Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

GT500 vs ZL1 Track Numbers

Interesting to say the least... Someone is way faster and someone handles way better. I need a road course to call a winner...

We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

That is soo sick. I'm surprised the zl1 is that slow in the 1/4. I can't believe that it handles that much better in such a big body.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    That is soo sick. I'm surprised the zl1 is that slow in the 1/4. I can't believe that it handles that much better in such a big body.

not surprised in the least bit
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Skipping the quarter mile times its the trap speeds that amaze me for the GT500 and then the G's on the ZL1
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

i feel like each car was made with different things in mind
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

well considering suspension of the ZL1 vs. suspension of the GT500, i can see why one handles better than the other
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

GT500 all day every day.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I wouldn't say the ZL1 handles all that much better, it's close.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't say the ZL1 handles all that much better, it's close.
    Actually it isn't close at all. With those numbers the ZL1 is probably 2 sec faster on a track like Laguna Seca or Road Atlanta.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ultimateendz Click here to enlarge
    i feel like each car was made with different things in mind
    I agree. I imagine the reason is because the GT500 never had a chance to compete in the handling department with the IRS/magnetic ride ZL1, so big power it was going to be. Still, the GT500 looks very dialed in and it's extremely impressive. The ZL1's exhaust sounds amazing and IMO it's the best sounding exhaust on an LS engine to date.

I also want to see these cars compete on a road course.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    Skipping the quarter mile times its the trap speeds that amaze me for the GT500 and then the G's on the ZL1
    Yea, that's what I was talking about. It's 6mph faster trap! The G on the Zl1 is sick. It has a lot to do with tires as well though. Does it have the michelin super pilot sport cup $#@! w/e.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Actually it isn't close at all. With those numbers the ZL1 is probably 2 sec faster on a track like Laguna Seca or Road Atlanta.
    Agreed, the slalom was faster and the mustang barely did better in braking.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

GT500 all day every day.
    reallly? im digging the zl1... then again im not a dragster kinda guy ;P

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    reallly? im digging the zl1... then again im not a dragster kinda guy ;P
    Same here. I would take the ZL1 over the GT500.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

you gotta drive these new muscle cars in person tho. i've noticed. you can't see $#@! outta alot of them which is a bummer. i like a fast car but i like a view too!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I think Z could hold it's own on a shorter track with the higher grip levels and strong braking. Long tracks with more straights or high speed corners will be the GT500's playground IMO
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I just read the whole article and the ZL1 gets the GT500's lunch per the article on the backroads. Flat walking away from it... I hate eating crow but I stand corrected. Kudos to Chevy they sneaked up on the GT500 and $#@! slapped it then ran away LOL. Literally
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Things to remember. The ZL1 has a less efficient supercharger and poorer cooling on the supercharger and engine side of the equation. All of the equals a dog around the track after a couple laps. It is already showing massive amounts of timing being pulled after just one pass in the 1/4 due to heat. The GT500 isn't showing hardly any timing reduction after multiple back to back laps. Put this on a road course and it will be amplified.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

We have to see, doesn't look huge to me. The GT500 may prove to be faster around the track with the power and slightly better braking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sonny Click here to enlarge
    I agree. I imagine the reason is because the GT500 never had a chance to compete in the handling department with the IRS/magnetic ride ZL1, so big power it was going to be. Still, the GT500 looks very dialed in and it's extremely impressive. The ZL1's exhaust sounds amazing and IMO it's the best sounding exhaust on an LS engine to date.

I also want to see these cars compete on a road course.
    The solid rear sure seems to be hurting the Mustang a bit. It could be MUCH better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 Click here to enlarge
    Things to remember. The ZL1 has a less efficient supercharger and poorer cooling on the supercharger and engine side of the equation. All of the equals a dog around the track after a couple laps. It is already showing massive amounts of timing being pulled after just one pass in the 1/4 due to heat. The GT500 isn't showing hardly any timing reduction after multiple back to back laps. Put this on a road course and it will be amplified.

Interesting point you bring up. I think this is partly due to the fact that the GT500 was designed to go 200 mph and to do that the engine needs to be very well cooled because it is heavily loaded at that speed.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    you gotta drive these new muscle cars in person tho. i've noticed. you can't see $#@! outta alot of them which is a bummer. i like a fast car but i like a view too!
    The view out of the C5 Camaro is aweful. I had one and when I got the C63 it felt like I was driving a cargo van because just the view out of the front windshield was so much better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The solid rear sure seems to be hurting the Mustang a bit. It could be MUCH better.
    Indeed. And it likely will be when the MY 2015/2016 comes out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 Click here to enlarge
    The 1.9L blower is a big reason for the heat issue on the ZL1.

When I had a C5 Camaro, I was looking to get it blown. So, I took it out to this little club I know about in TJ... jk

But, seriously I was shopping for superchargers and I was really considering a 1.9L blower. I was talking to some tuning shops around the country that were installing some of the 1.9L blowers as well as 2.8L KB's. A very well known tuner in Atlanta told me kind of on the low that although the 1.9L makes great power, especially torque from down low, he was noticing some really high IAT's after repeated pulls on the dyno. He was seeing less heat soak on the 2.8L KB's.

Ironically, KB's turned out to have some heat issues of their own.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

I don't know if you've tried Mustang LS or not. That thing handles like a dream... Well in a Mustang-ish way. But i have to say it's better than M3. With proper suspension, a solid real axle can be good too though i don't deny that it can be better with IRS.

At the end though, i would scratch all of these muscle cars and get a Corvette. It's more suited for a person like me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Does anyone know what tires are these cars running as OEM spec? No doubt the solid rear on the GT500 is hurting it, but if it's running $#@!ty tires as well, it never really stood a chance to compete in the handling arena.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast