Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Good info whoosh! +1 rep points from me.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Something interesting as well:

A state law approved in Minnesota in 2005 mandates that ethanol comprise 20 percent of all gasoline sold in this American state beginning in 2013. Successful tests have been conducted to determined the performance under E20 by current vehicles and fuel dispensing equipment designed for E10.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I've bee running 50/50 e85 for a couple of months now. I run it on Map 3 on my JB4 with meth and have also ran Terry's new Map 5 autotune for e85. I have noticed that as I target much higher boost on e85 it hits the targets pretty well, the same as when I run race gas. I will post some logs when I get home for you guys. Overall my car on Map 5 with no meth is almost as fast as the car on 93 oct with meth per the VD. I will also post the VD from the testing I did later.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I read a thread where Terry suggested something like 25 or 30% mix on jb4 map 2. Thats what ive done a couple of times. I only mix in a couple of gallons....havent done a 50/50 mix yet. I do prefer to use 100 octane though, since it is available at a pump less than 30 mins from my home.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yeah, I wish I had some unleaded race gas readily avialable. Our shop here that we get our meth from only carries leaded race fuel. I guess I could try to talk him into ordering a drum of unleaded MS109. That would be pretty bad ass.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

E85 is $3.09 a gallon where i am in MD.....the 100 octane at the pump i was referring to in my last post, is $7.10 a gallon....e85 does seem like a cheaper alternative though lol, im just not comfortable with running large amounts of it mixed with pump. I think I'll stick to 25% e85 mixes until we see more results lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Been doing 60%(E85)40%(91) for about a month on map 5 tune only.
    So far so good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Here's some links on e85, apparently you can't really compare octane ratings of e85 to regular gasoline.

This forum has tons of good first hand knowledge on e85 and the potential it has:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=408570&page=4

Here another one on using e85 with direct injection on turbocharged cars:

http://web.mit.edu/mitei/lfee/progra...2006-01-rp.pdf

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Aaaah, I see now. You go for the double benefit of AKI increase and charge cooling! I guess I'll give it a try this weekend as my gas tank is nearly empty. I have an E85 station 2 miles from my condo.
    Yes! Another sheep to ride the bandwagon with us very confused people! (taken from your words)

that there are going to be a lot of sheep who will start blending E85 and AKI 93
    so many people jumping on the E85 bandwagon
    It appears that there are a lot of people who are very very confused about E85
    LOL - before you neg rep me, this is just a joke. But perhaps you should've left the passive aggressive dergatory remarks out and just asked if there was another reason. Some of us on here know a little more than just what the tuners feed us.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    LOL - before you neg rep me, this is just a joke..
    Dude, lay down the pipe! I gave you positive rep, not negative...

EDIT: Besides, I have no idea why you are taking any offense in what I've said. I did not call anyone stupid or accused any vendor of wrong doing. Yes, there are a bunch of sheep running around who need their daily dose of vendor spoon feeding. We all know who those are and if you took this to heart and got offended then that's your problem. I started this thread with demonstrating that E85 does not provide any serious advantages over premium 93 pump fuel as far as AKI is concerned. That's why I wanted to find out what am I missing.
    Last edited by vasillalov; 06-08-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Dude, lay down the pipe! I gave you positive rep, not negative...

EDIT: Besides, I have no idea why you are taking any offense in what I've said. I did not call anyone stupid or accused any vendor of wrong doing. Yes, there are a bunch of sheep running around who need their daily dose of vendor spoon feeding. We all know who those are and if you took this to heart and got offended then that's your problem. I started this thread with demonstrating that E85 does not provide any serious advantages over premium 93 pump fuel as far as AKI is concerned. That's why I wanted to find out what am I missing.
    No problem. I took no offense at all. I just found a little humor in the way things went and poked a little fun. I'm glad that you took it lightly, as that is how I intended it. Cheers!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Cool beans. Click here to enlarge Have a good a cold one of these:

Click here to enlarge
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

^^ Rasputin!? Talk about sheep following false deities. Click here to enlarge
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Well I have been mixing E85 with 99okt RON for well over a year and had zero issues, first tank only 20% to give the DME time to adapt. Ever since 40-50% E85...

My fuel trims is not maxed out even on map7 without meth, but my DD setup is JB4 w 15ohms and a 60 additive (peak boost around 19PSI) on the E85 mix with perfect timing.
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 Click here to enlarge
    You are forgetting that E85 has a cooler intake charge. Here is a description on wiki. About halfway down.

So yes the effective octane may not be as high as you think. But the fuel itself is different thus having different chemical properties. The cooler intake charge helps a lot to cool the cylinder temps and decrease the chance of knock. That is why it makes more power than a similar octane rated gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Some vehicles can actually be converted to use E85 despite not being specifically built for it. Because of the lower heating value E85 has a cooler intake charge—which, coupled with its high stability level from its high octane rating—has also been used as a "power adder" in turbocharged performance vehicles. These modifications have not only resulted in lower GHG emissions, but also resulted in 10-12% power and torque increase at the wheels. Because of its low price (less than $2.00/gal in some places) and high availability in certain areas people have started to turn to using it in place of high-end racing fuels, which typically cost over $10.00/gal.
    Awesome post.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Other things I've discovered that make me bit weary about pure E85:
    First I have heard of this and definitely would concern me if I was running E85.

Have not seen anyone have any of these issues though and it certainly does not seem to be prevalent.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

So I went to my local E85 station and put 4 gallons of E85 and the rest (about 12 gallons) of premium AKI 93. Switched to Cobb Stage 2+ Aggressive map and reset all ECU adaptations.

Boost oscillations are still there with v 3.01map. Now, I am highly confident that those oscillations are not due to ECU pulling timing.

Drove around a bit and here are my observations:

* The timing does not get pulled as much in the hot weather. It was over 90F ambient yesterday in Chicago. This is by observing the ignition advance via the P3 boost gauge. I am still to take a proper log of this fuel mix.
    * Engine runs cooler. The oil temps NEVER went above 240F, including while sitting in traffic and when "raping it" on LSD. In such conditions, the oil temps will hover around 250F.
    * Car pulls like a freight train.
    * Exhaust smells a bit different. It has a bit of a sweeter smell to it now and slightly less pungent.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Coming from an E85 powered Evo, I had to experiment with E85 on my 135i when I got it around this time last year. I have run 50/50 mixes of 93 and E85 for about 9 to 10 months now with no issues. I have managed to get a few codes when I go overboard on the mix, but nothing that affects drivability. I basically did this when I used to run the JB4 in order to use map 7 on a daily basis before all the rage kicked in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    50/50 e85:93 oct. Map 5.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

logs pretty much look like mine (but I'm on an 18ohm board peaking at 17.5psi) on Map 5. Looks great, excellent timing curve!
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I've notice my oil temps being lower too. It's hard to fathom the idea that adding a little bit of E85 can do that much, but it definitely will and definitely not a placebo effect; everything just feels all-around more positive.

So I went to my local E85 station and put 4 gallons of E85 and the rest (about 12 gallons) of premium AKI 93. Switched to Cobb Stage 2+ Aggressive map and reset all ECU adaptations.

Boost oscillations are still there with v 3.01map. Now, I am highly confident that those oscillations are not due to ECU pulling timing.

Drove around a bit and here are my observations:

* The timing does not get pulled as much in the hot weather. It was over 90F ambient yesterday in Chicago. This is by observing the ignition advance via the P3 boost gauge. I am still to take a proper log of this fuel mix.
    * Engine runs cooler. The oil temps NEVER went above 240F, including while sitting in traffic and when "raping it" on LSD. In such conditions, the oil temps will hover around 250F.
    * Car pulls like a freight train.
    * Exhaust smells a bit different. It has a bit of a sweeter smell to it now and slightly less pungent.
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Ive been running e85 mixed with 93 octane for the past month ranging from a 20% mix to a 40% mix as of yesterday and car has been runninf great. No idle issues or cold start issues. And def pulls alot harder..

My timing has def improved and smoothed out and down low i hit 17 psi compared to 14-15 on pump 93 alone..
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Of course it does, you're car is drinking bourbon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

40% mix, not noticing any significant decrease in MPG despite driving the car hard. Oil temp during cruise is lower, but most of my driving is in rural mountains so the car works harder in those sections.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Fuel consumption is definitely worse here. I'd be lucky if I make 200 miles out of that gas tank. Normally I get around 250 in Chicago.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast