Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Good! If your spal fan has an adj controller you can change the temp setting on it.
    Curios if anyone knows the actual operating range? I know 190-234 is normal for most engines. What actual temperature is considered "hot" for a S54? I have a PLX DM-150 that allows me to monitor real time my actual water temp. When the gauge reaches the 2/3's, or the second dot the car is around 220.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    Curios if anyone knows the actual operating range? I know 190-234 is normal for most engines. What actual temperature is considered "hot" for a S54? I have a PLX DM-150 that allows me to monitor real time my actual water temp. When the gauge reaches the 2/3's, or the second dot the car is around 220.
    Excellent question. If no one knows the answer off hand I'll call a few guys who race who will know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yeah Bro Go ahead and check please. I would like to know too.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Excellent question. If no one knows the answer off hand I'll call a few guys who race who will know.
    Well did my road test and I am very satisfied! I didn't have to turn my AC off haha!!

There were a few notable differences. First, the oil temps drop quickly once on the freeway. Going from traffic to open road you can literally watch the oil temp gauge slowly drop lol!!

Water temps are slightly better as they were before, however it takes much longer now for the motor to heat up with the A/C on. I also notice it takes a little longer for the water temps to drop once back on open road from traffic. I assume this is due to the large oil cooler.

Overall, my oil and water temps are seeing a good 10% overall improvement. I would say the install was a success. I will be doing a bit more road testing. I am attending a large rally tomorrow from Houston to Austin for http://512project.com

If everything checks out, I will draw up a full parts list and DIY so anyone else can copy my setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if your water temps start to bother you a bit, the BMW motorsport thermostat together with the motorsport fan clutch, greatly improves cooling in the TX heat. i run them with good results, except in the winter months switch back to the OEM thermostat. the MS TS runs a little too cool in the winter months.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TwinturboM3
    I bang the chickens on my farm 60-130 times a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome. Funkboy is right, for water temps, the motorsport thermo and fan clutch work amazingly! My car hardly ever sees the middle mark on the water temp gauge. Its just my oil temp gauge bothers me as it it past the middle mark alot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Funkboy316 Click here to enlarge
    if your water temps start to bother you a bit, the BMW motorsport thermostat together with the motorsport fan clutch, greatly improves cooling in the TX heat. i run them with good results, except in the winter months switch back to the OEM thermostat. the MS TS runs a little too cool in the winter months.
    Do you have a part number for a MOTORSPORT Fan Clutch? Thanks
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    +1 I wonder if it will work with the e36 as well?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont have the number but maybe i can find it on the ETK, i jbought mine from AA.
    l will post back later if i locate the part number, maybe i can see it on the actual part on the car.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

So AA's fan clutch is a BMW OEM motorsports FC? let us know the Part number bro. Cheers.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

i dont have the number but maybe i can find it on the ETK, i jbought mine from AA.
    l will post back later if i locate the part number, maybe i can see it on the actual part on the car.
    Yes, please try and locate the part number.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Turner Motorsport hast the BMW Motorsport 55 degree S54 thermostat: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=11531417215

This thermostat works for the S50/S52 E36's as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I've got the 55 stat already, but I'm just using an OEM fan clutch.

Drove the car from Houston to Austin for the Mayday Garage "Capital Run" to 512project.com. I left a bit early because it was OMG hot outside lol.. On the way back traffic was light so I decided to drive the car as it was intended to be driven. I got nailed by the law about 3/4 way back to Houston.. 88 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. Thank You Valentine One!!!! It saved my ass big time.. Let's just say I was going a little faster than that haha.. The officer was cool, wasn't a prick or anything. He saw that I was ex-military from my driver license pic and I think that was why he was not a dick to me. He did inform me that they had received a few phone calls about my excessive speed and very respectfully asked me to "slow down a little" haha.. Again.. I have a new found respect for my Valentine One. I know that officer was waiting for my car to laze, I had no fore warning whatsoever.. just a full signal bar and a loud BBBLLLLEEEEEETTTTTTT... Stomp'd on the brakes... lol..

I had no issues with cooling.. car running at a very brisk pace was only running 176 - 185 water temps and the oil temps were around 190- 200. In light traffic, I never saw water over 195 or oil over 205. This was done on one hot mofo day too.. so I say mission accomplished.

I will finish off this thread later by posting all the mods I did to the cooling system and the parts used etc..

Here is a pic from the early morning cruise to Austin..

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by ccsykes; 06-27-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Hard to fly under the radar with a bright green car Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I was asking for the PN for the motorsports fan clutch.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I was asking for the PN for the motorsports fan clutch.
    Still trying to find it but I thought the part Turner carries would help?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Awesome, get us a DIY!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Looking good bro! Is the meth system up and running yet or are you still waiting for the controller?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I love that green. Paint them brakes green my friend. I think I've said that in all your threads lol. Sorry for ot. As you were.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Keep in mind though.. once your car gets up to operating temps, having these items don't benefit the car much. Your fan clutch will already be fully engaged no matter what fan clutch you use and chances of your water temps dropping below 180 are slim when driving the car around. So your thermostat will be open all the time anyway no matter what stat you use.

These items are good for track cars, or daily driven cars that track occasionally, in which the slower heat up time is very beneficial. All those items really do is make it take longer for the car to heat up to full operating temps, they do nothing to help the car run cooler... In the winter they may even be a liability..

Going with a larger or more efficient radiator, or oil cooler is the only way to really reduce temps.. the rest just effect the time in which the cars heats up, or cools down.

Just so long as everyone knows that..
    Last edited by ccsykes; 06-27-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    Looking good bro! Is the meth system up and running yet or are you still waiting for the controller?
    Not yet, the controller has not even been released yet. Mine is still pending..

http://www.labontemotorsports.com/st...dshow/S4G.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    Keep in mind though.. once your car gets up to operating temps, having these items don't benefit the car much. Your fan clutch will already be fully engaged no matter what fan clutch you use and chances of your water temps dropping below 180 are slim when driving the car around. So your thermostat will be open all the time anyway no matter what stat you use.

These items are good for track cars, or daily driven cars that track occasionally, in which the slower heat up time is very beneficial. All those items really do is make it take longer for the car to heat up to full operating temps, they do nothing to help the car run cooler... In the winter they may even be a liability..

Going with a larger or more efficient radiator, or oil cooler is the only way to really reduce temps.. the rest just effect the time in which the cars heats up, or cools down.

Just so long as everyone knows that..
    Exactly!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thats why i take the thermostat out in the winter months....the car never fully reaches operating temp with it in the winter months, it does run way too cool to be good for the motor. for whatever reason, i do see cooler water temps in the summer months with the 55 degree thermostat and motorsport fan clutch. and thats daily driving it with a few autocross events. the one road track day i had was a disaster and i didnt get to drive the car long enough to see how well it did.

i had replaced my alternator a week before and upon re-installing the intake manifold i got some of the hose clamps aligned wrong and the TB arm was hitting the "screw part" and not opening all the way, car drove fine until i tracked it where i was realllly pushing it. car drove like ass and i couldnt figure out why i was having throttle issues, well duh, it wasnt opening all the way....lol.....so what do you do when your car is running like ass, you send it to HPF and upgrade from stage 2 to 2.5.....lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Okay guys.. the rest of my parts to complete the Methanol plumbing side of the system came in. The Labonte S4 controller still has not been stocked so all that I'm lacking is the controller. I'll be installing the remaining plumbing later this week.

In other news.. my damn alternator went out! The battery light had been flickering under heavy acceleration.. so it came as no surprise when it finnaly went out. I was close enough to home I just drove the car on the battery charge.

So.. now I will be replacing my alternator and battery... along with completing the methanol system..

Yes.. I still owe you guys a DIY..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

^ No rush on the DIY but we would love to have it obviously.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast