Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Battery Registration Questions....Again

Sorry guys I know there've been lots of threads on this on other forums but I'm not able to locate answers to my specific questions and am not sure where else to ask (please move this if this forum is not the appropriate location). Any help is appreciated.

When I purchased my new (used) 2007 335i coupe, one of the conditions was to replace the battery, since the one that was in it wasn't holding enough amps (sorry if my terminology is off a little). The battery was replaced and the car works fine except when I turn off the engine; after as little as a minute (sometimes a bit more) the battery icon shows on my dash and the accessories turn off.

I called the dealer where I purchased the car because I was concerned and they mentioned they had just learned that you needed to "register" the battery, which they hadn't. I knew this, and assumed they did as well, but I guess not.

So now I have 2 questions:

1. Will registering the battery actually solve the issue of my battery light coming on shortly after shutting off my engine? I'm not sure I believe that this is solely a battery registration issue, but who knows?
    2. I've had the car for about a month now with an unregistered battery; should I request that they replace it again before registering? From what I understand the life of this new battery could be severely diminished due to not registering it, even though I've only been driving the car a month.

Thanks again for any feedback!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Registring the battery to the car will ensure that the right charge and discharge caracteristics are set in the car's DME.
    The battery now peobably has not got the same settings as yur old battery has, so the car may expect a drop in voltage (or not) after engine shutdown. Anyways, it is experiencing something unexpected, hence the warning light.
    Registring the battery would solve this issue. Strange that the garage did not do this when they replaced the battery.
    Driving around wirh an unregistered battery will not damage the battery much. At least not enough to request a replacement.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by abs Click here to enlarge
    Sorry guys I know there've been lots of threads on this on other forums but I'm not able to locate answers to my specific questions and am not sure where else to ask (please move this if this forum is not the appropriate location). Any help is appreciated.
    It's fine, this issue needs clarification.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Register the battery, also if the AH (amp-hours) is different you will need to code that as well. Either through VO or editing a config file (the former being the preferred method).