Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BMS tuning evolution - Adopting CAN

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

great, so on the freeway if I get close to you, I will be able to hijack your tune and take control of your car.

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

You can play two player halo with your DME.

That's why we need bluetooth.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is bluetooth integration important? I don't even see the need for it, what would it offer?
    Howw about tuning your tune with your phone? Or not having to run a usb cable to your laptop. Imagine a wireless link to a meth and/or nitrous controller. It would make installation and unistallation a lot easier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Howw about tuning your tune with your phone? Or not having to run a usb cable to your laptop. Imagine a wireless link to a meth and/or nitrous controller. It would make installation and unistallation a lot easier.
    while Bluetooth is kinda cool, at this stage, I would be weary of turning it on.. since it's security features are not the best. And yes, who's interested in hacking a cars tune? as soon as they find out it's there, someone will... maybe nice to have it there, and when there's enough security, be able to patch it.. but I wouldn't turn it on myself.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    I prefer something like that hardwired. Imagine signal interference right when you need it to work right.... or imagine the bluetooth going out. I'll take the bandwidth and consistency offered by wires.
    $100 fantasy football league, register here (ONE SPOT OPEN): http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ague-2014-2015

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    You can play two player halo with your DME.

That's why we need bluetooth.
    This is actually brilliant. We can finally settle the JB3 vs. Procede by having the tunes have a deathmatch.
    $100 fantasy football league, register here (ONE SPOT OPEN): http://www.germanboost.com/showthrea...ague-2014-2015

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Why is bluetooth integration important? I don't even see the need for it, what would it offer?
    You be able to tune and change settings wirelessly.
    Able to set up gauges, lambda readings, timing, boost, etc. on your phone or an iPad for more real-estate.
    You can setup a security code between devices. 4 number security code (0000-9999). How likely is someone going to hack your tune. Come on guys.
    Able to log or read from anywhere inside the car(cordless).

I know is not a must, but this a feature that will set a new tune apart from the others in the market.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AltecBX Click here to enlarge
    Able to set up gauges, lambda readings, timing, boost, etc. on your phone or an iPad for more real-estate.
    You can setup a security code between devices. 4 number security code (0000-9999). How likely is someone going to hack your tune. Come on guys.

I know is not a must, but this a feature that will set a new tune apart from the others in the market.
    you'd be surprised how easily this can be done...
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

I guess it is a bell and whistle but not one I would need. I can just use a cable and prefer using a cable. For those that actually want this, I guess a nice addition.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1

Love the thread by the way..... just quietly reading....

Will the new JB board have a Bluetooth transceiver to connect wireless?
    I can see this differentently itself from other tunes now. Terry, i know is more than a $0.94 CANtransiver but you can defiantly get more users onboard with this innovation, especially since you're still in the developing stages so you don't have to add it in a year from now if other come out with it to compete. Think of less and less laptop are selling because of smartphone taking market share and replacing day to day things people do on tier laptop. You'll be able to have people use their smart phones, laptops, PDA, etc...no matter what platform they use.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i know if seen your name around before.. cant place it yet.. so, a BT is only for jb3 customers? come one now, thats just regurgitating some proceed ***huggin slander again. i havent seen anything worthwhile from the V4 in months. autotune? noone has posted anything relevent other than how it "feels", well, i like how the jb feels when i decide to use 493hp at my toes, controlled so beautifully by the "outdated" JB3.

so, who is the fanboi?
    My name has no relevance and no need to stroke your ego.......we're both fanboi's , just at different ends of the tuning spectrum. Some see the benefit of a more complete functional tune, CANbus has afforded our platform. Others more skeptical of the benefits discount it without any foresight and then turn 360 degrees with their own implementation. I think both tuners can learn from each other, if only they could put their ego's aside and acknowledge the innovative effort put in, we would all benefit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky66 Click here to enlarge
    My name has no relevance and no need to stroke your ego.......we're both fanboi's , just at different ends of the tuning spectrum. Some see the benefit of a more complete functional tune, CANbus has afforded our platform. Others more skeptical of the benefits discount it without any foresight and then turn 360 degrees with their own implementation. I think both tuners can learn from each other, if only they could put their ego's aside and acknowledge the innovative effort put in, we would all benefit.

Ahh, finally we agree (on a few things) Click here to enlarge

Up until the RB's, the JB3 has been the best option. I cant see how thats an arguable point. stock turbo/no nos both are on an even playing field, "same" power, same times, huge fanbase on both sides. Cost,ease of installation, support etc.. 1 of them cant compare Click here to enlarge

85-95% of the community is not going to new turbo's/N20, so in that regard the market is still there. The few of us, as stated, that want the more features are what pushed anything further.

But this is why we are on this forum, to learn the perspective from both sides and gather the information and make our own decisions on what we need/want and from who.
    Last edited by LostMarine; 07-07-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)

We're waiting for some components to finalize the first beta PCB. But while we wait I'm familiarizing myself with MPLAB/C30 programming and our new PIC24. Generally Vlad, our embedded engineer, does the heavy lifting in the firmware but as MPLAB is a new environment for me thought it would be fun to dig in. So what better way to start than writing the "infamously complicated" CPS offsetting code?

I can't show you the actual code for obvious reasons but it's around 25 lines and currently allows retarding of up to 6 degrees. When time permits we'll expand that to +- 12 degrees. Very happy to see how well the processor keeps up considering it's one level lower than model we've selected for the new board. And the damn thing is so small it still blows my mind a bit. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

^ That is pretty cool! What is the factor that allows you either 6 or 12 degrees of control?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)

It's just a matter of sitting around programming for it. Advancing timing requires a lot more code and thought. I may leave that bit to Vlad. But I like to stay personally involved and up to speed on the programming side so I can show ours guys how its done from time to time. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It's just a matter of sitting around programming for it. Advancing timing requires a lot more code and thought. I may leave that bit to Vlad. But I like to stay personally involved and up to speed on the programming side so I can show ours guys how its done from time to time. Click here to enlarge
    So is this version going to abandon having the factory DME make all the timing changes itself and if so, why? Or are you just showing it has the capability to do so?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

wait for it... wait for it.......waaaaaait for it.............

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    So is this version going to abandon having the factory DME make all the timing changes itself and if so, why? Or are you just showing it has the capability to do so?
    CPS offsetting is a form of advance limiting that has been oversold by some piggyback makers as full timing control. In this application it's not. It just sets the ceiling for how high the ECU can advance timing using the adaptive system. So the adaptive system may arrive at 8 degrees as your perfect timing for the conditions/moment in time. 13 degrees may be the maximum it could ever raise timing for that RPM, load, baro, IAT, etc, if say octane improved. Then with the advance limiter you can come in and say you want that maximum to be X degrees less (or more) than the normal maximum. Too high nerfs performance so generally 2-4 degrees is used by those that run this system. This lets the adaptive system function but limits how high it can target. They claim it reduces knock and makes for a safer platform. It doesn't. But these 16-bit processors can accommodate CPS very easily and we'll need it for other non-N54 applications.

In higher HP applications it may be useful for holding off preignition in situations where the user is unwilling to lower boost. We'll see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

keep it coming
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

great thread (again) this is why this forum is interfearing with normal family life in sweden Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed, this is why this forum helps people figure out what is right for them. Shiv need's to find a "mike" to get on this forum and represent his views. I've said it before, become a vendor in an unbiased (mostly) environment. It can only help you make sales and get ideas for product improvement - otherwise, you run the risk of having "groupthink" on e90 with everyone always congratulating you, never offering constructive criticism, also, another problem is with the diehard fanboys always jumping in and ruining said criticisms.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1471 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by encinitas Click here to enlarge
    Agreed, this is why this forum helps people figure out what is right for them. Shiv need's to find a "mike" to get on this forum and represent his views. I've said it before, become a vendor in an unbiased (mostly) environment. It can only help you make sales and get ideas for product improvement - otherwise, you run the risk of having "groupthink" on e90 with everyone always congratulating you, never offering constructive criticism, also, another problem is with the diehard fanboys always jumping in and ruining said criticisms.
    You guys are making me blush.

I really like what I am seeing as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I am actually having trouble sleeping at night knowing this is coming. I am stoked about the possibilities.
    2008 E92 M3 - 6MT - Jerez Black
    | Evolve | Apex | H&R | Exotics Tuning |

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345