You wouldn't get full power/spool until approximately ~4500RPM again depending on the cam lift.
    6-700whp is beyond the capacity of a stock engine. Without upgrading this motor with upgraded internals it may reach the limit. I agree with going with the .64A/R exhaust housing for improved spoolup. There are smaller ones available but it could limit maximum output.
    Who have you tapped for this potential project and did you get any ballpark pricing? What about the exh. manis for these bad boys?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Subbed, Dzenno leading the charge once again. I would go for whatever spools faster, its hard to walk away from the stock torque curve.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    This is exactly what i want to do, if only my 335 wasnt my dd. I believe another challenge of the set-up would be the wastegates. The n54 is the first engine ive encountered that uses ass backword wastegate management. Most cars the wastegates are closed and open upon achieving whatever boost is dialed in. Does anyone make internal wastegates that are compatible?
    Wouldn't it just need the stock vacuum source and then it could be resolved in tuning? Or is the garrett wastegate design inherently compatible?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    Wouldn't it just need the stock vacuum source and then it could be resolved in tuning? Or is the garrett wastegate design inherently compatible?
    The stock 335i turbos have the wastegates open by default vs most turbos that are closed by default. In a normal turbo the boost pressure in the vacuum line actually opens the wastegate. In the N54 it uses vacuum solenoids to pull the wastegate flapper closed and control boost by duty cycle. Great for preventing a car from overboosting, terrible for boost control lol. I'm sure its not too incredibly difficult to figure out a solution, just something that someone needs to put some time and effort into.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Setting wg position at any level of load is easy with both piggies and Cobb..no issue there...as long as its internal wastegated it should be relatively straightforward
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

http://n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14523

Logic tells me that if a forge wastegate is an option than it should work, unless they made a custom wastegate for the n54?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by orange Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno, I was thinking about the exact same set up. I used them a few years ago on my car and they worked great. The Disco Potato is an amazing turbo and would work for the 3.0 N54 motor. A cam is recommended with this turbo for full potential. You wouldn't get full power/spool until approximately ~4500RPM again depending on the cam lift.
    6-700whp is beyond the capacity of a stock engine. Without upgrading this motor with upgraded internals it may reach the limit. I agree with going with the .64A/R exhaust housing for improved spoolup. There are s maller ones available but it could limit maximum output.
    Who have you tapped for this potential project and did you get any ballpark pricing? What about the exh. manis for these bad boys?
    Pretty sure full spool with 28RS would be there before 4k...about 500rpm higher with the 2871R
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I like this topic Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

28rs for sure. The b5 s4 with that turbo push about 600+whp.

I would single that $#@! and go EFR. 7064
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Subbed, Dzenno leading the charge once again. I would go for whatever spools faster, its hard to walk away from the stock torque curve.
    And I see it is very diffacult to walk away from your 135i!Click here to enlarge

@dzenno is the person here in Toronto doing this?Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by farbmw Click here to enlarge
    And I see it is very diffacult to walk away from your 135i!Click here to enlarge

@dzenno is the person here in Toronto doing this?Click here to enlarge
    Nope, not me doing it. I'm just lending a hand to someone in the US...I have zero fab skills but i'm an N54 encyclopedia lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

For the Twin GT2871R do you think the exhaust manifold from the R32 GT-R would fit on the N54T with some modifications of course.

It looks like it may fit.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Nope, not me doing it. I'm just lending a hand to someone in the US...I have zero fab skills but i'm an N54 encyclopedia lol
    Damn straight you are!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would go with the GT28rs for quick spool.

I am planning on doing a twin turbo swap over the next 6 months also. I have been looking at using the TD04-19t or TD05-16G, both turbo's are cheap and will easily fit in there.

Keep us posted, I would like to see how the project goes.

Also has anyone considered cutting the stock turbo's off of the manifolds and welding an adapter on to bolt the new turbo to? I think the manifolds aren't too restrictive as long as the exhaust housing on the turbo isn't too small, I am considering this option since I have two stock turbos that won't sell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by streetluger Click here to enlarge
    I would go with the GT28rs for quick spool.

I am planning on doing a twin turbo swap over the next 6 months also. I have been looking at using the TD04-19t or TD05-16G, both turbo's are cheap and will easily fit in there.

Keep us posted, I would like to see how the project goes.

Also has anyone considered cutting the stock turbo's off of the manifolds and welding an adapter on to bolt the new turbo to? I think the manifolds aren't too restrictive as long as the exhaust housing on the turbo isn't too small, I am considering this option since I have two stock turbos that won't sell.
    Ive been thinking about this for a couple of months. My shop here does tons of custom turbo work, I just need to drop one off for them to look at and tell me what they think. I think the dp will be an issue and the wg dump.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast