Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Funkboy316 Click here to enlarge
    you have an AA oil cap on a VF SC car...shame shame...lol
    The economy is bad.. I try and spread the love around.. I have bought something from almost every major vendor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Are you doing this all yourself?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Are you doing this all yourself?
    Of course.. I built the entire car myself in my little garage.. I've been building performance/race cars for 20 years lol.. The only thing I can't take credit for is the paint and the upholstery. Everything else.. all me. I have found BMW's to be the easiest vehicles to mod. The only thing that sucks are the special tools BMW makes you buy.. bleh!

Here is a video of my modding the car..

Here are some shots of the completed manifold I worked on this evening in the comfort of my air-conditioned office lol..

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Impressed! Might be excessive for a meth setup but it makes sense with the water cooled manifold. But you could have possibly gotten away with a simple 1 or 2 nozzle system.

Also good job with the oil cooler! Im very much so interested in seeing the results although im also waiting for the HPF oil cooler kit to be released.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Major props to you, I don't think I would be able to do what you have. I could try, but it probably would not go well.

Your work is very clean and done well. Going to take a look at your video now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TaZaM3 Click here to enlarge
    Impressed! Might be excessive for a meth setup but it makes sense with the water cooled manifold. But you could have possibly gotten away with a simple 1 or 2 nozzle system.

Also good job with the oil cooler! Im very much so interested in seeing the results although im also waiting for the HPF oil cooler kit to be released.
    He is doing it right. Above and beyond what anyone else would do but separates the best the from the rest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He is doing it right. Above and beyond what anyone else would do but separates the best the from the rest.
    Well thanks.. I try to take pride in my work and do it the right way and not take short cuts.

Here was my last major project.. 1964 VW Bug. I restored the interior, exterior and built a 2110 motor that put out over 200HP.. ran 12's in the 1/4 mile and boy was it a crazy ride. I was forever replacing snapped clutch cables due to the heavy race clutch I had.

I was considering building my own S54 engine, I have the experience, but the tools to do the build would have cost me more than simply paying someone outright Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has to be tested, has he measured the amount of meth this will actually shoot into the motor? It might be excessive, you dont need that much meth. But maybe he is controlling it to flow very little, thats all it might need. As far as right way, for nitrous yes for meth might be excessive. But still very impressive, no doubt about it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought about the HPF kit, but they were saying it would be priced around $500 or so.. It might be a big oil cooler, but big doesn't make it better. It is also still in the OEM location. If your running a FMIC or VF charge cooler your still restricting air flow.

Key to cooling oil is not the size of the cooler, but it's ability to dissipate heat. My Setrab cooler was close to $400 alone, they are simply the best coolers on the market and there is data to back that up. NASCAR almost uses them exclusively they were also real popular with the aircooled VW and Porsche crowds. The price tag on the HPF kit tells me they are using a basic cooler, not a top of the line cooler. There selling point will be pointing out it's "massive size" whereas a Setrab cooler a 1/3 of the size will probably out cool it lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This has to be tested, has he measured the amount of meth this will actually shoot into the motor? It might be excessive, you dont need that much meth. But maybe he is controlling it to flow very little, thats all it might need. As far as right way, for nitrous yes for meth might be excessive. But still very impressive, no doubt about it!
    I've calculated the ml/min.. not my first rodeo Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ccsykes Click here to enlarge
    I thought about the HPF kit, but they were saying it would be priced around $500 or so.. It might be a big oil cooler, but big doesn't make it better. It is also still in the OEM location. If your running a FMIC or VF charge cooler your still restricting air flow.

Key to cooling oil is not the size of the cooler, but it's ability to dissipate heat. My Setrab cooler was close to $400 alone, they are simply the best coolers on the market and there is data to back that up. NASCAR almost uses them exclusively they were also real popular with the aircooled VW and Porsche crowds. The price tag on the HPF kit tells me they are using a basic cooler, not a top of the line cooler. There selling point will be pointing out it's "massive size" whereas a Setrab cooler a 1/3 of the size will probably out cool it lol.
    Good points! Let us know how it works out. My oil temps like to go to the middle and past it sometimes and i dont like it. I want a DIY oil cooler setup that will help. I also heard the HPF kit will use a new cover that wil direct air to it better. I dont know, my FMIC and radiator are pretty large so they cover alot of area.

Nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with this, I like seeing the oil cooler up there able to get perfect direct air. Any more info/pics of what you are using at the filter housing?

When I spoke to Snow Performance, they told me that 2 175ml's flow more than 1 350ml, and that it doesn't quite work like that. Idk how accurate that info is, but the guys at Snow Perf always seem to know what they are talking about...

I don't think you will have much of a issue cause you got some pretty small nozzles and you can control it pretty good with a progressive controller.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I was about to ask and then I saw this post, good stuff.

Would you mind sharing some of the calculations? I don't even know where to start with something like that, how do you calculate it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should definitely make a DIY for this oil cooler to help a bunch of us out!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was about to ask and then I saw this post, good stuff.

Would you mind sharing some of the calculations? I don't even know where to start with something like that, how do you calculate it?
    I spoke with Dan at Labonte at length, we discussed the HP, engine etc.. The new S4 controller gives you amazing tun-ability. I'm starting out with the smallest nozzles first, I will tune up from there. Keep in mind this is custom so there is some trial and error involved.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

OP is raping the vendors with this thread, and I like it.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should definitely make a DIY for this oil cooler to help a bunch of us out!
    Once I make sure it works haha.. it is somewhat experimental.. I will do a DIY and parts list break down.

I didn't install the oil diverter valve, it would have simply required to much work. I also didn't have enough hose length. I will do the diverter valve when I pull the motor later this year for a build out. So right now all I have done is relocate the oil cooler using a top of the line Setrab.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    OP is raping the vendors with this thread, and I like it.
    Vendors have their place... but remember one thing.. they are in business to make a profit and their marketing is designed to help them make that profit. I know, I'm a marketing executive...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

I like this guy! Doing things right the first time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Vendors have their place... but remember one thing.. they are in business to make a profit and their marketing is designed to help them make that profit. I know, I'm a marketing executive...
    This is correct. Just pointing out the fact you are out doing some out on the market, and they maybe weeping alittle. Btw I designed marketing.

I keed
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More work done today car is back together.. now I wait for the controller..

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice setup, sucks you had to cut the strut bar. Maybe there's another one that will fit in between the nozzles.
    Click here to enlarge
    1977 S30Z

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Wow man, you really know what the hell you are doing.

That looks like a work of art under the hood. I want my car to have beautiful anodized fittings like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow man, you really know what the hell you are doing.

That looks like a work of art under the hood. I want my car to have beautiful anodized fittings like that.
    Just did my idle test, let the car idle for a good 45 mins. W/O AC on, the car was running at 195 water and about 205 engine oil. Outside temps are in the 90's. AIT was 130.

With the A/C on full, windows down, the car did start to heat up, I turned the A/C off once it hit 206 water, however the engine oil never changed much. I realize 206 is not the OMG point, but it did take much longer for the car to begin heating up than before, so short 5-10 min stops in traffic should not be a problem.

Oil cooler intake lines were hot to touch.. the return line was noticeably cooler, so the cooler appears to be workign even at idle with the Spal/Engine fan combo.

I'll be road testing it later today to see what kind of freeway temps I get etc.. Today is a good day for testing as it is going to be high relative 90's (high 80's with high humidity).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Good! If your spal fan has an adj controller you can change the temp setting on it.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast