Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mat Morkin Click here to enlarge
    did not include aux port injectors
    But you can add these, correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

No problem with heat here. All my charge piping post FMIC for instance is thin aluminum. I've never had any IAT issues or heat soak problems. Let's not invent issues here guys. Every engine bay gets decent enough venting, not like this one is sealed away fully. You can also coat it any way you like, that's not the point of this thread I think. Point is to discuss the limitation in design of the stock manifold and the advantage of this redesigned unit which I like.

I'm in favour of this mani. Mat, looking forward to it!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    So wait, I am bit confused here because I have hard time believing that a heat soaked aluminium intake manifold will produce the same IAT temps as compared to a plastic one given the same amount of methanol being injected. ...unless of course you are trying to literally drown the engine in methanol by hooking it up to a garden hose.

The intent is not to drown the engine with meth. I highly doubt youll need a whole lot more meth with an aluminum manifold. I am all for the manifold, but just use it with meth if you want to get maximum gains because IT WILL heat up the air.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    but just use it with meth if you want to get maximum gains
    but yes of course Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Dzenno, you try it first haha. If you like it I'll buy it LOL
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It will be made out of Aluminum. No plastic, no unobtanium, good old fashioned aluminum. Stop worrying about heat, it will be fine. I know it is not apples to apples, most performance cars have a aluminum manifold, get past it. I don't do injection molding, so if the market demands a plastic aftermarket manifold, it will not be me whom does it. I will have a phonaluc spacer cut very soon, two to three weeks. My goal is to produce a bolt on manifold that will work within the constraints of the n54 in order to sell so I can buy the car and make more parts for the n54. That's my mission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

DBFIU, could I send young file and have you sim the air flow? I am changing the plenum up a bit, the protrusion has to stay bc of the oil filter body, sucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

DBFIU, could I send young file and have you sim the air flow? I am changing the plenum up a bit, the protrusion has to stay bc of the oil filter body, sucks.
    As a side note, does anyone realize now why cyl1 timing logs aren't the best to use to base tuning off of and why most of the time it'll be the quitest cylinder of the 6 Click here to enlarge just throwing that out
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Good mission and I hope for the best. Sub'd for updates
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Can't we leave meth out of the equation? Not everyone runs that devil's stuff Click here to enlarge

I wouldn't want to rely on meth to a point where the car will basically disintegrate itself in case of a meth flow failure (which are quite common...).
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    As a side note, does anyone realize now why cyl1 timing logs aren't the best to use to base tuning off of and why most of the time it'll be the quitest cylinder of the 6 Click here to enlarge just throwing that out
    Ohh no! How dare you say that! Lord Voldemort will be all over you along with his sheep army!
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Can't we leave meth out of the equation? Not everyone runs that devil's stuff Click here to enlarge

I wouldn't want to rely on meth to a point where the car will basically disintegrate itself in case of a meth flow failure (which are quite common...).

+ 1 Trillion!
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

It will be made out of Aluminum. No plastic, no unobtanium, good old fashioned aluminum. Stop worrying about heat, it will be fine. I know it is not apples to apples, most performance cars have a aluminum manifold, get past it. I don't do injection molding, so if the market demands a plastic aftermarket manifold, it will not be me whom does it. I will have a phonaluc spacer cut very soon, two to three weeks. My goal is to produce a bolt on manifold that will work within the constraints of the n54 in order to sell so I can buy the car and make more parts for the n54. That's my mission.

Fine then. Build your prototype, do some testing and then post the results. I would be first to admit that I was wrong in saying aluminium is a poor chose in this particular application and I'll gladly eat my shoe.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Fine then. Build your prototype, do some testing and then post the results. I would be first to admit that I was wrong in saying aluminium is a poor chose in this particular application and I'll gladly eat my shoe.
    it does not matter what you think. he will only do ALU so lets see how it goes. ER was developping an intake mani as well but after 2 years i gave up asking them . i think material was Stainless stea, no alu.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I don't know about you guys, but when I open my engine bay each time and look in it to see all the plastic....I'm pretty sure BMW didn't have "heat" on their mind when they went with that route. It's most likely all about cost, they probably calculated that it would be much cheaper to go with plastic than with metal and Gunther made it happen.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I would do stainless, but does any one want a 25lbs manifold?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    I don't know about you guys, but when I open my engine bay each time and look in it to see all the plastic....I'm pretty sure BMW didn't have "heat" on their mind when they went with that route. It's most likely all about cost, they probably calculated that it would be much cheaper to go with plastic than with metal and Gunther made it happen.
    Yep, there might be $15 of plastic in that manifold. The mold for that would cost A LOT, but that over 10 of thousands of cars and it is super cheap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Mat, I'd just go ahead with the aluminum one and not worry about heat to be honest. There are great coatings to be used if so desired by the end user.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

i doubt their would be a problem using aluminum and like dzenno said the end user could coat it or even wrap it in heat shield material.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

The more simple the design the lower the cost. Stuff like coatings and meth bungs and heat shields will add more time to the production of the manifold, reflecting in a higher price. Port injection, which I plan on developing as a Gen. II, will almost certainly double the price. I can put some generic bosses, in which you guys, the end user can further customize it. My CNC machine can cut the crap out of phenolic, so I can do that in house to save money. No problem, however I was planning on offering different paint schemes, flat red, flat black, flat white or polished aluminum for an extra price. Cool?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Cool just keep in mind if you intend to start selling this piece and advertising it you will fall under vendor guidelines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

How long does it take to come up with the intake? Several months?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Cool just keep in mind if you intend to start selling this piece and advertising it you will fall under vendor guidelines.
    I understand.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    How long does it take to come up with the intake? Several months?
    Yes, we should have a casting sample this fall, then I will become a vender, release prices, group buy, etc...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I don't know why everyone is so concerned about the heat difference.... The spacer should help with conduction off the head. Other than that, do you think there is THAT big of a difference between the heat transfer rates through very thin plastic vs. comparatively thick aluminum alloy? I have my Heat Transfer book sitting right in front of me, maybe I'll do a quick calc later... Something tells me you are all overreacting though Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast