Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

CSL airbox diagrams

I have a very clean E46 M3 in the shop right now, 33k miles on it. Owner decided to spend a boatload of cash on some very good mods:

OEM CSL airbox (and all hardware, straight from Germany)
    Supersprint V2 stepped headers and catless midpipe
    Eisenmann Sport rear section
    Alpha N tune

My question is does anyone have the diagrams of where all the brackets and everything goes? This guy picked up everything, and I mean EVERYTHING...all the way down to the different brake duct and assorted rubber snubs. I figure @0-60Motorsports would know, he seems to work on them all the time Click here to enlarge

Pics will be up later tonight when I get home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

A few guys here work with the CSL airboxes. I know @JAWS Motorsport can probably help as well as @evolve
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I'd recommend calling Epic Motorsports, he is pretty much the leader in doing these kinds of tunes of S54's.

He can also do them remotely. Drop the car off on the dyno, have someone drive it and he can tune it via the internet
    Alpha ///N - YouTube: 95CSL
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onurleft Click here to enlarge
    I'd recommend calling Epic Motorsports, he is pretty much the leader in doing these kinds of tunes of S54's.

He can also do them remotely. Drop the car off on the dyno, have someone drive it and he can tune it via the internet
    Haven't heard of epic, what makes you say they are the leader?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    All the diagrams should be on realoem.com I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Some DIY videos

DIY Thread for Evolve CF Airbox which is fairly similar to the CSL Airbox

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...CSL+Airbox+DIY

Your client is going to love the CSL Airbox with Stepped Headers. I have the Evolve CF Airbox, AlphaN, and SS V1 Stepped Headers. My car pulls incredibly hard all the way from the bottom of the powerband to the top end.

Epic Motorsports and Evolve Automotive are both, I believe, to be the top contenders in the MSS54 tuning industry. I think it's pretty difficult to say that one is better than the other. I recently saw a dyno of a E46 M3 with the Epic AlphaN and SS Stepped Headers, he didn't seem to gain any power from until after 6300RPM. On the contrary, I've seen dynos of Evolve's AlphaN showing gains throughout the whole powerband.

Both Epic and Evolve have tuned some extremely strong cars all over the world. You definitely can't go wrong with either!
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    I have a very clean E46 M3 in the shop right now, 33k miles on it. Owner decided to spend a boatload of cash on some very good mods:

OEM CSL airbox (and all hardware, straight from Germany)
    Supersprint V2 stepped headers and catless midpipe
    Eisenmann Sport rear section
    Alpha N tune

My question is does anyone have the diagrams of where all the brackets and everything goes? This guy picked up everything, and I mean EVERYTHING...all the way down to the different brake duct and assorted rubber snubs. I figure @0-60Motorsports would know, he seems to work on them all the time Click here to enlarge

Pics will be up later tonight when I get home.
    Matt

Hey bro check out my thread: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...N-TUNE-PROJECT

Pm me or post in this thread if you have any other questions for me or Alex Click here to enlarge

Ejaz
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Thanks for the help guys Click here to enlarge. Its my first one and although one local guy did a DIY, its kinda missing a few steps lol...which is why I posted here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the help guys Click here to enlarge. Its my first one and although one local guy did a DIY, its kinda missing a few steps lol...which is why I posted here.
    Our pleasure. That's why we're all here, to help each other. Feel free to ask any questions if you get stuck.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Our pleasure. That's why we're all here, to help each other. Feel free to ask any questions if you get stuck.
    Sounds good to me Click here to enlarge. The Eisenmann rear section is installed, along with the headers. I will finish up the install on Monday as I have a 335 tomorrow that needs to be finished (poor fitting downpipes held me up today)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Sounds good to me Click here to enlarge. The Eisenmann rear section is installed, along with the headers. I will finish up the install on Monday as I have a 335 tomorrow that needs to be finished (poor fitting downpipes held me up today)
    Sounds great brother. Don't forget the pics please.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice cf

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Airbox is going in today, I have an AIT sensor that came with the kit but Im not sure what it is from...and I have no harness plug to go with it. The owner of the car said he was waiting for something from ECS Tuning to complete the kit but did not say, the parts should be here tomorrow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Do you have a photo of the IAT? Is it just the sensor or are there a couple wires that stick out?

I used the Evolve Automotive IAT and soldered the two wires back into the DME instead of chopping off the MAF. I believe a few people with supercharger kits that run AlphaN have been doing the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Do you have a photo of the IAT? Is it just the sensor or are there a couple wires that stick out?

I used the Evolve Automotive IAT and soldered the two wires back into the DME instead of chopping off the MAF. I believe a few people with supercharger kits that run AlphaN have been doing the same.

I'll take a picture of it in a bit and post it up. I think its an OEM BMW one, it looks similar to the coolant temp sensor in the lower hose.

I managed to have a plug from an ESS supercharger waterpump lying around, so I have a flying lead to run wires back to the DME or the MAF (I saw someone just jumping two wires on the MAF harness for the IAT?)

Other than that, the box went in like a glove, I prolly spent 2-2.5 hours total getting the old one out and the new one in. Since I am dealing with a US spec bumper I have to see how I can route the lower air duct and get it attached to the OEM US spec brake duct.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I'll take a picture of it in a bit and post it up. I think its an OEM BMW one, it looks similar to the coolant temp sensor in the lower hose.

I managed to have a plug from an ESS supercharger waterpump lying around, so I have a flying lead to run wires back to the DME or the MAF (I saw someone just jumping two wires on the MAF harness for the IAT?)

Other than that, the box went in like a glove, I prolly spent 2-2.5 hours total getting the old one out and the new one in. Since I am dealing with a US spec bumper I have to see how I can route the lower air duct and get it attached to the OEM US spec brake duct.
    Nice, it's great to hear that install is going well thus far!

In regards to the ducting. There are a few people who have played with some of the OE CSL and non-CSL ducting to make it work with the US brake duct. If your client is ok with it, it may require the use of some cutting. You probably won't have to use all the OE CSL ducting to make it feed into the bumper.

In regards to the IAT, I have attached a photo of the one that Evolve provides with their Airbox or sells separately. It made it incredibly easy to just tap into the DME and leave the MAF completely alone. I personally like the idea of going to the DME because it looks cleaner and looks completely unmodified. I then tucked away my MAF where it really can't be seen. If you want me to take pics of how mine was wired and tapped, I can definitely do so later today or tomorrow.

I am definitely excited to see you guys finalize your own solution. It'll be rather exciting to hear the reaction of you all when you first start it.

On another note, I highly recommend reset adaptations a ton of times after the install. It'll make the car run a bit happier when you convert to AlphaN.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Here are a few links to help inspire you on how to use the CSL ducting with US-spec bumper Click here to enlarge

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=383430

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=400054

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

From what Sal told me, we are using ESS' own Alpha N style tune. I was unaware of them making such a flash, but I guess we will see how it performs later this week Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

From what Sal told me, we are using ESS' own Alpha N style tune. I was unaware of them making such a flash, but I guess we will see how it performs later this week Click here to enlarge
    Oh, PERFECT! ESS Tuning should also provide an IAT Harness and E-Flash with the AlphaN tune Click here to enlarge

I can't wait to see what power you and ESS pull out of this motor!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Haven't heard of epic, what makes you say they are the leader?
    If you look at BMW CCA Club Racing (the fast BMW's that matter) the cars winning CM "C-Modified" - (E46 M3's, S54 Swapped E30 M3's/E36's) Epic Motorsports set up cars have arguably won with the S54 more than anyone else. If you move up to DM (Sprint cars, 450whp S54's) Epic has a huge presence there as well. They are in close conjunction with Bimmerworld.
    So what i'm saying is, he's setting up factory ECU cars to compete with cars with Motec's (10k+) and the lot and has been on top in endurance and sprint series for some time (i.e was on the cover of SportsCar or Grassroots?)

Also the numbers he puts out are very impressive. I've seen good things from Evolve, but i'd never settle with a mail order flash when I could have Randy remote tune it on the dyno. You'd make more power everywhere, every time no matter what. I'm not aware if Evolve does this or not..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

If you look at BMW CCA Club Racing (the fast BMW's that matter) the cars winning CM "C-Modified" - (E46 M3's, S54 Swapped E30 M3's/E36's) Epic Motorsports set up cars have arguably won with the S54 more than anyone else. If you move up to DM (Sprint cars, 450whp S54's) Epic has a huge presence there as well. They are in close conjunction with Bimmerworld.
    So what i'm saying is, he's setting up factory ECU cars to compete with cars with Motec's (10k+) and the lot and has been on top in endurance and sprint series for some time (i.e was on the cover of SportsCar or Grassroots?)

Also the numbers he puts out are very impressive. I've seen good things from Evolve, but i'd never settle with a mail order flash when I could have Randy remote tune it on the dyno. You'd make more power everywhere, every time no matter what. I'm not aware if Evolve does this or not..
    EVOLVE does do the remote tuning flash! Every customers tune is different based on his/her requirements, mods etc etc.

Plus if you want a race tune EVOLVE has a great rep in europe for doing the tuning for a lot of racing teams. They have absolutely no probs in doing FULL race tunes.

My car is running perfect and did 299whp with 55c + IAT's and 41c Air Temps, heat soaked, three constant runs without stopping. Yesterday was 115f and i had the M3 out and was flooring it in the heat just to see what it would do, Thanks God no hiccups what so ever. Just saying that i try and test stuff like its meant to be tested (in our heat) and the tune's been on my car for 1.5 years withou any issues. It just puts a smile on my face every time i get in the car, start and drive off. Click here to enlarge

Thanks to my brothers at EVOLVE Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

This is solid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    EVOLVE does do the remote tuning flash! Every customers tune is different based on his/her requirements, mods etc etc.

Plus if you want a race tune EVOLVE has a great rep in europe for doing the tuning for a lot of racing teams. They have absolutely no probs in doing FULL race tunes.

My car is running perfect and did 299whp with 55c + IAT's and 41c Air Temps, heat soaked, three constant runs without stopping. Yesterday was 115f and i had the M3 out and was flooring it in the heat just to see what it would do, Thanks God no hiccups what so ever. Just saying that i try and test stuff like its meant to be tested (in our heat) and the tune's been on my car for 1.5 years withou any issues. It just puts a smile on my face every time i get in the car, start and drive off. Click here to enlarge

Thanks to my brothers at EVOLVE Click here to enlarge

Like I was saying, Evolve does some pretty cool stuff and I love their products.

However, you've pointed out something... 299whp is pretty darn low for your modifications, even with a remote flash off of a dyno but 41 degree's C is hot, however my experience says the humidity is what's really going to affect results if theirs sufficient airflow.

Here's my dyno. Mind you my only modifications are Bimmerworld CSL intake and Ebay headers/catless. Stock mid pipes, stock E36 M3 cat-back, no pullies, no tricks, no flywheel.
    Click here to enlarge

Now an S54 with SS V1 Stepped headers, BW Plenum and BW single exhaust. Tuned by Randy

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Like I was saying, Evolve does some pretty cool stuff and I love their products.

However, you've pointed out something... 299whp is pretty darn low for your modifications, even with a remote flash off of a dyno.

Here's my dyno. Mind you my only modifications are Bimmerworld CSL intake and Ebay headers/catless. Stock mid pipes, stock E36 M3 cat-back, no pullies, no tricks, no flywheel.
    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...36Final1-1.jpg

Now an S54 with SS V1 Stepped headers, BW Plenum and BW single exhaust. Tuned by Randy

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...46M3dyno-1.png
    Very nice mods. My numbers are actually perfect according to our horrible US91 fuel and High heat temps. Keeping in mind safety the tune is perfect. I can go and buy some 94US fuel and upload my other evolve tune and dyno but I've been too busy lately. I will get around to it in a few months for sure.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Very nice mods. My numbers are actually perfect according to our horrible US91 fuel and High heat temps. Keeping in mind safety the tune is perfect. I can go and buy some 94US fuel and upload my other evolve tune and dyno but I've been too busy lately. I will get around to it in a few months for sure.
    I wouldn't say perfect. I'm in the Southeast USA, it's hot here and way more humid. It's not uncommon to see an S54 with > 300whp, no header, no intake plenum in our coniditions. The engine's do vary greatly in output though but the fuel difference is marginal

Keep us posted on the results
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Comparing results from different dynos can be a rather crap shoot. From all the dynos I have been seeing from so many different cars, setups, and tunes, I have come to realize that it's just a waist of time. There is just so much variance in results that it's not even fair to compare. It's more important to focus on the change in power on the same car and same dyno. There is no doubt that Epic produces powerful cars, but not all of them will put down that 340-350whp on every dyno. I've seen a dyno of a car with similar mods put done 330...another 320...and another right under 300whp. The same has happened for Evolve tunes. Some cars put down 300whp on their own dyno, another puts down almost 320whp on another....way too much variance in conditions, dyno calibration, dyno maintenance, modifications...we all know the story Click here to enlarge

But back on topic, Matt@AutoCouture, let's see some OE CSL CF goodness so we can all drool!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast